PDA

View Full Version : G550 v Global starting procedures

Gulfstreamaviator
22nd Oct 2009, 05:46
I understand that these have the same engines.

I understand they have the same FADEC.

I do not understand why the starting procedures are different, as advised to me by a recurrent instructor.

Any inupt appreciated.

gl, not cl flyer

FLEXJET
22nd Oct 2009, 08:05
There are somme differences (max thrust higher on the G550, Gulfstream's BR700 not fitted with an inlet TAT probe and probably others I ignore).

I am not familiar with Gs but here is some info for starting a Global:

-For an AUTO ground start the FADEC will prevent fuel flow until ITT
is below 150 °C.
-If an engine start is conducted between 20 minutes to 5 hours from
engine shutdown, the FADEC will automatically crank the engine for
30 seconds after reaching 15% N2 . At the end of the 30 second
period, the IGN icon will appear followed by fuel flow and then
light-off indication.
-For airplane operations in excess of three operating hours, the
engine oil system must be verified FULL prior to flight.
-The FDR FAIL advisory message should go out after the first
engine has started.
-If the start is aborted due to no light-off, high ITT, stalled start or
unburned fuel, dry crank the engine until ITT is less than 150 °C or
starter limit.

APU ASSIST AUTO ENGINE START:
1. ENG START ............................................................ .............AUTO
For engine to be started:
2. ENG RUN switch ............................................................ .... ON
• Starter engages.
• START icon appears horizontally above the N2 readout.
• N2 and N1 readout.
• IGN icon will appear vertically above the N2readout at approximately 15% N2.
• OIL PRESS rising, amber icon will turn to green at approximately 35 psi.
When N2 reaches approximately 20% RPM:
• FUEL FLOW indication, approximately 450 − 600 PPH.
• Light-off indication, just after starter cutout − maximum ITT approximately
400−500 °C.
When N2 reaches approximately 42% RPM:
• IGN icon disappears.
• Starter disengages.
• START icon disappears.
When N2 reaches approximately 62% RPM:
• N1 stabilizes at approximately 25%.
• Check that oil pressure is within normal range.
• Check that oil temperature rising, amber icon will turn to green at approximately
20 °C.

specialbrew
22nd Oct 2009, 09:30
Engine start for the Global.

1. Engine run switch...................................RUN.

----------------END OF CHECKLIST-----------------

I was horrified when I had a 550 demo recently, how many additional things have to done considering its the same engine.

fl610
22nd Oct 2009, 21:34
I was horrified when I had a 550 demo recently, how many additional things have to done considering its the same engine.

Well we could teach you to start the 550 if you like but we wouldn't want to spoil you by putting you in a decent aircraft. :E :E

mystere-falcon
22nd Oct 2009, 21:55
a decent aircraft ?
a narrow tube without slats ? :E

galaxy flyer
23rd Oct 2009, 02:23
GLEX start for all conditions EXCEPT tailwind (evidently, the FADEC cannot get the ATIS and aircraft heading...

BATT--ON

APU-momentarily to START, then RUN

When APU established:

1st ENG to be started--RUN

When 1st ENG at IDLE:

2nd ENG to be started--RUN

Begin AFTER START

Joke, move those four switches to their positions, get coffee, return to running airplane.

Note, Bleed Management Computers will select A/C Packs on to begin cooling cabin, will automatically shutdown packs for each start, then back on. All generators (4, count 'em 4) will automatically be brought on when within limits.

I was told the G 550 starts like a G II because Gulfstream didn't want to change anything.

GF

Gulfstreamaviator
23rd Oct 2009, 07:30
1m US$ per engine and can not tell left from right.

Thats why no tail wind for start with the GLX FADEC.

But the real question still unswered why the G550 is so complicted in its offical proceure.

I know several G550 guys who just light the fires, however as the G350 and G450 is the same TR, one day they will do the same on the otherts. Not so nice I suspect.

Re G550 being same check list as G2, is not far from the truth. Glf are reluctant in changing any grandfathered stuff.

glf

galaxy flyer
23rd Oct 2009, 23:40
GLF

Yes, it is a "grandfathered" certificate and Gulfstream isn't changing too much. Newer plane, newer procedures.

GF

DA50driver
24th Oct 2009, 00:17
I am amazed anyone could say that even as a joke. These planes (I fly the 450, 5 and 550)are pretty damn simple. I used to fly old piston powered airplanes, that was actual work. Now I have a copilot and not much of a checklist to do. If it were any simpler I might fall asleep on my way to Minneapolis:)

Have the argument about A vs B, or Globals against Gulfstreams all day, but please do not call these procedures long or cumbersome. I made a comment to my fellow pilot just the other day about how little there is left to do in these airplanes. I want the boss to see that I am busy moving knobs and stuff so he feels that I am worth the money he has to fork over. Once a monkey can do my job I suspect the pay will be peanuts.

For Mr. Mystere- Falcon. I used to fly the Falcon 50 and 900, absolutely fantastic airplanes. However, the narrow tube with no slats will perform better than a 900 on short field any day for equal length missions. (The G5 and 550. The 450 is a runway hog. The 5 with half tanks will go as far as a 900 with full tanks from less runway). Do you know why the 900 has 3 engines? They didn't have room for four. (it is quite underpowered. I used to think it was a powerful airplane until I started flying G5's)

fl610
24th Oct 2009, 19:59
Do you know why the 900 has 3 engines? They didn't have room for four. (it is quite underpowered. I used to think it was a powerful airplane until I started flying G5's)

Wot he said! :}