PDA

View Full Version : IFR & semi-glass panels

Biggles_in_Oz
21st Oct 2009, 11:09
Am considering replacing my vacuum-driven AHI & DG with a certified TSO digital unit.
For SE, non-charter, private IFR, can I just have the digital unit or do I still need an alternate AHI ?, (ie. keep but relocate the existing AHI).

I don't often do hard-IFR, and am uncertain of what CASA legally requires for IFR flights and will welcome pointers to where the good info resides.

Ta.

drogue chute
21st Oct 2009, 11:29
Dunno what the rules are in your part of the world, but having had screens go blank on me on 2 seperate occasions, theres no way I'd go IFR without a stby!
My 2 cents worth. :)

Chimbu chuckles
21st Oct 2009, 11:29
Unfortunately if the aircraft is certified (Car 3/Part 23) then the instruments it was certified with must remain on board and be serviceable.

You can put, for instance, a Aspen EFD1000 Pro in, but the steam driven A/H & turn/bank must stay and within certified distance from straight ahead - you cant move them to the co pilots side.

Biggles_in_Oz
21st Oct 2009, 19:59
Thanks Chimbu C and anroaustralia
That's exactly the info I was after. :ok:

Yar.., I'm looking at the Aspen PFD and I was looking forward to getting rid of the vacuum-pump and plumbing.

drogue chute I too have concerns about darkness, but for my infrequent real-IFR ops, it's a risk I'd take.

Brian Abraham
22nd Oct 2009, 01:32
Our glass cockpits had a iron gyro (internal battery powered if you lost ship electrics) as back up and while not up on the regulatory requirement, would strongly recommend same. The glass was known to do some strange things at times, albeit very infrequently.