PDA

View Full Version : New web site

TopGrob
14th Jul 2001, 01:35
I know this isn't the 'thing' to do, but there is a new site currently under construction. There is a forum which is available for aircadets and VGS staff, or anyone else that is interested. We would welcome any comments or suggestions.
WWW.615vgs.com (http://WWW.615vgs.com)

Pls remember it is still under construction, but is is well on its way....have fun!!!

Flying Bloke
14th Jul 2001, 12:22
Ah yes, good old 615 VGS. Unfortunately I dont have too many found memories of that place. The rumour also was that many were leaving to go to Odiham (could you verify?) - cant say I blame them though!!!

TopGrob
15th Jul 2001, 00:24
Who are you?

15/15 flex
15th Jul 2001, 02:09
Had a mate on BFTS whose Dad did a spell on loan service with the SOAF. Had some cracking home movies of this sort of thing. Apparently it was at top Sunday lunchtime pastime.

Thoroughly irresponsible, if we ever catch the bugger etc, etc...... :D

B*llock$ - wrong thread!!

[ 15 July 2001: Message edited by: 15/15 flex ]

Flying Bloke
16th Jul 2001, 02:30
It matters little as to who I am, but many have been introduced to gliding by this establishment choosing that gliding is not for them due to the treatment they receive from certain staff. I know a few staff there who seem to be pi$$ed off with the place, however I do realise that some of the staff there are actually there for the cadets, rather than being part of a free gliding club for their own personal and selfish intentions.

I personally did a GS there over a year ago and enjoyed the most that I could of it despite some ****ty treatment that occured

TopGrob
19th Jul 2001, 04:15
I can assure you that I am one of those who are there purely for the cadets.

Who knows...maybe I taught you to fly.

But by the sounds of it you got the short straw and flew with an 'a hole'....for which I do appologise.

On a good note, we do seem to have got rid of the 'dead wood' and things are going extremely well.

Hope you're still in the aircadets and enjoying it...and we didn't put you off too much!

TopGrob Mk.2
19th Jul 2001, 04:58
In any organisation, as indeed in life, you are going to get some to$$ers. This is inescapable.

However, most staff members, particularly on a Viking School work their ar$es off. Of course it's fair to say that the reward for this work is very high. I don't believe anyone can disagree with that.

However, it does slightly peeve me when people claim that only 'some' of the staff are there for the cadets. Every member of staff on the school has been a cadet or involved with the organisation on some level other than the gliding school, and the few aforementioned to$$ers are certainly going to be in the very small minority.

I'm sure that you feel that you got the rough end of the deal when you visited 615. The reasons for this I am not sure of. However you do refer to treatment from certain staff. To draw a conclusion about the whole school from bad experiences from just a few staff members is perhaps a little unfair on the majority of staff.

I believe the majority of staff are motivated in the main by the desire to teach cadets about gliding, from the GIC cadets who are experiencing it for the first time to the GS student who is about to take-off on their first solo. The satisfaction derived from seeing a first solo, even for those who have played no part in the flying instruction is huge.

I am glad that you enjoyed your GS for the most part. As TopGrob said the school has changed somewhat since this time last year with certain members of staff having left. I personally hope to be with 615 for many years to come, and continue to help air cadets experience the joy of gliding.

Good luck for the future.

Nick Mahon
20th Jul 2001, 04:45
Fair point made about branding the entire school with a bad name, therefore I apologise.

You are correct though with there being only a small minority of people who are there for their own intentions - unfortunately for me our paths crossed.

It was a shame after all. I had been selected to become a staff cadet due to my actions at the school. Oh well..tut! tut!

TopGrob
21st Jul 2001, 23:32
Oh really.....I dont remember selecting you as staff!!!

Flypro
22nd Jul 2001, 00:02
TG

Surely,'To Glide is a one way ticket...DOWN!'
:(

Nick Mahon
22nd Jul 2001, 01:50
Well it didn't happen in the end for various reasons though I can assure you that my claims are not false!!!

Intel
22nd Jul 2001, 14:02
Did a BGT in Aug 1995 at Kenley, enjoyed it very much.

How are things going there these days?

TopGrob
22nd Jul 2001, 19:21
I did my BGT in '95 and I'm still there. Which course were you on?

We're still doing fine, thank you very much for asking. :p

TopGrob
22nd Jul 2001, 19:27
FlyPro......a one way ticket down.....depends on who's flying it ;)
7 hours without an engine cant be bad!!!

The Gorilla
22nd Jul 2001, 22:44
Its the same in RAF flight training, To**ers every where, and just when you think you are never going to see them again.. Bang right back at square one...

Intel
23rd Jul 2001, 00:37
Top Grob

It was an CCF course run in the August. They let a couple of poor ATC cadets come along as well. It was the last thing I did before leaving the Corps. Have since become a Reserve Rock Ape (Some may say this is a step down) and an Air Traffic Controller (this may also be seen as a step down!)

Are the usual bunch of reprobates still there?

Intel

Edit : I was one of those poor ATC cadets! :D

[ 22 July 2001: Message edited by: Intel ]

TopGrob
23rd Jul 2001, 01:11
Been a few changes since then. Since Manston closed we got a few new guys...including a new CO!

Whats your name?

TopGrob Mk.2
24th Jul 2001, 01:00
Reprobates? That's a bit rude about Ted after all he did for the school.....

TopGrob Mk.2
24th Jul 2001, 01:06
And another thing..

To quote a previous post....

>TG
>Surely,'To Glide is a one way ticket...DOWN!'

I didn't realise that slating gliding itself was within the subject of this thread.

Glider pilots stay up longer.

[ 23 July 2001: Message edited by: TopGrob Mk.2 ]

Intel
24th Jul 2001, 21:36
TG Mk2

Glider pilots may stay up longer but they are, as sure as eggs are eggs, going to come down!!

Intel :D

TopGrob
24th Jul 2001, 22:02
Young Jedi, remember, No fuel, No fire!!!

;) be mindfull.....

TopGrob Mk.2
25th Jul 2001, 03:33
So what does a spam can do when it runs out of fuel then?

Oh yes, I remember now, it comes down - like a bloody brick.