PDA

View Full Version : best twin for training?

Ezz35
21st Oct 2009, 14:11
Morning ppl,

Firstly,as a newbie to this game reading these forums for a while now(almost a year) Iv had some great laughs and learnt a lot. This is just more of a general interest/training question.

Im about to start my training for my cpl and adding a MECIR onto it in one go, as to where Im doing this isnt important(seems to be a hot topic, and no...its not REX). But they do their training in a twin comanche.

My question is...what is the best small twin to have an endorsment on? From research Iv done Beech, Chieftian and the Comanche seem to be fairly well used, but which one do most operators use or favor? I know endorsments and a job on a twin is a bit off for a fresh CPL, but Id like to know if once I complete this endorsment, am I going to have to look at doing a rating for another type sooner rather than enjoying the rating I have already? How keen are operators to get you endorsed on their type if your not already rated? I mainly asume that time and $ are the key factors, but is it a big hassel or par for the course?

Cheers:ok:

eocvictim
21st Oct 2009, 15:00
If you can do it in a BE95 travelair I'd recommend it. It covers the Be55 endo and if you can get 55/58 time that will get you up to speed on 310s and Ac50's which are the types you're more than likely to fly in your first twin job. Consider a PA31 endo down the track, at over $600/hr dual (for a nav let alone a chief) you'd be mad to do your MECIR in one... Unless you're Rick Kelly.

The 95 is very forgiving but is a good intro into twins and the Baron. They're a lot cheaper than barons 310s or similar aircraft to hire but you end up with "3" endo's. The 95 is readily available in Melbourne and once you hold your MECIR you wont have any problems hiring a BE55, a 58 will need about 100ME CMD. Both the 95 and 55 are very capable aircraft, the 95 CAN carry 5pax at about 160KTAS but its a stretch the 55 does it easy and at about 175KTAS. These are reputable speeds for any GA piston machine and will teach you good engine management and approach planning. :ok:

Not sure if thats available to you but I hope that advice helps.

Good luck.

Lodown
21st Oct 2009, 19:16
Wow, I never had the money to consider anything above a crappy Seneca for a twin endo. (That and the fact that operators heard I was coming and hid their nice aircraft and only hired the aircraft to me that they wanted to collect insurance on.) There's a lot to be said for flying a piece of low performing junk in your training. It makes you keep an eye and ear on everything, you get to know what's under the floor through the holes in the carpet, you make doubly sure of the undercarriage linkages, it makes the move to a higher performing aircraft much more exhilarating and even Tour de France riders look at your legs with envy after a week of single engine work.

The Green Goblin
22nd Oct 2009, 00:04
The best is the cheapest serviceable twin you can get your hands on.

Stick to the singles mate and learnt to crawl before you can walk. A CPL is a licence to learn and once you operate a single commercially you will work out how much you don't know.

GG

maverick22
22nd Oct 2009, 00:57
Yeah, the MECIR can wait, you'll only need to keep it current which will set you back lots of $$$ as torque said. Cut your teeth on singles, get some experience and you'll find flying a twin no worries when the time comes.

When I did my CPL, instead of a night rating I did a SECIR. Was a good intro to IFR procedures and a lot cheaper to keep current. When the time came, instead of doing a renewal I did my initial twin endo and upgraded to a MECIR which was quite a simple process :ok:

Just something to think about anyway

Stationair8
22nd Oct 2009, 01:08
Best twin for the initial twin is a PA-30 Twin Comanche.

I did my initial twin/constant speed/retractable in the PA-30 with a total of 100 hours in my logbook, and then was offered a very good deal by the owner and finished up doing my CPL in the same aircraft.

John Lindsay from the CAA did my CPL flight test in the aircraft and after putting me through the hoops was happy to sign me out.

Just to prove that a lot of Pprune experts know sweet fa about aviation, my first cpl job was flying a Partenavia around for a small charter company.

snoop doggy dog
22nd Oct 2009, 01:22
Good move. Do you Instrument rating so you can start getting the renewals each year. A lot of companies have requirements for so many renewal to join. I got through GA and Regionals.

If you don't have a night rating, don't bother. Do your 5 hours solo in the circuit in a 152 and get on with it. You could do your 50 hrs X-country, night solo and get straight into your IR, knock off a few more hrs and do your CPL flight test. It saves you ca$h. It did for me 12 years ago. You would be more than up to speed for the CPL test.

The cheapest is the best and you can add on later if you wish. Duchess was the cheapest when I done mine and nice to fly. :ok:

Enjoy mate, you will learn a lot doing the Instrument Rating. :)

Peter Fanelli
22nd Oct 2009, 01:22
Aero 145

:E

frigatebird
22nd Oct 2009, 01:54
Where do you new guys get the money up-front from? Is it Daddy's, have you made a killing on the stock market trading futures before your 21st birthday, or have you convinced a bank to give it to you on the 'never never'? That's probably why we have the GFC.. (Its not MY debt).
Had done a year instructing on singles, and another 3 or 4 general charter (with a little time out doing something else) before the company allowed me to hire their Baron at a reduced rate for my first twin. Then it was another 3 years before the opportunity for a MECIR was available.. Know things change, and we all want to get ahead quickly, but really.. Hope you have been a quick learner and you have had some exposure to 'what can go wrong' before my relatives travel in an aircraft with you..

torsion
22nd Oct 2009, 02:12
Frigatebird, although I agree to some extent of what you say about newbies affording everything up front remember that not all start out their flying career as their first job these days. Many work very hard in another industry to get the funds together to be able to afford to pay for their own training, I know thats how I did it.

frigatebird
22nd Oct 2009, 02:22
Well done !!

And thats how I did it too.. Didn't get my Commercial til I was 23, and the Aero Club allowed me to put half the Instructor Rating on the a tab which was reduced as I did an hour instructing for them. Ways and means..

Was just asking the modern way..

john_tullamarine
22nd Oct 2009, 02:25
John Lindsay from the CAA did my CPL flight test in the aircraft

and a fine fellow, the angry ant ..... fond memories of several renewals with John.

Suggest considering the Partenavia for the initial foray ? Nice, stable, easy to operate I/F platform (fuel crossfeed idiosyncrasies aside) .. you can then worry about the other nastier animals later on.

Pinky the pilot
22nd Oct 2009, 02:30
Peter Fanelli, Did'nt you do your initial MECIR in the same smoke filled Seneca 1 that I did?:confused::hmm::eek::ugh:

'Those were the days!!':D

Peter Fanelli
22nd Oct 2009, 02:40
Yes I did Pinky, I think it should be law that initial twin endorsements and instrument ratings must all be done in smoke filled Senecas!

VH-XXX
22nd Oct 2009, 02:54
Had done a year instructing on singles, and another 3 or 4 general charter (with a little time out doing something else) before the company allowed me to hire their Baron at a reduced rate for my first twin. Then it was another 3 years before the opportunity for a MECIR was available..

Slow learner? :ugh:

frigatebird
22nd Oct 2009, 03:02
Yeah mate.. but thorough -- and a survivor --

mic310
22nd Oct 2009, 03:06
Wished someone had told me to leave the MECIR till later after finishing the CPL. As I found out, the first 2 or 3 years in GA it was as useless as tits on a bull!!:ugh::ugh::ugh:Then spending $$$$$ to keep it current???????

frigatebird
22nd Oct 2009, 03:21
So 3x from Melb, how fast did you do it, and whose money did you use..?

Lodown
22nd Oct 2009, 03:30
Who gives a rat's?

frigatebird
22nd Oct 2009, 03:45
Too embarassing to admit to, if its any of the three..
Some only slag, without offering benefit of experience.. sad really.
Right .. who gives a rats.. nuff said

VH-XXX
22nd Oct 2009, 04:12
So 3x from Melb, how fast did you do it, and whose money did you use..?

Light hearted humour, it's not about how smart you are, it's how much money you have and for most under 25's without a real job it's mostly mummy and daddie's money............

Ezz35
22nd Oct 2009, 04:16
Main reason im asking about it is that its offered in the package and the SECIR it dosnt seem to be widely offered as most places are doing it the MECIR way. Like I said, just curious if the endo on the type was a widely used one or will it just be something on a resume and costing me $. One thing is Ill still be able to fly under IFR in a single right?

Frigatebird, I guess with the GFC being my fault I should feel bad. Perhaps you didnt get enough pats on the back from your instructor while you did your licence.

I should of mentioned that Im 25 and didnt come down in the last shower when it comes to money and saving it etc. Maybe that would of saved all of us that little rant. But, if I choose to fund this by dealing coke I can, because its none of your business. Next time your upset because life isnt fair and someone else wants to have a go, walk into the kitchen and drink some window cleaner:ok:

frigatebird
22nd Oct 2009, 04:33
Hey Newby, thats a great attitude, possibly choosing to deal coke and advocating suicide..hope you go far in aviation with that....
Why do you fellas get all angry and agro when legit questions are asked? Thanks for the background, but hey, don't wish your fellows aviators dead. I gave you the benefit of my circumstance (albeit some time ago now) as a yardstick. You answered in your last post how you are doing it, fine, so why the vindictiveness. Everyone is an original, we all have our likes and dislikes, but we are a community, and sometimes communication is the hardest thing to get right. All the best for your future. :(

Amendment..

Actually I spelt it wrong.. should have been newy -- after your location -- and the fact it was your admitted first post - (third now according to the sidebar) - what the heck :uhoh:

Ezz35
22nd Oct 2009, 04:46
My friend, the vindictivness comes from your post insuating that I was some young pup who thought money came free from a hole in the wall and didnt know my head from my @ss. Calling me a newbie makes you also come across as someone with a very long nose to look down apon us all. You should know what you posted, and to expect someone to give you no attitude after it is just plain dumb. Or atleast someone who has a brain.
I read conistantly newbies getting flamed on here and then never return becuse they are afraid of replies like your inital one. I am not, and like I said, been reading this for quite some time now.

But, if you have something of use to say about my question, Im very happy to take your thoughts and opions on board, like I have with everyone else who replied. Which is why I posted it in the first place. I asked if the aircraft they use is widely used or am I going to have to shell out more of my money later on a totally new rating instead of keeping this one current.

So lets open the lines of communation:ok:

maverick22
22nd Oct 2009, 05:51
Ha... didn't take long for this thread to go pear shaped:rolleyes:

j3pipercub
22nd Oct 2009, 05:59
However, back to the topic:

Get in the cheapest, oldest most decrepit aircraft you can find with a fixed card ADF and no GPS...you will reap the benefits for years after.

j3

Orion Delta
22nd Oct 2009, 06:06
be 55 or 58

eocvictim
22nd Oct 2009, 07:59
No drama's in doing your MECIR upfront if you have a job lined up. I had a mate who did that and was using it within 9 months. I too would have been using mine within 9 months if I had of done it, instead I had to take time off work to knock it down. Lucky it was a wet winter and there wasn't much work.

Put simply its not always best to split them. I do not regret splitting mine, as everyone has said it gives you more time to consolidate your CPL before jumping in the deep end.

But that wasn't your question. Valuable aircraft to use for MECIR anything that is cheap that gives you other endo's that you can use in the real world.

Aerohooligan
22nd Oct 2009, 08:30
Complete your CPL get time on a single......

Get IREX out of the way.

Leave the MECIR until you absolutely need it.

Whilst I understand the logic in terms of saving money etc, I'm not sure if that would work so well in the current job environment. I did my instrument rating at the end of last year which helped boost my total time from about 195 to 230 or so. It doesn't seem like much but I'm unsure whether I would have landed my current job without that little bit extra. Then again I guess I'd be on the other side of the fence if I hadn't done it. I reckon it's easier to smash the MECIR after CPL when you're still in the study mood. It's been 10 months since I finished mine and now I'm trying to work and study ATPL at the same time but I just can't find the time or energy.

Of course, the other issue is if you don't do it before getting a job, you need an employer willing to give you your entire annual leave in one chunk to get it done. Big ask for any employer.

I personally think it's six of one, half a dozen of the other. Either way you've got pros and cons. Doing it at any point in your career, it will enhance your skills both in a stick and rudder and procedural sense, probably much more than you anticipate.

And my money's on the Duchess. Easy to fly, handles nicely (though def underpowered) and very common so easy to get at a reasonable price.

Sorry to encourage the thread drift. :}

Aerohooligan
22nd Oct 2009, 08:30
Complete your CPL get time on a single......

Get IREX out of the way.

Leave the MECIR until you absolutely need it.

Whilst I understand the logic in terms of saving money etc, I'm not sure if that would work so well in the current job environment. I did my instrument rating at the end of last year which helped boost my total time from about 195 to 230 or so. It doesn't seem like much but I'm unsure whether I would have landed my current job without that little bit extra. Then again I guess I'd be on the other side of the fence if I hadn't done it. I reckon it's easier to smash the MECIR after CPL when you're still in the study mood. It's been 10 months since I finished mine and now I'm trying to work and study ATPL at the same time but I just can't find the time or energy.

Of course, the other issue is if you don't do it before getting a job, you need an employer willing to give you your entire annual leave in one chunk to get it done. Big ask for any employer.

I personally think it's six of one, half a dozen of the other. Either way you've got pros and cons. Doing it at any point in your career, it will enhance your skills both in a stick and rudder and procedural sense, probably much more than you anticipate.

And my money's on the Duchess. Easy to fly, handles nicely (though def underpowered) and very common so easy to get at a reasonable price.

Sorry to encourage the thread drift. :}

j3pipercub
22nd Oct 2009, 09:01
we heard you the first time...:}

Pilotette
22nd Oct 2009, 09:06
Aerohooligan...twice for reiteration? :ok:

Ezz...Aerohooligan has put forward a couple of good points about it raising your total time and also the fact that it may be difficult to get the time off down the track to get it done. However, sure if you want to do it at a lower price, the Duchess is fine, but since your initial question was about which endorsement you will most likely find of benefit in the real world, I would probably recommend doing it on a Baron. The main reason for this recommendation being that if you do some research on the GA operators around, you will see a Baron in many of their fleets. Who knows though, you may find your first multi gig is on something completely different and for this reason it also may add to the cost effectiveness of waiting until you actually need it and can then get the required endorsement. Just my 2 cents :ok:

maverick22
22nd Oct 2009, 09:11
I guess it depends which road you decide to go down with regard your career at the end of the day as well. I went instructing for a couple of years... hence there was no need for an instrument rating straight up. However, I always had my SECIR which I kept current and it then made the transition to MECIR a piece of p%ss.

Doesn't really matter what you do it in... a basic twin of some description (you don't want to make life too hard for yourself). If you're looking for something that will cover you once you get a job, as others have suggested a baron/travelair, C310 or partenavia might be the go.

Aerohooligan
22nd Oct 2009, 09:18
Pilotette...twice because my internet hates me and wants me to look like a spaz on pprune... :ok:

j3pipercub
22nd Oct 2009, 09:59
look like a spaz on pprune

you need pprune to do that? I just need two beers, one and a half if they're heavies

j3

Ezz35
22nd Oct 2009, 11:08
The main reason I am considering this is its offered in a way that is cost and time effective for me. Being 25 I dont want to fall too far behind and yes the extra hours do appeal to me. A very good point also about having to take a years worth of hols to do the rating, so that does make sense. Employers wont be too keen to give you time off to do it if they dont have a multi!

A more specific question would have been if the Cheiftan was a widely used type, but yes I noticed the Baron does pop up a lot. I also want to make myself as employable as possible with qualifactions that are usable in the real world, not just to fly a plane down at the local flight school. I know that a first job will not be on a twin (altho Im sure its happened somewhere, unfortunately my parents do not own a charter company) or flying alot of IFR, but all things considered, it just seems to make the most sense to me.

Cheers for all the input:ok:
Now, wheres those beers.......

The Green Goblin
22nd Oct 2009, 12:07
I'm all for a MECIR after a CPL before you head north, or at least an initial mulit, I'm just against it for the CPL itself.

The CPL should be flown in a single, VFR nav perfected and you should display your PFLs at a high standard, there i every chance you may need them one day.

If you do the CPL in a twin, you will be required to do assy circuits etc. There is time to learn all that in your MECIR. As I said, crawl before you can walk.

I had 1000 hours before I touched a multi engine aircraft. The guys before me had over 3000 hours in many cases. (and 1000 of those doing bungles)

Save the coin for your years in poverty up north :{

Ezz35
22nd Oct 2009, 12:30
GG, I understand what your saying and your concerns. In this case, from what the instructors and CFI have told me, the MECIR is started after the CPL syllabus is completed, not conducted in a multi. Im not trying to make this sound perfect or the best way, just trying to get all the facts out and make the most informed decision I can.
Admittedly, I wont have 1000 hours before I do it or perfect flying skills, but I will have completed the CPL and want to make myself the most employable package I can.

*EDIT* Im already practicing the poverty aspect funding this! lol

the air up there
22nd Oct 2009, 13:43
I know I'm going to get howled downfor this one, but don't bother with the partenavia or twin commanche endo's. Having spent a couple of years flying around up north I havent seen any operating, not commercially anyway. In fact, the only Partenavia I've seen is the busted out one sitting on the grass at Darwins GA. Although I do believe there are a few being operated in other areas, but not nearly as many as barons/310's. Might depend on where you think you'll go to find that first job to.

So I would go for the baron/travelair endo or a 310. Don't worry about the cheiftain, the chances of you landing a gig in 1 as your first twin gig is low.

Thats my thoughts.

torsion
22nd Oct 2009, 22:33
The air up there, just to clarify your earlier comment about no Partenavias operating commercially up north, Alligator in Kunnunurra operate one and this is a fairly popular first job spot (you even said you knew this was coming). As for the original question I honestly wouldn't worry to much about what you did the MECIR or Initiall twin endorsement in when your time comes to jump in the twins most employers will pay for your endorsement if they are any sort of operator, sure if you could do it in a commonly used twin great but don't get to hung up on the idea. Of all the endorsements I have the only one I paid for was the Seminole I did my initiall twin and Mecir in, and yes never used it since so I guess you could say it was a waste but it did the job.

Ezz35
23rd Oct 2009, 00:59
Torque, there has been a lot very good insight into this, to which I am very appreciative. Perhaps I hadnt looked into this as much as I thought, but I was under the impression you would need an IR on either a single or twin to get an Instructor rating? I was looking at doing that also as I would make finding employment easier near a major center, which is something I have to consider with my partner finishing a Law degree before I finish this.

I have noticed that some schools around state that you can get your CPL GST free if you do the basic syllabus, but didnt mention that it was the same if you did something more advanced (CIR-FIR). I didnt realise you could write off the further training afterwards, I guess under further educatoin expenses (or what ever its called). Has anyone done this recently and could share how much tax they saved on the MECIR? Using Johnston Aviations $14,000 as a guide. Maybe I should join a Tax forum to get these answers......

But, as a scenario, wouldnt a operator with singles and twins be more likely to hire someone, (even with low hours) if they had the MECIR over a guy with the same hours without it? Ofcourse, but there are just to many maybes and what ifs out there. Just getting my head around a new way of thinking after makeing what I thought was an informed decision.:bored:

Thanks everyone for your input, goes to prove there is a wealth of knowledge on here!!!

maverick22
23rd Oct 2009, 02:04
Ezz,

If you sign up for an approved 150hr integrated CPL course, you don't pay GST. Not sure about the tax ramafications beyond CPL, torque seems to be on to it though.

You do not need an instrument rating to get an instructor rating, the prerequisite is CPL + NVFR as a minimum. I chose to do an instrument rating over NVFR as this allows you to exercise the priveliges of a NVFR as long as the rating is current.

You really just need to decide which path you want to go down though - charter or instructing. If you decide to go down the instructor route though, make sure it is something you actually want to do and not something you are forcing yourself to do. Nothing worse than an instructor who doesn't give a damn

Ezz35
23rd Oct 2009, 02:34
Mav, totally agree regarding instructors giving a dam! Teaching/instructing is something I enjoy and have been doing in my last profession since I was 19. I can imagine there is a lot of guys out there just for the time building and couldnt careless, which hurts the more people than they may think. I do get great enjoyment watching someone use or suceed with something I have had a part in teaching them how to do, which is why I considered it.

How often do you have to have a check ride to keep the IR current? From memory I think its 3 months? Is it just a matter of paying for rental cost or is there a check fee involved as well?

frigatebird
23rd Oct 2009, 06:24
On.. and .. On.. and .. On.. :ugh:

You don't fly aircraft only by committee decision,, someone has to be a captain and make a final decision. Can you do that?

If you intend to be an instructor, or instrument rated, read the regulations and requirements yourself.. You haven't got time to text someone, or phone a friend, when you get to the DA on a marginal approach, or the student is flaring and holding off too high and doing nothing about it.. 3 month renewals? are you talking about airline proficiency sim checks, or what?

Oh .., I've hurt your precious feelings again..

Just as you insulted mine with your proposal, if required, to sell coke..
I have kids thanks very much.. they don't fly yet.. I'll show them and encourage them when they decide they are ready, one did a degree in Policing and Enforcement..but they display more brains, and can work things out better for themselves, than you appear able to..

F...wit :yuk:

The Gods spare us all

Aerohooligan
23rd Oct 2009, 08:21
J3...mate, I get legless often enough to know what you mean there...the internet makes my spaztasticness more available and accessible to the world at large! :ok:

Ezz35
23rd Oct 2009, 12:20
Frigatebird,

Thank you again for your constructive contribution to what I thought was a reasonable discussion. I came on this forum to talk to people who could help me gain direction and insight, and instead, even from my first post, you've chosen to be sarcastic and unhelpful. I ask about a rating and you accused me of taking mummy and daddy's money and contributing to a global financial crisis. And even now, you offer no useful comment about the content of this thread - instead, you dwell literally on things that were never and most obviously not intended to be taken that way. I am not a coke dealer and will never be. I was making the point that it was not your business or place to criticise how I would get into a flight school. I am glad to hear that your kids have achieved so much, but please do not make the arrogant assumption that my mental capacities are deplorable. Asking questions is not a crime, I hope should your kids have a few of their own you respond in a much better way. I don't know everything mate, but I was also raised never to despise meager beginnings. If all you want to do is come on here and put me down, save us both the time and don't. You haven't hurt my feelings.

frigatebird
23rd Oct 2009, 12:34
Good.

I never accused you of anything, you just took it that way. All I did was ask a question myself. And I gave you information like the others.

But I did get sick of you just going on and on, and wanting to be spoon fed information that you will have to learn up on from the regulations if you want to be a working pilot. Frankly I'm going to bed, I'm tired of people like yourself..

the air up there
25th Oct 2009, 03:25
Just before anyones decides to correct me on my previous post, I saw a Partenavia in Darwin yesterday on my way through . Looked like it was parked out the front of CSG. Maybe they are starting to creep into the top end as well.

Sorry for the thread drift. Still reckon a baron is the best bet for the MECIR if you want an endo that is useful for work though.

the air up there
25th Oct 2009, 03:32
Torsion, I was unaware if the one at Alligator in Kunna's. I've only been there on a handful of occasions so it may have been out flying.

I was talking about 1 or 2 being used for scenic flights around the rock.

manymak
25th Oct 2009, 04:08
Just before anyones decides to correct me on my previous post, I saw a Partenavia in Darwin yesterday on my way through . Looked like it was parked out the front of CSG. Maybe they are starting to creep into the top end as well.

Spot on.. I also did see the very new looking vulcanair outside the CSG hanger at Darwin. VH-VMV i'm pretty sure it was.

wearenotondunlop
2nd Nov 2009, 05:56
EZZ35

If your eventual aim is to fly for a major airline, then staying in a major centre probably won’t get you very far. As others have suggested, make a clear decision of what your eventual aim will be, because if its the majors you’re after, going “bush” for an extended period of your life is just about essential. Our capital cities are full of CPL holders who were going to be airline pilots. And I take my hat off to those who choose to be a career instructor; its an honourable vocation and we need more of them in Australia for the benefit of our future industry. The instructors who get into airlines have to leave the centres and go into charter eventually if they want to change their direction, and getting into charter is a faster way than instructing.

I would agree with those who say put off the twin for a more appropriate time, as the heady days of quick progression seem to be well over, and aviation seems to have settled back to a more normal pace. Return of the 90’s , a situation where you need quite a bit of single charter aeroplane experience (700 – 1000 hrs) and a good employment record before anyone will chance you with their charter twin, especially in IFR conditions even if you’ve got the rating. Remember it means cash flow for them and costs money to insure and fix if something happens. Any downtime costs the company losts charters and lots of money. To get the first single charter job you need to spend some months getting known and breaking the ice with an employer (while you’re living there). The only fast track out of it is possibly a cadetship such as Qantaslink, Rex or similar.

A twin Comanche would be rarely if ever used in charter, Dubbo’s Airlink was the only operator I’d ever heard of, and flying school time in a twin would not really count for much, plus you would have to wait your turn in the single engine queue anyway before your twin spot comes up.

Barons and Cessna 310 were usually the first charter twin job, which would then lead onto Navajos / chieftains /Cessna 402 / 404 when you had proved you could handle the former pair, but that is probably some years off for you. Unless you’re born with the luck of the Irish, a chance to go straight onto a twin without doing a couple of years of paid employment flying a “high powered” charter single will never come.

My suggestion would be that if you have the funds, get a Cessna 210 endorsement and finish off your CPL on that if you can arrange it, with an Airvan being the next best thing, and perhaps a single engine instrument rating to give you an “out” if you get trapped by weather while you’re doing your “single engine VFR apprenticeship”. That way you’ve got some appropriate entry level experience that you have a chance to market to an employer. Though, if things are still tight in GA, it may be that cattle station mustering work and parachute dropping are the first steps on the rung, in which case a Cessna 182 endorsement is good to have in your kit. Then you can head North for some years, and begin working your way up the mountain until such time as an opportunity might allow you to return home within aviation.

When you know what twins your company operates, you’ll know what twin endorsement to get on your first or second stint of annual leave back in your home town, so you’re ready to go. That’s the time when you can also consider upgrading your single IFR rating to a twin for the time when its eventually needed.

In my opinion, some time on the “C-210 workhorse” with a 182 endorsement alongside it, is probably the best way to go to increase your employment prospects in the real world, if GA is back to the way it was when I scored my first job. But probably also important to realise is that your personality, perceived company "fit" and persistence will play an equal role in any employer's mind.

Hope the above is useful. Good Luck. :ok:

The Green Goblin
2nd Nov 2009, 08:28
Can someone give me a C210 endorsement?

I must have been flying them illegally :}

CharlieLimaX-Ray
2nd Nov 2009, 08:39
Many year's ago you did have to get a C210 endorsement before they bought in the group endorsement's.
A CP that I worked for showed me his licence with all the single engine endorsements and ranged from C150, C170, C175, C172, C182, C205, C206, C207, C210, Victa, PA-18, PA-28/140, PA-24, Auster, Chipmunk and Tiger Moth.
Don't mention it to loudly otherwise CASA will reintroduce as a stealth way to raise revenue!!!!

Horatio Leafblower
2nd Nov 2009, 08:45
*door slams*

allo allo allo... wot 'ave we 'ere then? Detective Senior Sergeant Bargearse from the spelling police... we ave 'ad report of Inappropriate of apostrophes in this vicinity. :ugh: :suspect: :ooh:

PLURALS DO NOT NEED BLOODY APOSTROPHES!

YOU DO NOT NEED TO PUT A F$%^ING APOSTROPHE IN FRONT OF EVERY F$%^ING 'S'.

FFS :{

j3pipercub
2nd Nov 2009, 11:34
Can someone give me a C210 endorsement?

I would but I ain't never flown one aye.

XX-ANY
2nd Nov 2009, 13:39
Why flying the 210 I might fork out the $$ and get 182 endorsement as well...:ok:

Tempo
2nd Nov 2009, 19:03
Ezz,

If you get your MECIR, keeping it 'current' is worthless and expensive. All you are doing is paying for twin hours. Realistically, do your renewal every year (mine used to cost 1 hour of aircraft and 1 one hour of Sim + ATO fee) and wait for that twin job. The operator will no doubt do some sort of ICUS (remember you need 10hours on type to operate IFR CHTR) so all of your currency will be fixed up then.

As far as which aircraft to do your MECIR on...I asked the same question 13 years ago. I chose the C310 because I was convinced that the C310 was the endorsement of choice. Result....never flew one again. First twin job was on a Baron.

As to whether you should get it now or later my opinion is this. If you are aiming for a career as a professional pilot and have aspirations for bigger and better things than a 210/206, get EVERYTHING done ASAP (ATPLs, MECIR etc). You never know what opportunity is around the corner. I have seen many guys over the years miss the opportunity to take a twin job offered to them because they didnt have their MECIR. Likewise, many have missed the boat with airlines (from regionals to majors) and turbine operators because the ATPLs were not done. My point is, whether you have 500 hours or 5000 hrs, you never know what opportunity is around the corner.

And finally, having the MECIR gave me a little extra flying in a higher performance aircraft which boosted the confidence and made the transition from the mighty PA28R to the C210 a piece of p*ss.

lk978
2nd Nov 2009, 21:16
besides the C310 and the B55/58 I would recommend the seminole. I really enjoyed the Piper Semiole seems to be nicer to fly then the duchess and twin comanchee especially the 2000 model. Just a personal preference.

Horatio Leafblower
2nd Nov 2009, 22:47
Twin Catastrophe is a good aircraft for training on - cheap to buy, easy on the gas - but it is of limited use in the Charter world. That said, I know of at least one multi-millionaire who charters Basair/HVA's TinCans on a weekly basis.

...the other drawback with their Twin Commanches is the fact they need two pilots for IFR CHTR (no autopilot)... so not much useful load left, especially now that Edward is putting on the Kgs... :}:ok:

HTFU
3rd Nov 2009, 08:10
cri-cri cheap on fuel and aerobatic capable