PDA

View Full Version : Flying Sable Out Of Zambia

Flying Muse
19th Oct 2009, 08:27
Hello everyone. Please have a read and let me know if you have any information. Someone has been flying Sable Antelope out of Zambia to South Africa. This is completely illegal. If anyone knows who is doing this or has heard of it happening please comment or PM me. No one likes to be a snitch but the truth is that this is a tragedy for wildlife in Zambia and a sadness that fellow pilots are involved.

rudder hard over
19th Oct 2009, 09:02
Havn't seen Sable but I have seen a baboon called Robert being flown out of Zim every now and then

VarigMD11
19th Oct 2009, 12:09
And why is this illegal? Maybe they are stocking other parks in the region?

Flying Muse
19th Oct 2009, 13:11
Its illegal because the Zambian Government and the South African Government have never issued permits allowing the movement of these animals. This is due to a number of reasons but most importantly:

Genetics - Zambian sable are very different to South African sable in size and colour. Moving these animals deprives Zambia of its genetics and dilutes them through the region.

Disease - There are numerous diseases carried by these animals which South Africa do not want to allow accross their borders. For this reason the vet department in south africa has never issued permits allowing their moment!

Customs,etc - These animals are being loaded onto aircraft in wildlife areas and being flown out of Zambia without completing any formalities!!

Basically its genetic theft from a poor country and reckless disregard for the safety of South Africas livestock.

19th Oct 2009, 14:15
It should be easy enough to figure out which aircraft are doing these flights. Firstly, the Zambian Airforce and the CAA have a list of all the flights that arrive and depart Zambia. Secondly, the aircraft used should be large enough to carry a few of these antelope, unless they fly them out one by one.....
And if they depart some private strip, not telling anybody that they were there, flying through Zambia, parts of Zimbabwe and Botswana and arrive in SA without anybody noticing, then nothing has changed in Africa.

Flying Muse
19th Oct 2009, 14:48
It should be easy to work out who is doing this but they are doing as you suggested. Taking off from a private strip and heading straight to South Africa.

The thing is we know its definately happening because a Zambian male sable with a slightly chipped horn has just gone on the market in SA with the anonymous seller saying its recently arrived in country!!

Rumor is that the aircraft being used is a PAC or a C208.

Keep an eye out as this thing is about to hit the media and I really don't envy the guys involved!

But knowing that its happening makes my blood boil. Its very sad.

beckers
20th Oct 2009, 05:22
AvCom • View topic - Giant Sable in Angola (http://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53037)

Cave Troll
20th Oct 2009, 07:29
Only one question remains............

............Is the average Webber Braai big enough for the steaks from the Zambian Sable Antelope?

ct

20th Oct 2009, 20:00
This one should do the trick nicely :ok:

http://www.birstall.co.uk/prodimages/large/weber_genesis_s310_stainless_steel_gas_bbq_l.jpg

Cave Troll
21st Oct 2009, 09:19
126.7 I like the way you think!

Carrier
21st Oct 2009, 19:49
If this story is true then it indicates that both South Africa and Zambia, and one or both of the countries in between, have lost all control of their borders and of overflying traffic!

JTrain
22nd Oct 2009, 00:59
Not to mention Zimbabwe, which lies in between them. Last time I flew from DRC to Jo'burg, I didn't speak to anybody from when I crossed the Zambezi until Bulawayo, and even that was weak. Wouldn't have had to talk to him if I didn't want to. He was the only one I could reach while in Zim airspace, despite multiple attempts to reach Harare on several frequencies. Wasn't until I crossed the lowvfeld that I was speaking to ATC again. I could've cut across all of Western Zim and Uncle Bob would've had no idea.

JT

Flying Muse
23rd Oct 2009, 18:08
Well its true and its definately happening. Heard via the grape vine that the man doing it was boasting how he had built a runway in the Kafue National Park that no one knows about and has been flying the animals directly out from there. Seems that they are using either a PAC or a Caravan..

Carrier
23rd Oct 2009, 20:34
Another issue is the danger to other air traffic posed by these clandestine flights. Zambia apparently does not have any operating radar. ATC, even for flights into and out of Lusaka International, relies on the honesty of pilots and their correct reporting of position and intentions to provide separation.
Unauthorised flights do occur in Zambia, where aircraft will do a trip without filing a flight plan (also without ZAF approval) and without making any radio calls. Other times they make a legitimate trip but include an unannounced stop at a small strip. Apparently they are forced to resort to this because of the known delays in obtaining ZAF approval, something which is required for all flights. Some of the fly-in lodge aircraft have done this, although there are probably flights by some murkier operators.
Incorrectly reporting flights also occur. Here the aircraft does file a flight plan(s) and has ZAF approval but it then goes to a different destination from the filed one while making false radio calls that infer that it is complying with the filed flight plan(s). An aircraft belonging to a shady operator based at Lusaka International is known to have done this.
These flights all pose a midair crash hazard to legitimate traffic, particularly if they do this in IMC.

Topper Dee
26th Oct 2009, 13:24
"An aircraft belonging to a shady operator based at Lusaka International is known to have done this."Would that be the shady operator just grounded by ZAF?Very interesting...

Carrier
4th Nov 2009, 22:17
Has Proflight been grounded? While on the topic of Proflight what was the outcome of this arrest and court case?

http://www.pprune.org/african-aviation/203575-proflight-chief-executive-arrested.html

Topper Dee
5th Nov 2009, 05:07
Proflight are NOT a shady operator. They do a great job in running the country's only succesful domestic schedule.

I was refering to Zamfari. the biggest sham operator the country has ever seen. They have now closed shop (thank god) and now the lives of tourists here a a little safer.

gerpols
5th Nov 2009, 09:54
He guys,

Can anyone confirm that Zamfari has closed its doors ?

Have a good day !

Pandabear
6th Nov 2009, 08:20
Yip, closed up and hit the road..........or is that air......?

Topper Dee
7th Nov 2009, 07:13
hit the air... and not a moment too soon. I heard so many bad things about them. Really disturbing stuff.
Good riddance.

Journey Man
16th Nov 2009, 12:55
Anyone able to post up the letter? Not yet seen it, only heard about it. Sounds like a hilarious parting shot and a good insight into the Zamfari shambles... From what I hear they thought of themselves as the unfairly wronged. I'm sure all those chasing their money paid upfront for training and charters that never materialised will no doubt contest that...! :=

The Wraith
16th Nov 2009, 16:00
It never ceases to amaze me that people in Zambia STILL fall for the likes of Zamfari etc.
As far as charter/scheduled companies go there are basically three who have gone the distance, suffered incredible difficulties and hardships and have pulled through regardless. They are PROFLIGHT, STARAVIA and AVOCET. Remember those names and use them when you wish to fly in Zambia. At the moment there is also Zambezi for regional flights.
Stick with those companies for your needs and you will be ok.
People like Zamfari have come and gone. It's always better when they're gone.:ok:

rudder hard over
17th Nov 2009, 14:59
Just as a matter of interest, is Airwaves Airlink still operating in Zambia?

Carrier
17th Nov 2009, 15:53
After two fatal crashes in 2003 and 2004 Airwaves quit. Apparently the employees were dismissed and some or all of the aircraft that Airwaves owned were taken over by Zambian Airways, which itself became defunct early this year.

http://www.pprune.org/african-aviation/87251-c206-down-zambia.html

http://www.pprune.org/african-aviation/314016-prang-livingstone-c210-september-2004-a.html