PDA

View Full Version : Well Said John Nicholl

Wholigan
1st Feb 2002, 17:38
Listened to Jimmy Young show (yes - sad I know) on way home from yet another day of no flying due to shabby weather. John, you made many good points and I liked the way you emphasised that the Services are stretched by too many tasks with too few assets.

The only addition I would have made is to say that - in my opinion - the money needed to meet the Govt's over-ambitious aspirations to be the world's policeman and to maintain a huge level of influence in the world community will NEVER be forthcoming. Therefore, the only solution is to lower the sights of ambition and reduce the number of commitments. The short-term (admitted to be so) throwing of money at aircrew is just that --- short-term. It will not solve the "I'm fed up with only seeing you for a few months every year and you're knackered when you are home" pressures which must go alongside the vast commitment levels of today.

CUT THE TASKS and accept that we are not still living in the Victorian era when we "ruled" most of the World and had enormous influence over the rest. I seem to remember saying this many times over the past couple of years.

BEagle
1st Feb 2002, 19:13
Hi Wholi'!

Apart from the fact that you must be getting ancient if you listen to the 'JY Prog' - your point about quality of life issues is very valid. Matching assets to aspirations, re-assessing staffing levels, etc are, we're told, part of the non-remunerative retention issues currently being staffed by working groups, steering committees, etc. Perhaps to increase the tempo of such meetings they might care to try 16 hour days at such meetings - and to hold them in the Islas Malvinas?

I watched a documentary about David Stirling recently; in it there was a clip from 1965 of Dennis 'Cutter' Healey (the man who murdered TSR2) justifying his swingeing defence cuts on the grounds that "I don't think that we can go on being a world policeman or getting involved in things outside Europe......" or words to that effect.

Perhaps someone should remind El Presidente (sickly smile, sweaty armpits) that the size of our Armed Forces is a direct result of previous Labour (err, not New Labour, of course. Worried frown, pointy finger) defence cuts.

If you want Comprehensive cover, you have to pay for more than for Third Party......

lightbob
1st Feb 2002, 19:29
The latest in this 'designer diplomacy' is the news that the UK contribution to ISFA will top 2000 and is likely to be remain in place for some time. Is it coincidental that this comes at the same time that the new, very anglicised, Afghan leader visits El Presidente in London? When will the givernment accept that we don't need to be seen to turn up at every party that the US organise.

covec
1st Feb 2002, 20:23
Was it Douglas Hurd who said that the UK Armed Forces are a good export - helping the UK to "punch above its weight?"

Perhaps it is time that the unthinkable was addressed: less spending on foreign power projection and more spending on the home front i.e. homeland defence, "some" NATO/Euro RRF - and savings therefore made for the NHS, Transport infrastructure, free care for OAPs etc.

I am only too well aware that such an initiative would lead to compulsary redundancies. I would be happy to take compulsary redundancy....

The Empire has gone. The Commonwealth, well...

The Dutch, Norwegians, Belgians etc all seem to have a voice without committing their forces here there and everywhere.

Of course, we do have to do our bit for the special relationship, that I know...

John Nichol
1st Feb 2002, 21:35
Thanks Wholi. Beags, I happen to think that the JY show is a brilliant piece of broadcasting - and I'm only 38!

Dimmer Switch
1st Feb 2002, 22:15
John, You only looked about 8 in the "Airshow" I watched the other night - just after you'd climbed out of the Hunter ! How long did it take to lose the big grin !

MarkD
1st Feb 2002, 22:53
Doubt if Bliar or Buff were listening to JY, not the right demographic for the spindoctors...

BEagle
1st Feb 2002, 22:59
It is indeed, John - I was only kidding!

"What's the recipe today, Jim?" - embarrased to say that I remember that! From the 1970s!!

BHP
2nd Feb 2002, 02:08
Some good points JN, a bit more homework though on your 32 or is 23 million budget figures - hope you got your Invoice numbers the right way round!!

TimC
2nd Feb 2002, 03:29
Bugg3r, missed that program. Will it be on again (sky maybe)?