PDA

View Full Version : About the Class II medical...

Tim Shannon
19th Oct 2009, 14:31
I'm looking to start for my PPL soon... but was thinking about the medical you need to fly solo.

I'm a "bit" over weight (current 15st 8lb), 21 and 6ft tall. Do they asses you by looking at things like BMI etc? I'm not all that fit, can run 1.5miles at most at present (but working on it!). I'm a sucker for the bad things like chocolate, chips etc etc so my cholesterol is probably through the roof too.

Just a tad worried that I might get to 20 hours and think "woohooo solo time!" for the doc to say no.

JJRMAD
19th Oct 2009, 16:05
For Class 2 (PPL)

Don't worry about your weight, your body mass index (BMI) = 29.56, you don't suffer form extreme obesity, BMI=35, you're within limits. Your cholesterol is a risk factor so they may require cardiovascular assesment, but you don't have to worry if you don't have any other risk such as smoking, diabetes, hypertension...

I think you may be issued with a class 2 certificate. But let me give you a piece of advice: start to lead a healthy life, with a healthy diet and doing some sport, not only to be within limits when you make an appointment with the aviation doctors, also because you'll feel much better for your lifestyle :ok:

I hope see you flying soon and be tuned in the same frecuency.

Regards,

Tim Shannon
19th Oct 2009, 16:19
Yeah, I'm planning on joining the RAF... so I'm already working on my fitness hence why I started running. My PPL will just be something to allow me to fly for a hobby (or as a career if/when I leave the RAF).

Its just learning to not eat things like chocolate/cakes/biscuits, I have a very sweet tooth so its not easy lol :sad:.

gingernut
21st Oct 2009, 18:38
If you can walk in the consulting room, then there's a good chance you'll pass the classII medical. Looking fitter than the AME is also a good indicator. (It's not hard.)

Never heard of anyone failing on weight (you may get a raised eybrow),and don't think they test for cholesterol.

RAF may be a different kettle of fish.:)

penguin-uk
30th Oct 2009, 20:16
I had a cholesterol test, in fact the AME I used wanted me to see my GP and get a full blood count done before issuing my Class II. I've no history of any medical issues, but the AME said that the CAA like this information now. Anyone else had to have that done too? I was a bit puzzled at the time as blood tests didn't seem to be done for other people I've spoken to around the same time so was wondering is this is just something that some prefer to do?

hazholmes
30th Oct 2009, 22:11
I'd be more worried about the RAF medical than the Class II. Having passed a Class I & a RoyalNavy medical, I can assure you I struggled far more with the latter.