PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair - 7

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

Skipness One Echo
26th Dec 2009, 18:15
Tell me what the connection is Daz? Are BA risking my life in not asking for a passport for my domestic legs? Utter alarmist claptrap. This is pure revenue protection.

daz211
26th Dec 2009, 18:28
I dont care what you call it, I would feel safer knowing everyone on my flight had a passport that has been checked rather than a blockbuster card or a fishing permit.

Herc708
26th Dec 2009, 19:09
The problem with RYR is that they are always asking for shortcuts and this is blocking up the radio frequencies unneccessarily and also distracting for the ATCO's associated because it does nothing to enhance safety and introduces an associated risk as people depart form normal tracks

As an example, if 13 is in use, anyone on Scottish will regularly hear 'can I have 31' if they are coming from the South regardless !

There was a case recently on Scottish where two RYR's were approaching PIK I believe from the NE. One was slightly ahead of the other, the first made the obligatory 'can I have the R/W that is NOT use', the second then quickly got his oar in with the same request. The ATCO then got busy sorting it out, instructed the first RYR to go to PIK App, but the second RYR took the call as well and both went on to PIK App. This left the original ATCO trying to call the second RYR - totally fruitless effort, blocked the frquency unneccessarily and was a particular hazard for the second RYR not to mention the rest of us whizzing about in the Scottish sector

Hollymead
26th Dec 2009, 20:22
3rd time lucky ?

Aer Lingus braced for Ryanair takeover bid | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/article-1238544/Aer-Lingus-braced-Ryanair-takeover-bid.html)

PIK3141
26th Dec 2009, 20:28
Herc708
I think you'll find that the airline part of the industry is very concerned about fuel saving and carbon emissions. This was the central theme of presentation after presentation at a recent flight operations conference in Amsterdam, where the roles of the 50 odd ATC organisations across Europe in these respects were not viewed favourably.

Ryanairs arriving in PIK on 31 and departing on 13 when traffic permits is entirely sensible and sufficient of a norm for air traffic controllers to expect it. It saves fuel, and gets pax in 10 minutes quicker.

I also wonder why 747's off the Atlantic have to route to Turnberry then turn 90 degrees left, fly north, the 90 degrees right to join the 13 ILS, instead of routing straight in as they did years ago.

You can also see flights out of Dublin ? routing north and doing a 90 degree turn over Turnberry to head east.

As I said, a common theme at that conference was why ATC could not do more in fuel and emissions saving by direct routing and in Europe, coordinating more with each other. It was seen as the outstanding area for improvement.

I applaud Ryanair for straight in approaches on 31 where it is possible, and am bemused by other airlines that don't ask, so don't get, and add 10 minutes flight time and fuel burn as they go the long way round.

OneOfTheKraut
30th Dec 2009, 08:07
In Germans airliners.de (http://forum.airliners.de/index.php?showtopic=46078) it's said that MOL has been caught meeting the boss of German charter airline Condor, Ralf Teckentrup, in a hotel in Geneva, Switzerland. Allegedly they've been discussing a take-over of the long distance airline by Ryanair.
There's no evidence given in the forum posting, and so wild guessing and vicious mauling attacks are tearing the thread apart.

OliWW
1st Jan 2010, 22:14
With bmibaby now favourite airline to go bust next, would FR expand from EMA if they were to do so??

racedo
1st Jan 2010, 22:26
Oliww

FFS its Jan 1 and the antics of a gambling website designed purposely to attract people to its site to spend money where the odds are always in favour of the bookies should really be discounted in talking about airline futures........

They do it for football managers / clubs to be relegated / politicians etc so why not just ignore.

racedo
1st Jan 2010, 22:37
it's said that MOL has been caught meeting the boss of German charter airline Condor, Ralf Teckentrup, in a hotel in Geneva, Switzerland. Allegedly they've been discussing a take-over of the long distance airline by Ryanair.

Interesting 1st post

Alternatively they could have been just chewing the fat and discussing the industry within Europe or opportunities for FR to supplement some of the routes that are currently flown by Condor or a place to sell on some Airbuses in the event of an EI takeover and adding to the list of potential conversations is relatively easy.

eu01
3rd Jan 2010, 07:35
MOL has made a public confession again: "It will be a nicer, warmer, caring airline with me gone. I think half our passengers would like to see me dead and buried, actually, and eventually they'll get what they want. Frankly, I couldn't care less as long as they fly with us."

Let's quote Sunday Independent (http://www.independent.ie/national-news/oleary-people-want-me-dead-1997064.html) now:
O'Leary (...) admitted he had done little to improve his image but said he was unconcerned what people thought of him. He predicted that once he had gone, the public perception of Ryanair would improve. "I don't think I've done a very good job on the whole customer image of Ryanair," he said.

"Actually the service is phenomenal in terms of fares and our performance on punctuality, lost bags, and cancellations. One way or another we're going to change come 2012. That is probably the time you want to change the image of Ryanair. It is very easy to change the image of Ryanair. Just take me out of it."

Asked about the qualities his successor would require he said: "All the qualities that I don't have -- sensitivity, passenger care, environmentally sensitive -- all that kind of good, warm crap.

"They'd need to make up for 20 years of my mis-management in the areas that I don't manage well.

"I'm very good at running an airline which has very low costs, is very punctual and delivers what it says on the tin, but I don't have the skill set to make us warm and loved and I just don't give a rat's."Apparently he realizes very well what does need to change/ to be complemented in his airline, why not start at once?

racedo
3rd Jan 2010, 08:35
Apparently he realizes very well what does need to change/ to be complemented in his airline, why not start at once?

Because were he to do it now then people would refuse to believe he was really doing it and see it as a PR spin exercise grabbing every single incident as a way to beat up on them.

There was another interview posted in Nov / Dec with FT where he was stating he wasn't the person to be running FR when they stop their aggressive expansion.

The problem with most people who start up businesses and grow aggressively to a large size is when to know to step aside and ensure business continuity with a different type of management...........the biggest challenge to FR is to find that individual(s) and probable he/she shouldn't be from Airline industry but from a Customer Service Industry background.

Once gone the biggest challenge for MO'L will be to stay away and not undermine any new person or be seen to be interfering.........bit like when a long succesful football manager retires.

Shed-on-a-Pole
3rd Jan 2010, 11:51
Ryanair's customer service becomes an irrelevance if they cease to fly routes which are useful to their customers. Over recent months I flew 22 Ryanair sectors - all to/from Manchester. This year I don't expect to fly with them at all - because as a customer they no longer offer me a useful product (I prefer Aer Lingus on MAN-DUB, and Ryanair offer nothing else from this area). However warm and lovable they manage to become under any new CEO the message is simple: fly a route which is useful to me as a customer and I will book with you. If you choose not to, I will book with a competitor. I will not travel to a remote field to accommodate the ego of MOL and his crew after they have failed to bully an airport authority into servicing Ryanair at unsustainable prices (or free?). Customer service becomes unimportant if you no longer sell products (routes) which are attractive to your former regular customers.

As a customer, I am not intrinsically anti-Ryanair. I neither love them nor hate them. They are simply a provider of a travel product which reflects the price paid for it. If they were to resume a decent offering of routes from MAN, I would happily book them again tomorrow. Ex-customers like myself don't *hate* the company ... we just recognize they no longer offer inventory (routes) which are remotely relevant to us.

Perhaps MOL's successor would be best served by swallowing some pride, paying the very reasonable £3.50 per pax charge which airports such as MAN offered, and re-entering markets with a proven customer base there for the taking.

SHED.

Twitcher
3rd Jan 2010, 22:50
Budget airline Ryanair has been accused of being "puerile and childish" over its payment policy by business watchdog the Office of Fair Trading (OFT).

OFT chief executive John Fingleton, attacked the company for fees that Ryanair adds when customers use all but one type of credit card to pay online.

He told the Independent newspaper that the firm used a legal loophole to justify charging the extra fee.

Ryanair said their payment policy model allows passengers "to avoid costs".

The law says that if an airline offers at least one free payment method, it is allowed to advertise cheap fares that do not include extra credit card charges.

Mr Fingleton said Ryanair had chosen a rare payment method to get around the rules.

Currently the airline only offers a free booking service to customers who pay for tickets with a MasterCard's prepaid card.

'Taunting consumers'

According to a BBC Money Box report in November, Ryanair charges £5 per person, per flight, even if all the passengers are paid for on the one card, in a single transaction.

Mr Fingleton told the Independent newspaper: "Ryanair has this funny game where they have found some very low frequency payment mechanism and say: 'Well because you can pay with that'.

"It's almost like taunting consumers and pointing out: 'Oh well, we know this is completely outside the spirit of the law, but we think it's within the narrow letter of the law'."
He added: "On some level it's quite puerile - it's almost childish.

Mr Fingleton also questioned the automatic addition of insurance to flights by airlines such as Ryanair, unless customers opted out.

Ryanair Head of Communications Stephen McNamara said: "Ryanair is not for the overpaid John Fingletons on this world but for the everyday Joe Bloggs who opt for Ryanair's guaranteed lowest fares because we give them the opportunity to fly across 26 European countries for free, £5 and £10.

"What the OFT must realise is that passengers prefer Ryanair's model as it allows them to avoid costs, such as baggage charges, which are still included in the high fares of high cost, fuel surcharging, strike-threatened airlines such as BA."

According to the Money Box report, the UK Cards Association estimates for credit cards, banks charge airlines between 1.5% to 2.5% of a payment in transaction fees.

It believes it is significantly less than £1 to process a debit card transaction.

That means a family of four on a return journey paying on one debit card should pay about 30p, if they were just covering the airline's costs, but would be charged £40 by Ryanair.

ayroplain
3rd Jan 2010, 23:46
In the interests of fair play:

This on the EI website:
Handling Fee: Charges as follows: €5 per person or equivalent, per flight. Flights originating in the USA, Infant Bookings and Bookings using Visa Electron are not subject to the handling fee.

Are the Irish the only ones doing this?

racedo
4th Jan 2010, 00:05
BA Booking Fee £4.50 per ticket but depends on the country as its $30 per ticket if in Israel.

BA's booking fee for tickets bought online - Times Online (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article504559.ece)
Mind you BA was 1st to impose hits on people who booked online 5 years ago.

Then again Fingleton made no comment on BA charging £15 to reserve a seat or seems unwilling to force airlines to include the Fuel surcharges which they have been imposing for almost 2 years into their advertised ticket price.

apaul
4th Jan 2010, 01:26
Racado why drag up a four year-old inaccurate press cutting? BA do not levy an extra fee for paying by a debit card. Airlines have, admittedly belatedly, been compelled to include surcharges in the advertised ticket price.

stormin norman
4th Jan 2010, 07:47
MOL has made a public confession again: "It will be a nicer, warmer, caring airline with me gone. I think half our passengers would like to see me dead and buried, actually, and eventually they'll get what they want. Frankly, I couldn't care less as long as they fly with us."

Start caring MOL- we don't anymore

racedo
4th Jan 2010, 09:18
Racado why drag up a four year-old inaccurate press cutting? BA do not levy an extra fee for paying by a debit card.

Wrong it wasn't inaccurate, it was correct when issued.

What it highlights is yet again that what FR is being Pilloried for has already been done by other airlines in the past, in addition I am wondering why you hav not commented on why a person using BA's website from Israel should have to pay $30 for a ticket......least FR is consistent in charging same per person when it applies.

Coquelet
4th Jan 2010, 10:25
A lot of airlines charge a fee when using a credit card. For instance, Brussels Airlines :

Transaction fee
A transaction fee of 5€ will be charged when you pay your booking departing Brussels with your credit card. Debit methods of payment and Cash-Ticket are available and are free of charge.

I don't see why Ryanair is always pointed out as the bad guy. Moreover, Brussels Airlines and quite a few carriers still levy a prehistoric fuel surcharge, whilst there is none at Ryanair.

al446
4th Jan 2010, 10:32
A transaction fee of 5€ will be charged when you pay your booking departing Brussels with your credit card. Debit methods of payment and Cash-Ticket are available and are free of charge.

And that is what the OFT is criticising, the charge for a payment method that costs the airline nothing or no more than cash would.

Gaza
4th Jan 2010, 12:00
I dont care what you call it, I would feel safer knowing everyone on my flight had a passport that has been checked rather than a blockbuster card or a fishing permit.

I'll call it pure revenue protection as well. As already pointed out BA and BMI do not normally require any form of ID for domestics. BE require ID but accept my company ID. EZY will accept driving licenses. FR are alone in insisting on a Passport of EU ID card for domestics.

EZY, BE and FR all insist the requirement for ID is on security grounds but that is complete and utter bollocks. What they are trying to avoid is people (companies in particular) buying up loads of cheap tickets months in advance on routes their staff fly frequently and then issuing the tickets to anyone to use. It also prevents the resale of tickets through auction sites such as ebay.

Telstar
4th Jan 2010, 12:01
Does anyone have any educated opinions on where the row with the Italian authorities will end? There appears to be increasingly combatative stances taken by both parties involved, with the Italian regulator reportedly suing Ryanair for libel? Will FR pull a lot of aircraft out of Italy, will staff lose their jobs? This appears to be a LOT more then a war of words.

h&s
4th Jan 2010, 12:11
this is as well what i heard: a lot more
Time will tell but Ryanair won't give up such very good routes for a simple id problem
On bases such as BRI, CAG, TPS or BDS, half of the routes are domestics, so can't see what they'll do with their aircraft...

al446
4th Jan 2010, 17:50
It is not a case of RYR 'giving up' routes but the Italians telling them to sod off, and good on em for doing it. In UK any other airline on domestics will accept official photo ID (WTF did Gozo get fishing licence and blockbuster card from?) in the form of driving licence, ID card etc, but it must have been issued by a recognised authority. Perhaps it is because RYR want to employ the lowest form of staff at the lowest wage and dont want to confuse the poor bozos.

EuroWings
4th Jan 2010, 19:32
(WTF did Gozo get fishing licence and blockbuster card from?)

The Italians deem a fishing licence as appropriate ID.

Personally, I think if it is a secure and relatively tamper proof form of photographic ID, it should be accepted on domestic flights. But whether or not an Italian fishing/hunting licence or old style ID should be accepted is debatable.

Perhaps it is because RYR want to employ the lowest form of staff at the lowest wage and dont want to confuse the poor bozos.

Just because handling agents are not the highest paid in the world, does not mean that they incapable of inspecting ID. Handling agents on the same wage manage to deal with other airlines in Italy (i.e. easyJet or Alitalia) who have accepted the rules on Italian domestic flights. These people are not 'bozos' who work for Ryanair's handling agents, in many cases they deal with other airlines applying these rules.

I suspect the real reason is not having to modify their systems. This also allows them to keep their policy of ID requirements consistent throughout the network. It's probably cheaper for them to do this. :rolleyes:

I notice that while the routes have been cancelled from January 23rd they seem to resume again at the end of March. :suspect: Perhaps FR are looking to resolve the issue by then, however, I think it's looking unlikely with ENAC even threatening to sue! :E

FR-
4th Jan 2010, 19:48
al446 Just who do you think you are? Coming out with abuse like that.

"Perhaps it is because RYR want to employ the lowest form of staff at the lowest wage and dont want to confuse the poor bozos".

People like you do not belong here, go:delete

al446
4th Jan 2010, 20:12
I mean no insult to anyone presently employed in any capacity within aviation support nor those who may wish to pursue that, it is more a comment on RYR and how they appear to wish drive standards within aviation down to the lowest level possible in order that they can reap cost benefits. To this end I would think it feasible that they would wish to standardise across the company acceptable forms of ID to only one ie passport. This would mean that they could then insist on their handling agents taking on people of lesser calibre than presently at lower cost as they would need lesser powers of discrimination due to only needing to accept that one form of ID, no argument and no confusion. I believe RYR to be the European cancer of aviation, I am sure they have their counterparts on other continents.

I mean to offend nobody working in this capacity or with wishes to do so, it is more of a comment on how FR will try to distort the industry to its detriment.

EI-BUD
4th Jan 2010, 20:47
I posted on the Aer Lingus thread info on a snapshot of an EI Timetable going back to summer 1996.

I had some details of an old Ryanair timetable that some might find interesting and what a stark contrast to today's!

Winter 1988/1989
Brussels London Luton (UQ London European B11 Mon-Fri x1)
Dublin Cardiff x1 Mon, Wed, Fri x B11
Dublin Knock MonX2, WedX1, FriX2- EMB
Dublin Liverpool mon, tue, wed, Fri&Sun x 1 B11 (EI did also operate)
Dublin London Luton 5 daily B11
Dublin Munich satX1 B11
Cork London Luton mon-fri x1 Fri x2 + Sun x1 B11
Galway London Luton mon-fri +sun ATR
Knock Birmingham Sat x1 B11
Knock London Gatwick x 1 weekly Thursday
Knock London Luton daily B11
Knock Manchester mon, wed ,fri x 1 B11
Shannon London Luton daily x 1 B11
Waterford London Luton daily x 1 ATR

So B11's ATR and Banderainte- the ATR could be EI-BYO

EI-BUD

EI-BUD
4th Jan 2010, 21:00
Summer 1991 and the opening of the new Stansted
and this included business class, actually if you search on youtube you can see the advert that ran on TV of this new Business Class, you can see the B11 and STN at that time!

Dublin/Stansted x 6 daily
Dublin/Luton x2 daily
Dublin/Liverpool x3 daily
Knock/Luton x1 daily (x2 on sat)
Knock/Stansted x daily x sat Via Dublin
Cork/Luton daily
Dublin/Munich daily (sat direct, other days via STN)
Stansted/Munich daily x sat (Not sure if FR operated)
Galway/Stansted x3 daily (1 daily via Waterford)ATR
Waterford/Stansted x3 daily ATR
Kerry/Stansted daiy ATR

EI-BUD

eu01
5th Jan 2010, 15:48
Il 7 gennaio riunione in ENAC sulla sicurezza del trasporto aereo: strumenti e tecnologie all’indomani del fallito attentato sul volo Delta e vicenda Ryanair sull’equipollenza dei documenti di riconoscimento e identitàENAC announced today that on Thursday, January 7th will be held the security meeting to address the security issues in the aftermath of the failed attack on the Amsterdam-Detroit flight and the possibilities of using some new tools and technologies at major Italian airports.

Another topic to be discussed is the Ryanair stand on the validity of the identity documents in accord to national legislation and the statements made by the carrier in relation to security.

theredbarron
5th Jan 2010, 18:51
Al446

I can't race the original quote, but a few years back FR did clearly state that they deliberately restricted the forms of proof of identity they would accept so as not to confuse their staff. I think this arose as an issue because the press had got hold of the fact that they had refused to accept a UK serviceman's forces ID card on a UK domestic flight. A clear case of them putting their staff's (limited by FR's definition?) ability before passenger convenience or even common sense. Or is it a revenue earner from refused boardings due to unacceptable ID being produced?

Someone needs to forcibly tell MOL that here in the UK we do not need passports to travel domestically within our country and I'm surprised that Liberty or N2ID or another similar pressure group hasn't challenged them in court.

My bottom line: FR are a bunch of **** and I would only demean my self to fly with them as a very last resort. They do not deserve patronage.

al446
5th Jan 2010, 19:47
Red Barron - You underline my point very well. When I was serving in the RAF my 1250 (ID) was accepted not only as proof of who I was but also as an emergency cheque guarantee card. I would be most seriously put out if a card that would allow me access to a nuclear facility, which it did, did not allow me to fly.

I accept in present climate that photo ID on aircraft is a must but it seems to be the laziness and arrogance of RYR that drive them to try to dictate rather than compile a list of officially acceptable ID.. I doubt that it is a revenue earner.

Your final sentence echoes my thoughts exactly.

EuroWings
6th Jan 2010, 20:41
A clear case of them putting their staff's (limited by FR's definition?) ability before passenger convenience or even common sense.

I accept in present climate that photo ID on aircraft is a must but it seems to be the laziness and arrogance of RYR that drive them to try to dictate rather than compile a list of officially acceptable ID.. I doubt that it is a revenue earner.

I firmly believe that it is nothing to do with staff ability or management laziness. Remember, outside handling staff (who generally inspect ID on behalf of FR) often work with other airlines policies aswell. Taking one example, at LPL, Ryanair operates domestic flights to BHD & LDY. Servisair staff check passports at the gate, later on, passengers on the Flybe flight to IOM also have their various forms of ID inspected by Servisair. Even the same staff at times!

Basically, Ryanair want to keep the policy as simple as possible so the process is speeded up to meet turnaround times e.t.c. It also allows them to operate the cost-cutting 100% online check-in with no complications or paying for upgraded software, they ditched accepting drivers licences on UK domestic flights when they began fully using this system. And yes I realise EZY, BE, BA, BD and others can manage to operate with all different ID forms and online check-in. But hey, it's FR we are talking about, they like it to operate with the absolute lowest costs!

Personally, I'm neither pro or anti FR. But I don't find it a huge hassle to bring a passport on domestic runs, infact it's quite easy to comply with! I travel to Belfast from LPL alot. I have a choice between EZY to BFS or FR to BHD. Usually it's FR because it's the most convenient for where i'm heading..and generally considerably cheaper if it's an early booking. The service isn't brilliant on FR but neither is it on EZY, the passport thing doesn't seem to bother anyone I know.....:cool:

ara01jbb
6th Jan 2010, 21:02
The service isn't brilliant on FR but neither is it on EZY, the passport thing doesn't seem to bother anyone I know.....http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/cool.gif

Ditto the above. After 40+ domestic FR sectors in the UK in 2009, I don't complain, although my passport is looking very very ragged ... :ok:

h&s
7th Jan 2010, 07:49
There is an important meeting today between the ENAC and Ryanair. If this is only an id/security issue, it should be fixed by today
If there is something behind like taxes issues, social security issue, work law respect issues etc, I think it won't be a good day for Ryanair italian passengers and cabin crews jobs
Ryanair won't give up its domestics for only an id issue, so clearly if the issue is not resolved today, there is a huge problem behind with has nothing to do with security matter and I hope ENAC will communicate on it

Rhodes13
7th Jan 2010, 08:11
H&S if you read the italian forum on pprune about this very topic youll find that this all started off because an Italian member of parliment was travelling with Ryanair and insisted on using her parlimentary ID. When she was refused at the gate for failing to comply with her contract with Ryanair she kicked up a fuss. Knowing the head of ENAC she promptly complained and well here we are.
Corruption who would have thought that was going on in Italy :ugh:

Sorry about the grammar its from google translate, so unfortunately for you (h&s) there is no other conspiricy involved here.

Google Traduci (http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=it&ie=UTF-8&sl=it&tl=en&u=http://www.agoravox.it/attualita/politica/article/lei-non-sa-chi-sono-io-la-vertenza-11979&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.it&usg=ALkJrhiAwMlK17zQER6MxYGk3zylafjMCA)

befree
7th Jan 2010, 08:36
As always ryanair look like they are doing very well at growing traffic. What seems to be going wrong is they are not getting the profitable traffic. They carried less people in December than November. The 12% growth is poor considering that BA were possibly hit by strike. Ryanair were 81% booked but EZJ were 85.4% booked even though they often have higher fares.

The other thing they reported today is they have hedged half they fuel for 2010-11 at $720/tonne. They are paying about $620 per tonne for 2009-10. I see jet fuel will be at $1000/tonne again soon.

racedo
7th Jan 2010, 10:28
December Pax numbers

09 - 4.90M
08 - 4.37M
+12%

Load Factor
09 - 81%
08 - 79%
+2%

12 Months rolling
2009 - 65.3M
2008 - 57.7M
+ 13.6%
Load Factor 82%
+.5%

racedo
7th Jan 2010, 10:44
As always ryanair look like they are doing very well at growing traffic. What seems to be going wrong is they are not getting the profitable traffic.

And your data to back this up is where ?
Could you do the comparable between FR / BA / U2 and EI regarding profitable traffic........oh wait BA and EI are massive loss makers so just do a Qtr comparable on FR and U2.

They carried less people in December than November. The 12% growth is poor considering that BA were possibly hit by strike. Ryanair were 81% booked but EZJ were 85.4% booked even though they often have higher fares.

Given that BA's operations do not not hugely overlap with FR's then puzzled about why you would expect FR to benefit that much......I wouldn't have.

The other thing they reported today is they have hedged half they fuel for 2010-11 at $720/tonne. They are paying about $620 per tonne for 2009-10. I see jet fuel will be at $1000/tonne again soon.

So what you are finally saying is that they have done well again in hedging at a low level well below what their competitors are currently paying or do you feel that everyone else will get fuel miles cheaper and FR will be paying nore than everybody ?

FR-
7th Jan 2010, 11:03
I understand that EMA will be getting two extra a/c from the end of march. But im not sure if its two up from the summer (6) OR two up from the winter (5). Also BTS maybe coming back. I know we are expecting 55/70 new crew, and we require 10 extra PU.

FR-

boyzinblue
7th Jan 2010, 11:51
Lübeck

Appartently Airport Weeze are a potential investor for Lübeck airport - if the city of Lübeck sell.
I can only imagine Weeze being interested if Ryanair create a base in Lübeck - as initially planned 3 years ago?

anna_list
7th Jan 2010, 12:25
... or so it seems:

"Ryanair (blah blah) announced that it would restore all its Italian domestic flights – without interruption – from January 23rd next, as Ryanair and ENAC today reached agreement that all passengers intending to travel on Ryanair’s domestic Italian flights will provide either a passport or valid EU/EEA National Identity Card in full compliance with the security requirements, which apply on all Ryanair flights across the EU."

h&s
7th Jan 2010, 13:47
very good news for pax and crews!
do we know what is the putcome? did ryanair agreed to respect new rules?

Sikpupi
7th Jan 2010, 13:56
so...who won the argument????

befree
7th Jan 2010, 14:15
The data to back up or rubbish my predition will be in the q3 report on the 2nd Feb 2010. I suspect in Q3 Ryanair will have made very little profit. Next year it will have to pay $100 extra per tonne of fuel and will be loss making in the winter (but profitable in the summer). When jet fuel goes back to well over $1000 ryanair could make loss over all on each year. That is why it is not ordering more planes.

eu01
7th Jan 2010, 14:31
I expect though that it'll be resolved before it ever happens...
Well, it's true:ok:, but... A very costly decision. ...that, however, could also become true. Expect half-empty planes in two weeks from now. All bookings were cancelled by now and pax already got their money back.

RAT 5
7th Jan 2010, 16:44
".....all passengers intending to travel on Ryanair’s domestic Italian flights will provide either a passport or valid EU/EEA National Identity Card in full compliance with the security requirements, which apply on all Ryanair flights across the EU."

Is this true? I do not often fly RYR, and not UK domestic. As UK has no national ID cards, and as many people, in UK & in EU Schengen countries, do not have/need passports, how do they travel STN - EDI for exampe? Perhaps they can not. I suppose the same is true for internal flights in Spain as Italy? What solution do non passport holding UK citizens have for their internal flights?

fanrailuk
7th Jan 2010, 17:04
This may help you with regard to UK citizens not owning a passport - sadly, no hope until 2012!

Identity cards | Home Office (http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/passports-and-immigration/id-cards/index.html)

PP ;)

racedo
7th Jan 2010, 17:23
The data to back up or rubbish my predition will be in the q3 report on the 2nd Feb 2010. I suspect in Q3 Ryanair will have made very little profit. Next year it will have to pay $100 extra per tonne of fuel and will be loss making in the winter (but profitable in the summer). When jet fuel goes back to well over $1000 ryanair could make loss over all on each year. That is why it is not ordering more planes.

You stated they not getting them as fact so now its a prediction :rolleyes:

Given that on each occasion they produce results you start with the premise they are going bust or will go bust soon I think Mystic Meg is a better predictor.

racedo
7th Jan 2010, 17:27
"Ryanair (blah blah) announced that it would restore all its Italian domestic flights – without interruption – from January 23rd next, as Ryanair and ENAC today reached agreement that all passengers intending to travel on Ryanair’s domestic Italian flights will provide either a passport or valid EU/EEA National Identity Card in full compliance with the security requirements, which apply on all Ryanair flights across the EU."

So NO CHANGE from current rules then.

eu01
7th Jan 2010, 17:31
I feel so comfortable travelling with my European ID card as it's very practical and fits everywhere. In fact, I thought every EU citizen already could have one...
Nice to hear that you will be able to use your own cards, I believe it's a nifty solution for UK citizens too.

Seljuk22
8th Jan 2010, 07:47
Wednesday, 13th January, press conference in Berlin

escortmk2
8th Jan 2010, 13:08
According to this article from today's Irish Independent the 3rd Aer Lingus bid is unlikely to happen.

Ryanair shareholders set for e1bn windfall in 2013 - Irish, Business - Independent.ie (http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/ryanair-shareholders-set-for-e1bn-windfall-in-2013-2004631.html)

Charlie Roy
8th Jan 2010, 13:56
My money is on "he will".

irish lad
9th Jan 2010, 00:36
my money is also on "he will"

Not spending money on planes- no expansion!

MOL will either occupy himself by taking over Aerlingus or he'll retire!!!

FR-
9th Jan 2010, 06:53
Just out of interest if Ryanair was to buy EI, how many slots does it have at LHR? Would Ryanair sell them or rent them? Also would FR use it to get into LGW as a base, over the last few months we have seen FR add routes to LGW from its european bases.

eu01
9th Jan 2010, 20:57
Before the end of this year the local airport in Lelystad, a small Dutch town, will become operational after an expansion. The authorities announced (http://www.ezpress.eu/news/13621/Verkeersleiding_Lelystad_Airport_nog_dit_jaar) today that they have also initiated talks with Ryanair to include the airport into its network. After the enlargement the runway at LEY/EHLE will be 2100m (6,890 ft) long, its facilities will be able to handle approximately 2 million passengers per year. Lelystad is situated just 60 km from Amsterdam on the seabed of the former Zuidersee.

fanrailuk
9th Jan 2010, 21:55
Goodness, if these 'talks' come true, expect a fanfare...

NEW ROUTES TO...AMSTERDAM (Lelystad)

Well, it's about time FR started eating at the Amsterdam (area) market; I guess they're thinking the same by avoiding AMS' charges, and cleverly so!

PP ;)

Jippie
9th Jan 2010, 23:20
I suppose it won't be this decade that Lelystad is operational with a longer runway and a bigger passenger terminal.

Noxegon
10th Jan 2010, 07:11
Hmm, wouldn't Rotterdam be as convenient? I seem to recall that Basiqair couldn't make that one work...

eu01
10th Jan 2010, 07:20
Hmm, wouldn't Rotterdam be as convenient?It would be even better, but not necessarily the economic conditions there (fees etc.)

jaypla
10th Jan 2010, 08:35
Is there a page, where u can find information about, when and where the FR press conferences take place? Thanks

Charlie Roy
10th Jan 2010, 10:57
Hmm, wouldn't Rotterdam be as convenient? I seem to recall that Basiqair couldn't make that one work...

Basiqair became Transavia and they're still at Rotterdam. Yes Rotterdam is convenient for Amsterdam but probably has charges that are multiple times those of this new Lelystad airport...

racedo
10th Jan 2010, 11:09
Lelystad - Amstedam is 40 minutes by train V 20 minutes from Schipol but service is being upgarded to fast Amsterdam - Gronigen line so that will probably be reduced and reckon with smaller terminal and quick transfer then easily with a year or two it will be 1 hour from landing to centre of Amsterdam which will compare with Schipol.

AMS flyer
10th Jan 2010, 20:59
Forget Amsterdam/Lelystad for the time being. It's still not sure if the airport will remain at its current location.... And in The Netherlands it can take more than 20 years to have the green light for a runway extension (example: GRQ) which is necessary for Lelystad to be able to accomodate Ryanair and other B737/A320's.

AMS and RTM are too expensive for Ryanair and GRQ is also waiting for a runway extension. So, for the next couple of years Ryanair will only operate to EIN and MST.

jaypla
11th Jan 2010, 04:48
Does anybody know anything about the press conference on wednesday in Berlin?

pee
12th Jan 2010, 05:53
This comment was published in The Independent today:Thanks in no small part to Michael O'Leary's largesse, the prize money for Cheltenham's Ryanair Chase is being boosted from £220,000 to £250,000 this year at a time when it is being cut for most other races. So now you know where all those "puerile" (copyright OFT) extra fees which you have to use a Visa Electron on the third Thursday of a 30-day month to avoid are going.

LPFR
12th Jan 2010, 09:39
Quick question for anyone that knows STN..

So I'm doing something I shouldn't and that FR strongly discourage, but I booked a "connecting" flight through STN to get to GRX visit some friends.

My first flight arrives at STN at 13:05, and the flight to GRX departs at 15:50. Assuming that the first flight lands on time, I guess there will be no problem to get to the second one, but in case it runs late, how late can it be for me to still be able to catch the second flight? Keeping in mind I have to get off the plane, go to departures, security, etc..

12th Jan 2010, 09:54
Two problems at Rotterdam
- It is owned by Schiphol Group, so isn't allowed to pursue a strategy that could undermine growth up the road.
- It has very severe limitations on the number of flights. These were lifted by Rotterdam City Council a number of years ago, but the neighbouring municipalities of Schiedam and Berkel en Rodenrijs, which live under the flight path appealed the decision at national level and won. So, growth has to come from larger aircraft rather than extra flights.

Lelystad is also owned by Schiphol Group, so it would be interesting to see how easily an agreement could be made.

pee
12th Jan 2010, 10:36
AMS is owned by Schiphol group
Rotterdam is owned by Schiphol group
Lelystad is owned by Schiphol group
Let's live monopoly then...

Not only in the Netherlands by the way.

underfish
12th Jan 2010, 11:33
Finavia, by the way :)

Ryanair Tickets from LPP to NRN are selling very well (All 12.99 promo fares for starting April and May are sold out and current price for some days is already 50-60 euros one way). They even desided to start flights one month earlier - from 4th of March.

BALLSOUT
12th Jan 2010, 12:32
LPFR. It shouldn't be a problem. The time taken will depend if you have checked in bags or not. Obviously the best and quickest way is on line check in and hand baggage only. I think you will find that there are many people doing the same thing as yourself, FR don't offer the conections because they don't want to be responsible on the odd ocasion it goes wrong.

LPFR
12th Jan 2010, 13:58
Thank you. Yes, I know they don't offer conections and tell pax not to do them, but it's the only way to get to GRX...Still, any idea, how much time it takes from arriving to go to departures again? I'm giving enough time, but if the flight runs late I think I'll freak out. And yes, only hand-bagagge of course.

johnref
12th Jan 2010, 14:16
I've done arrival gate out and back into departures lounge in less than 15 mins (you need to factor extra time to gate but I think you avoid the train with Ryanair).

If coming in domestically this is very possible - if coming in International need to factor time for passport control which could be the lottery.

davidjohnson6
12th Jan 2010, 14:20
On the flight into STN, take an aisle seat at the front of the plane. Depending on the arrival gate, it may well be a 10+ min walk just to the immigration hall.
Once you exit arrivals at Stansted, turn right. About midway down the length of the terminal, the entrances to security screening start.

From arrival aircaft steps to departure gate, you're probably looking around 30 mins if you can run a bit and queues aren't too long. Worth looking at the airport map on the STN website in advance - signs are fairly good but helps to know a route in advance

LPFR
12th Jan 2010, 15:26
Will take a look at the map. Thank you all for the info. :ok:
Should work out well then, even if there's 1.30h delay or so on the first flight.

al446
12th Jan 2010, 18:44
From what I see they want this up and running by end 2010, that may be optimistic. It seems to me that this is the start of 'Schiphol 2'. The a/p has needed to expand for some time, a few years ago I read an article about a proposition to create an island in the N Sea connected by a causeway to allow the a/p to gradually move from its present position (they did it with HK) but objections from neighbouring countries & shipping interests scuppered that. This is ideal. Start by moving locos out there so free up slots for big boys. They also have almost unlimited space for expansion.

Dutch thoughts anyone?

Tot ziens.

boyzinblue
13th Jan 2010, 10:27
Press conference in Berlin:

3.4 million passengers in 6 years. No new routes/base announced.

pee
13th Jan 2010, 13:11
Fiasco on the Rygge - Nyköping route.

Ryanair's attempt to fly twice-daily between RYG and NYO has failed. Despite 9 krone (€1) fares the LFs are very poor indeed. From 1st February the frequencies will be reduced to once-daily (no more morning flights).

barrymah
13th Jan 2010, 13:43
I've been being a naughty boy in FR/Stanstead for years, and, so far, never been caught out. Allowing 2hrs+ between connections is about right. One of the things FR is good at is timekeeping, goes with the heavy usage of aircraft, crews, 25min turnarounds, etc. You should be fine, main risk at this time of year is weather....

Bon voyage

eu01
14th Jan 2010, 19:15
In Italy, there are strong rumours that Ryanair is about to start flying to "true" Verona (Valerio Catullo airport) this year. That will not weaken the position of BGY, thay say, in fact Orio al Serio will soon get its tenth ac and add flights.

DILLTHEDOG
16th Jan 2010, 15:03
The Drop down box on the RYR Web page from Bournemouth is showing 18 destinations, is that it for next summer ? 17 if you take EDI off which is being canx, will they still do the Canaries in the Summer ?

Is that enoough to keep 2 aircraft busy ?

Or will they have a big fanfair announcement when the second aircraft arrives in march and put on some more routes ?

eu01
16th Jan 2010, 16:32
In Spain, just 12 days are left for Ryanair to confirm the slots it has requested at El Prat (BCN). Among the destinations in question one can find MAD, BVA, LPA, IBZ. The deadline on 28th of January.

Badgermanuk
16th Jan 2010, 17:47
The Canaries Routes from BOH have already been extended for the Summer 2010 Season, this was announced the same time as New routes for Summer 2010 to Fuerteventura, Ibiza, Malta and Valencia were announced, With Palma, Alicante and Malaga also benefiting from increased frequency... so hopefully that'll keep the 2 Craft Busy

Hope that helps

LPFR
17th Jan 2010, 06:45
I wonder why EI-EG... registration series were limited to GA, GB and GC, while FR normally goes through the whole alphabet. EI-EKA and EI-EKB were delivered on the 15th.

ryan2000
17th Jan 2010, 14:36
FR have taken FR9848/9 out of DUB Cork schedule as well as the FR907/8 STN ORK for summer 2010. This would mean that the Cork based 738 will be finished work at 1910 each evening. Not like Ryanair. Is a 2nd ORK LGW on the cards?

The afternoon DUB ORK FR9857/8 has also gone missing from the Summer schedule.

Aer Arann must be watchiing with interest. Is the 4 year David v Goliath battle on ORK DUB about to enter a new phase?

Suzeman
17th Jan 2010, 22:35
From UK Airport News

"Spending a penny" could soon become spending a £ or Euro...Well that's inflation for you! No doubt the crew will have to pay as well......

Next refinement will no doubt be a charge per litre or kilo dependant on whether it is "number ones" or "twos" :} And here's an opportunity for airport shops to stock incontinence pads for those blokes who can't tie a knot in it or ladies who can't keep their legs crossed :eek:

Suzeman

Ryanair will press ahead with plans to charge passengers to use its aircraft’s toilets, the Irish Times reports. Despite admitting an announcement last year that it would install coin-operated facilities was a publicity stunt, chief executive Michael O’Leary is now revisiting the issue, according to the airline.

The budget airline would remove the two toilets at the back of each aircraft, leaving only one on board and creating room for six extra seats. The fee would mean there there is less demand for the limited facilities on board, but things could get difficult if the only toilet broke, which could mean that aviation authorities would not accept the plan.

In its in-flight magazine Ryanair described the coin-operated toilets as a 'cost saving proposal' that would help reduce fares by at least 5 percent. Spokesman Stephen McNamara told the newspaper that the €1/£1 charge would apply only to flights of an hour or less, which would include almost all Ryanair routes between Ireland and Britain.

davidjohnson6
17th Jan 2010, 22:54
Is this just the FR media machine going into overdrive again, or have FR really found a way with regulatory approval to squeeze in 195 seats instead of the standard 189 ?

pee
18th Jan 2010, 06:58
Oh what a trendy nick I have! Thinking about starting the campaign “let us pee for free” :}
the FR media machine going into overdrive again
I've just noticed FR had to adjust the frequencies on many routes even during Summer... as the result of this publicity? The reductions seem directly proportional to its abominable nature. An efficient enterprise with a disastrous propaganda, that's what it is.

wawkrk
18th Jan 2010, 07:07
Maybe the plan is to further reduce turnaround times.
Boarding is a mad dash for seats which reduces the time.
So how do you persuade the pax to scram as quickly as possible when you land?
You make sure all the pax are bursting to go to the toilet when you land.

vkid
18th Jan 2010, 08:30
thought this was a great idea to beat Ryanair and other airlines baggage charges..dunno if it was posted before.

Flylight (http://bocktherobber.com/2009/12/flylight-the-self-weighing-ryanair-busting-luggage-set)

Gulf Julliet Papa
18th Jan 2010, 08:43
Everyone seems to of forgotten that the -800 is limited to 189 seats due to the number of emergency exits. The same with the -900, this was solved on the -900ER by putting another exit on the left hand side of the aircraft. So unless MOL is going to start cutting holes in 200+ aircraft, and plugging them with emergency exits (very very costly). I seem to remember something to do with emergency escape times?

Charlie Roy
18th Jan 2010, 09:10
Spokesman Stephen McNamara told the newspaper that the €1/£1 charge would apply only to flights of an hour or less, which would include almost all Ryanair routes between Ireland and Britain.

I doubt the legality / regulatory-compliance of this in general, but if a person were to buy food or beverages during the flight, they must have free use of the toilets (EU law).
A premises selling food and a drink, having a minimum number of seats, (189 is certainly above this minimum), must provide free toilets for customer use.
I know many business do not respect this law all across the EU, but I'm sure authorities would enforce it for a large pan-European airline!

racedo
18th Jan 2010, 09:42
thought this was a great idea to beat Ryanair and other airlines baggage charges..dunno if it was posted before.

Flylight (http://bocktherobber.com/2009/12/flylight-the-self-weighing-ryanair-busting-luggage-set)

Dunno Maybe its me but why pay €85 for 2 bags when you have existing bags and can buy a hand held scales for under a tenner :rolleyes:

Who is robbing whom on that basis.

Herc708
18th Jan 2010, 11:45
Cancelling Italian Domestic flights on 24 Dec Ryanir said this ...:

".............ENAC’s Ordinanzas threaten to imprison Ryanair’s handling agents, if they refuse travel to passengers flying with unapproved forms of ID including AT/BT Cards, Employment ID’s or Italian Fishing Licences.........."

Now on the Ryanir website it says that the AT/BT card is OK!

"................

A valid AT/BT card (Italian domestic flights only)

................."

pee
18th Jan 2010, 14:02
Some new connections out of Sweden should be announced tomorrow. E.g. the NYO - Bari route is on the agenda.

pee
19th Jan 2010, 06:20
...and it looks as if there will be a batch of announcements not only in Sweden. For instance, Lille is rumoured to get the route to Barcelona today (GRO presumably).

anna_list
19th Jan 2010, 09:45
Flights to Alicante from NRK: Ryanair börjar flyga från Norrköping | Resa | Aftonbladet (http://www.aftonbladet.se/resa/article6451073.ab)
Marknadschefen på flygplatsen nöjd - Norrköping Nyheter - Lokala nyheter - Norrköpings Tidningar (http://www.nt.se/nyheter/artikel.aspx?articleid=5746505)

Norrköping NRK and Nyköping NYO (Skavsta) ... that could easily confuse a stupid person like me!

Lille to GRO from May: Une nouvelle liaison Ryanair : Lille - Barcelone, à partir de mai 2010 - Brèves Région - - La Voix du Nord (http://www.lavoixdunord.fr/actualite/L_info_en_continu/Region/2010/01/19/article_lesquin-avec-ryanair.shtml)

tangarizie
19th Jan 2010, 09:48
Hi guys,

What do you think about Ryanair flying to Iceland, at least from the UK?
Possible, or not possible?

tommyc2005
19th Jan 2010, 10:22
Highly unlikely, can't see KEF giving them the kind of discounts that would entice FR up there.

Egilstaddir or Akureyi would be extremely remote possibilities if the local tourist boards stumped up enough cash to pay for promotion etc, but can't really see it happening.

racedo
19th Jan 2010, 10:39
GO used to have a flight to there but not sure what their load factors were like.

Fernanjet
19th Jan 2010, 11:59
Iceland
Hi guys,

What do you think about Ryanair flying to Iceland, at least from the UK?
Possible, or not possible?

It's possible of course as they have the aircraft spare.....

but i can't see it happening in reality as i can see a big enough demand to warrant much of a service there tbh.

Charlie Roy
19th Jan 2010, 13:06
Are there Open Skies between the EU and Iceland?

airhumberside
19th Jan 2010, 13:11
Yes. Iceland is in the European Economic Area which as far as traffic rights are concerned I think usually means Iceland are treated as an EU member

pee
19th Jan 2010, 13:28
a batch of announcements not only in Sweden
Oops! Very far from that. There are quite a few routes pending (also this NYO-BRI mentioned) but... did you notice the change of attitude there @FR? Not so optimistic any more, more cautious as it seems, maybe trying to improve yields?

babemagnet
19th Jan 2010, 13:28
Ryanair aircraft are not equiped to fly in oceanic airspace and the pilots are not trained for that

tangarizie
19th Jan 2010, 14:35
What do you mean by "oceanic airspace"? What's the difference between flying to Canarias Islands and flying to Iceland?

underfish
19th Jan 2010, 14:53
Ryanair plans Finnish routes to attract Russian travelers - Irish, Business - Independent.ie (http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/ryanair-plans-finnish-routes-to-attract-russian-travelers-2021791.html)

Quote: Ryanair is in talks with Finnish airports near the Russian border on flights to help the airline attract more Russian customers.

pee, which airports it could be, excepting LPP?

Robert1992
19th Jan 2010, 15:14
Tangarizie, Ryanair flies through France and Spain to get to the canaries. Other operators that are equipped will fly airways through the oceanic airspace. There is no alternative to fly to Iceland without going through oceanic airspace therefore at the moment they cannot fly there.

fivejuliet
19th Jan 2010, 15:21
Oceanic Airspace in that there's no radar control. Its not the pilots might not be trained its that not all acft have a HF radio anymore in the RYR fleet

There is a VHF route to Iceland via RATSU alright. So its do-able certainly.

dublinaviator
20th Jan 2010, 01:26
Tangarizie, Ryanair flies through France and Spain to get to the canaries. Other operators that are equipped will fly airways through the oceanic airspace.

Not always, they also fly through Shanwick airspace sometimes.

pee
20th Jan 2010, 05:10
pee, which airports it could be, excepting LPP?
Err... What the hack? There is in fact no other airport situated close enough to target St. Petersburg.

Theoretically very well located is Kouvola-Uitti, with 2000m runway and close to the St. Petersburg - Helsinki highway and railway line. That is, however, a strictly military airfield. Then there is Savonlinna airport, with very beautiful surroundings, but substantially further from Russia's population than LPP. Varkaus with a rwy long enough but not much else around. The biggest in the region, Kuopio-Siilinjärvi, has an excellent runway 2800 m long and some population nearby, but it's located already over 400 km from St. Petersburg. Finally Joensuu, closer to the border but still too far from St. Petersburg. Anything more towards North (Kajaani, Kuusamo) has practically no catchment area across the border. The "plans" look like a bluff, unfortunately.

Targeting Russians? Look at the eastern part of Germany, the former GDR. Remember how many Soviet troops were stationed there? To harness any remaining sentiments, creating a W-pattern route base-SXF-LPP-SXF-base would be a brilliant idea.
¨

EISNN
20th Jan 2010, 12:12
The biggest in the region, Kuopio-Siilinjärvi, has an excellent runway 2800 m long and some population nearby, but it's located already over 400 km from St. Petersburg.

I was in Helsinki recently and there are train AND bus services from Helsinki to St Petersburg.

Coaches (buses) (http://www.cityvision2000.com/intl_transport/coaches.htm)

So I don't imagine a 400km journey would be too much for people to cope with if they really want to travel.

it fits with the FR mantra - "if it can be in the middle of nowhere and costs next to nothing we'll fly there."

look at beauvais, charlerois, hahn, torp, weeze etc etc etc.

I'm not slagging off FR. In fact I'm saying they've been able to fill the seats and make it work from what many - including me - would consider obscure places. If it works it works. It's making some people happy.

underfish
20th Jan 2010, 12:42
pee, thank you. Kuopio is as far from Spb, as Tampere and it even takes less time to reach Tampere because of the 100-120 kmh highways almost all the way.

Don't you know if there are any plans to convert Kouvola-Uitti to civil or military/civil airport? Savonlinna is great place to come, there are thousands of rent cottages out there, and it is only 300 km. from Spb. The only real option, imho.

EISNN, 400 km by bus is not huge problem but border passport and traffic control longs 3-7 hours sometimes. Why are you talking about HEL? :)

pee
20th Jan 2010, 13:33
I was about to answer: No, I'm not aware of any plans to convert Kouvola-Utti airfield to military/civil airport. Meanwhile however I made a brief search and was able to find an interesting text dated 11/2009 (in Finnish) (http://213.28.44.189/djulkaisu/kokous/20091476-15.PDF) with the Kouvola City Council unanimous resolution to increase the level of operation at Utti and start the civil traffic as well. It's a long way to achieve it, but hopefully could be done...

Soon it will take just 95 minutes to travel by the express train from Kouvola to St. Petersburg with passport control taking place inside the ICE. Moreover, the travel time between Helsinki centre and Kouvola railway station has already been shortened to 1 hour 23 minutes. If the upgrade of Utti airfield proves successful that could become a viable option even for travellers visiting the capital city of Finland(!)

racedo
20th Jan 2010, 15:02
it fits with the FR mantra - "if it can be in the middle of nowhere and costs next to nothing we'll fly there."

SNN is another airport which springs to in in that regard :)

Not slagging you off but it does fit into the middle of nowhere idea.

EISNN
20th Jan 2010, 18:55
@UNDERFISH

I was saying that I was in Helsinki - not HEL- but just stating the fact if there are bus and train services from Helsinki Central Train Station to St Petersberg, ergo people up that neck of the woods are willing to travel that long and as so as you mentioned probably willing to put up with the long queues for immigration and customs. So if speculation about Kuvola Utti airfield being upgraded is true well I'm sure it would make a possible destination for FR. I don't think my speculation isn't too off the wall ........ is it?

@RACEDO

well RACEDO I think you should reconsider your last statement. SNN is a fair bit closer to towns and cities than some of the aforementioned airfields. Limerick city is 25 mins by bus, Galway city is 1 hour 10 mins and Ennis is only 20 mins and all of them are served with very frequent bus services served by at least three bus companies. And there are bus services to other surrounding areas also. And did you know that there are currently 1 million people living within 1.5 hours of SNN and that will increase later in the year to 1.6 million when the rest of the motorways and road works are completed/upgraded - courtesy of CSO Ireland figures.

And don't worry I wouldn't dream of thinking you were slagging me. Why would I think that? One shouldn't take anything personally on 'web' forums or indeed any forum.

Keyvon
20th Jan 2010, 19:05
FR is expected to make an important announcement tomorrow for its base in Cork, with a bunch of new routes including Alicante, Girona and Faro, amongst others. This could be also seen as their latest challenge to Aer Lingus.

Aircraft based are set to increase from 1 to 3. It would look like a big switch of capacity from its Shannon base, which has been deeply scaled back this year.

escapeeRYR
20th Jan 2010, 21:09
Three new routes annonced out of Billund today, bets are on Billund to become first danish base within a year or two.

davidjohnson6
21st Jan 2010, 00:30
Unusually candid words from the CFO

Ryanair Plans First Fare Hike in Four Years, CFO Says (Update2) - Bloomberg.com (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=conewsstory&tkr=RYA%3AID&sid=aKRu1Z.JLA58)

anna_list
21st Jan 2010, 09:55
20% Cut at Dublin due to DAA Costs and Tourist Tax - London Stock Exchange (http://www.londonstockexchange.com/exchange/prices-and-news/news/market-news/market-news-detail.html?announcementId=10349294)

Looks like fairly substantial cuts to the Dublin summer schedule ... except there's a twist: They are also announcing capacity increases from Dublin on key holiday routes for the peak summer period (AGP, FAO, PMI, ALC etc). Couple this with the expansion at Cork (if it happens) and you could be forgiven for thinking that they were trying to destroy an airline in which they hold a 30% stake...

Sober Lark
21st Jan 2010, 10:44
Take 2 million capacity from DUB and fill same seats elsewhere for greater profit. Fanfare elsewhere, 2,000 new jobs etc etc then do the same again and so on and so on. More Apple crumble anyone?

doublesix
21st Jan 2010, 17:02
Ryanair to slash Dublin flights, blasts high costs

DUBLIN (AP) — Ryanair, Ireland's major airline, announced Thursday it will slash its Dublin flights by 19 percent this summer and cut 150 jobs in protest at airport fees and an Irish government passenger tax.

Chief Executive Michael O'Leary blamed government-regulated charges, rather than Ireland's recession, for a rapid fall over the past year in Irish traffic. The Dublin Airport Authority, however, dismissed Ryanair's figures as inaccurate and its rhetoric as bogus.

Ryanair said its Dublin flights would fall 19 percent to below 500 per week starting in April, resulting in 2 million fewer passengers this year compared with 2009. The carrier, headquartered in Dublin, estimated this cutback would mean 2,000 lost jobs in airline support services but declined to provide details.

Analysts said Ryanair appeared to be applying a crude multiplier that presumes every 1,000 Ryanair passengers underpins one job.

Europe's most profitable airline has railed for years against the Dublin Airport Authority and its slow development of a second terminal at the capital's overcrowded airport. Ryanair, the airport's major tenant, has insisted it needs only Spartan facilities and blames the project — due to open in November — for a government-approved 40 percent rise in charges.

O'Leary also blamed the government's euro10 ($14) tax charged per passenger for frightening tourists away from Ireland.

But the airport's managers accused Ryanair of grossly distorting figures and misleading the public about its true economic reason — the recession — for pruning Dublin flights to business destinations.

The Dublin Airport Authority said it would increase charges 23 percent this year to euro9.32 ($13.11) per passenger, not 40 percent, after years of no increases. It said the new fee levels would remain 25 percent below European norms.

The authority contrasted this with Ryanair's own rapidly escalating regime of fees for checking bags, using credit and debit cards, and changing bookings.

"It seems odd that an airline that regularly charges passengers euro10 ($14) each for the privilege of paying for a return flight by credit card should argue that this change will cause a seismic shift in travel patterns," the authority said in reference to its own imminent fee hike.

The authority said Ryanair was being "hugely short-sighted" for criticizing the airport's expansion as excessive. It said the second terminal would make Dublin Airport comfortable for travelers "for many decades to come" and would "help position Ireland to take full advantage of the upturn when it comes."

Ryanair is increasingly redeploying its fleet of Boeing 787-400s away from the highly competitive British-Irish arena to lower-charge regional airports in continental Europe. New Ryanair bases opening this year include Faro in Portugal, Malaga in Spain, and Bari and Brindisi in Italy.

But analysts agree that these shifts represent aggressive moves to build new markets, with lower fees a bonus.

Reflecting that opportunism, Ryanair announced Thursday that — despite its claim of high fees driving airline business out of Dublin — it would introduce 37 new flights per week this summer linking Dublin to Mediterranean and Atlantic sun spots.

This move follows the collapse two months ago of Budget Travel, Ireland's largest package-holiday operator, which specialized in charter flights out of Ireland. Ryanair said it would more than double its Dublin flights to Barcelona, Spain, and open two new routes to the Canary Islands.

The Dublin Airport Authority said this move shows that Ryanair is lying about its reasons for cutting routes overall.

"A passenger pays the same charge at Dublin Airport whether they are flying to Malaga or to Manchester," it said. "Ryanair is making these changes to suit Ryanair's own financial position, as is always the case."

Ryanair shares rose 1.5 percent to euro3.45 ($4.85) amid a flat market on the Irish Stock Exchange.

dontdoit
21st Jan 2010, 17:22
A "fleet of Boeing 787-400s"...what you talkin about Willis ? :=

doublesix
21st Jan 2010, 17:36
You retitled the thread dontdoit:=

Must admit I didn't notice the bit about B787-400s though:O

CarbHeatIn
21st Jan 2010, 18:04
and yet there is supposedly a pending announcement doubling or even tripling the number of aircraft based at Cork...

What's that smell Ducksie??

Siggyboy
21st Jan 2010, 18:44
Posted this on the Bournemouth thread but wondered if anyone knows what is going on with above route. Has been showing as a destination all winter but unable to book. Then Tuesday this week flights were loaded for 2 x weekly on a saturday and tuesday. I have booked and paid for return flights for 4 people in the summer. Suddenly yesterday they were removed and not available again.

Anyone got a clue what FR are playing at!!???

Thanks in advance

eu01
21st Jan 2010, 18:50
Ryanair is expanding in Pisa and will base its seventh ac there announcing five new routes
Madrid 3x/week
Reus 3x
Santander 3x
Gothenburg 3x
Fez 2xIt's official (http://www.pisa-airport.com/aeroporto_di_pisa_45_news_244.html).

ab33t
21st Jan 2010, 19:31
Was going to ask if this was an old artical 734?

smith
21st Jan 2010, 19:39
Ryanair cutting Dublin Boeing 787-400 flights by 19%

Why put the aircraft type in the title, everyone knows they only fly one type (the B787-400), "Ryanair cutting Dublin Flights by 19%" would be better.

Now thet the Boeing deal has broken down whats the chances of them buy the Airbus A230 or A139?

doublesix
21st Jan 2010, 19:50
The original thread title I inserted was 'Ryanair cutting Dublin flights by 19%.

The second poster or some other party took it upon themselves to re-title the thread.

D6

nooluv
21st Jan 2010, 19:58
how can anybody edit another persons thread?

EI-CON
21st Jan 2010, 20:04
everyone knows they only fly one type (the B787-400),

What???? Ryanair fly 737-800's guys come on!

Anyways a real shame to see Ryanair cutting back in Dublin and best of luck to the 150 who will loose there jobs. But everytime an airport increases its charges Ryanair either cut routes or stop expanding take Kerry, Valencia, Manchester etc etc.

Why the government put a 10euro travel tax on is beyond me. Every dog in the street knew what Ryanair were going to do next. This government really do walk around with there heads in the sand.

Why not lower charges and stabilise or even increase growth?? Oh no lets increase prices instead and drive out the only airline that is actually making money in this recession! :ugh:

victorc10
21st Jan 2010, 20:22
Unlikely anyone at Ryanair will lose a job, they just won't be working out of DUB.

dontdoit
21st Jan 2010, 20:48
I am the "2nd poster" you refer to. Not possible for me to alter the thread title. I accept your apology. :)

pee
25th Jan 2010, 06:23
It's not a newest photo, but havn't seen it before:http://maimg.no.publicus.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Avis=MA&Dato=20100125&Kategori=AKTUELLKOMMENTAR&Lopenr=701259999&Ref=AR&MaxW=468&NoBorder

The red carpet rolled out for Ryanair CEO Michael O'Leary coming to announce new Ryanair base in Rygge.:}
They say MOL will announce the first base in Central-Eastern Europe next week. One can find however at least three different versions where it would be located. Any hints?

jferreira20
25th Jan 2010, 07:37
pee, where did you heard those rumours?

Charlie Roy
25th Jan 2010, 08:36
They say MOL will announce the first base in Central-Eastern Europe next week.

According to this recent Polish news article it's between Krakow and Bratislava.
Jak skorzysta? na ekspansji Ryanaira (http://krakow.gazeta.pl/krakow/1,35798,7486875,Jak_skorzystac_na_ekspansji_Ryanaira.html)
Nieoficjalne doniesienia mówią, że w grze o pierwszą bazę w tzw. nowych krajach UE liczą się już tylko dwa miasta: Bratysława i Kraków

My money's on Krakow because of this article from a couple of months ago stating how Krakow was in line to receive 10 new routes including Madrid, Girona, Malaga, Charleroi and Hahn. So far only Malaga and Charleroi have been announced...
Ryanair uruchamia nowe po??czenia z Krakowa - Rzeczpospolita (http://www.rp.pl/artykul/9135,402644_Ryanair_uruchamia_nowe_polaczenia_z_Krakowa.html )

pee
25th Jan 2010, 09:25
pee, where did you heard those rumours?
Not quite from the source above mentioned, but you never know who is citing whom.

Beauvais is getting some routes as well.

racedo
25th Jan 2010, 22:44
BBC News - Ryanair charges fail to put off travellers (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8478543.stm)

Some good stuff but some very very sloppy journalism
examples include
FR to introduce MAD-Washington service with UAL
On course to sell more tickets than BA
etc

Seljuk22
26th Jan 2010, 12:39
2 more a/c for BGY with 3 new routes (RAK, WRO, POZ) starting in May - TRN-IBZ + TSF-IBZ also new.

scotsunflyer
26th Jan 2010, 20:45
Updated flights on Ryanair website, means Edinburgh requires 5 based aircraft for this Summer.
Has announcement been made of an additional aircraft or is it due?

tangarizie
26th Jan 2010, 21:28
Guys,

Quoted from a Portuguese forum:
"In the last few days I had the following flights with Ryanair: Bremen-Oslo Rygge and Oslo Torp-Bremen. The first flight had 11 pax, and the second 30. When I arrived in Bremen, about 45 minutes before the following flight to Oslo Rygge, there were only 3 pax waiting in the boarding gate."

How can Ryanair maintain this routes with this incredibly low load factor?

easyJet A321
26th Jan 2010, 21:38
Well what else would they do with all these planes? Hopefully it hasn't got that bad and that was just a really bad day for that flight!!

pee
27th Jan 2010, 06:53
True on some routes. It is in part, however, resulting from the deal-driven route planning. Routes are being created between the cities that want to financially participate in the development (this famous marketing support), not where pax would really like to fly. It's sometimes really tough to get people flying between two small cities while no connecting flights are being offered.

The other reason behind low LF's is the insane jealousy towards some competitors. In November I've expressed my opinion that FR has started an unnecessary war with Wizz Air. My dissatisfaction was not caused just by the fact that Wroclaw (not Tampere) got a mindless connection with Rygge just to hurt Wizz. By now, it just became obvious. As mentioned above:3 new routes from BGY (RAK, WRO, POZ)So, what is being created now? Here some examples:

Wizz Air routes versus FR new routesWroclaw routes
W6 WRO-Forli, FR (coming later) WRO-Bologna
W6 WRO-BGY, FR (just announced) WRO-BGY
W6 WRO-TRF, FR (coming later) WRO-RYG
Poznan routes
W6 WRO-BGY, FR (just announced) WRO-BGY
And so on, and so on. What do you expect on these routes? WizzAir already flies between WRO and RYG, loads are poor and prices low. What will happen when FR starts in a couple of months? Any common sense?

On the other hand...
Excuse me for giving examples from Finland, but that's the market I know. People pay Finnair 240 - 450 € for direct flights to Pisa, Rome, Venice (price examples for June 2010). FR wants some 2€ per pax to start any negotiations. With such a price level, would they really need any support? But no, they prefer to sell €9.99 flights elsewhere, waiting for incentives. Why?

stansdead
27th Jan 2010, 09:17
W6 will not win against FR. No-one ever does.

apaul
27th Jan 2010, 09:31
I would say the score is fairly even when Ryanair and Easyjet run up against each other.

frfly
27th Jan 2010, 11:09
EasyJet vs Ryanair is a tricky comparison, it all depends on the route and what the passenger is looking for. In terms of cost, Ryanair could beat easyJet hands down just because the two cost bases are now quite far apart, is it not something like €20 per passenger different now? This makes it difficult to easyJet to compete where passengers aren't looking for anything but price and timings etc. EasyJet will win market share over business routes, with better frequencies, over leisure routes where passengers with families are concerned about baggage restrictions and other similar service related factors.

On another note, the summer schedules look nearly complete. Edinburgh for example, is showing 5 aircraft based with a few gaps here and there now for summer 2010, yet still no announcement of this. Are there any more bases where this is the case? BHX, EMA etc?

pee
27th Jan 2010, 11:23
In the news right now:-The European Commission Wednesday said it has closed an investigation into a deal between low-cost airline Ryanair and the Bratislava airport operator.

The commission said the terms of deal, in which the airport operator agreed to cover some of Ryanair's costs, didn't give Ryanair an unfair advantage over its competitors.

Rival airlines in recent years have attacked Ryanair's agreements with airports, saying they violate European Union antitrust rules.

The commission, the EU's regulatory arm, said it has seven other ongoing investigations involving Ryanair. It said the decision to close the Bratislava airport investigation doesn't mean it will drop these other cases.
So... "to celebrate the excellent verdict of the European Commission we are proud to announce our first base in Central-Eastern Europe" ;).

No, no. I don't claim it will be Bratislava, in fact it could be... anything. But who knows?

:rolleyes:

MerchantVenturer
27th Jan 2010, 12:29
On another note, the summer schedules look nearly complete. Edinburgh for example, is showing 5 aircraft based with a few gaps here and there now for summer 2010, yet still no announcement of this. Are there any more bases where this is the case? BHX, EMA etc?

The summer 2010 FR timetable for the Bristol base has gone through at least four versions.

In November it showed a need for seven based aircraft on some days, though only five have been announced.

Since then routes have been dropped, added, moved to different times or different days or scheduled to be operated by non-based aircraft.

When I looked a few days ago Friday mornings still needed six based aircraft but there are other periods when gaps appear in the timetable.

No doubt further tinkering is to come.

The current timetable (or the one I looked at a few days ago anyway) indicates 121 weekly rotations, 24 of which from timings will be operated by non-based aircraft.

MUFC_fan
27th Jan 2010, 12:30

Tell that to Virgin Trains!

Spotter LBA
27th Jan 2010, 14:58
MerchantVenturer, a very similar thing happened with the timetable of Ryanair at LBA. Timings were changed several times and aircraft changed with based units and non based. We were first set to have two based units and then the timetable made it look like three but now it has changed again so that there are two based units and a lot of the flights are to be operated by non based units. I think a similar thing will happen at Bristol.

eu01
27th Jan 2010, 16:48
Timings were changed several times and aircraft changed with based units and non based.
Not only at LBA, much the same situation exists across the entire network. Unfortunately, it is constantly disrupting numerous travellers' plans. No matter how Ryanair disregard the significance of self-made connections, many passengers tend to take such a risk and plan their travel this way. Or used to. Clearly, it's no more reasonable. These changes are too frequent and unpredictable to bother. Ryanair will probably never introduce any official connecting flights, but now are harming themselves by discouraging the pax. Unsatisfactory load factors? Well, constantly reshuffling the schedules will not help.

airhumberside
27th Jan 2010, 16:57
They've done it before with Skvasta-Poland (Gdansk I think it was). Ok, just one example, but Wizz Air do appear, from what little we know about them financially, to have a low cost base

racedo
27th Jan 2010, 18:47
People should stop confusing the appearance of competition between FR and Wizzair to the actuality where they don't. A couple of small thinly served routes stops people complaining they don't compete.

h&s
27th Jan 2010, 22:15

easyJet at BSL

cyclops16
28th Jan 2010, 09:46
I have been reading comments on this as my Mother is a frequent RYR customer from AGP-LPL-AGP.But I have an avid aviation interest.

If these charges go ahead at some stage to charge for lavatory usage on short flights 1-1 1/2 hours and the addition of 6 extra seats would that mean basically having a fleet within a fleet? What I mean is that those aircraft based in what ever country that are within the proposed time limit are to be modified.But those aircraft on longer routes will stay as they are.As all the current aircraft are identical in layout,etc. This would create a fleet to be the RYR version of long haul (1 1/2 hours+) with extra lavatories and another for their version of short haul.(less than 1 1/2 hours)with less lavatories and extra seats. With them constantly changing bases and new routes this could become a logistics nightmare to have the right aircraft with the right set-up or is this a plan to introduce it to all of the fleet over time once passengers are familiar with the new system,so it doesn't become a 2 fleet operation. I admit I am unfamiliar with how many lavatories an aircraft is legally to have for longer flights,if there is such a requirement.

Mark

Jippie
28th Jan 2010, 13:57
Exactly, that's why I think it will never happen. It will raise the cost base.
As for the continuous re-timing of their flights.. It's very annoying while it doesn't do anything for the bottom line of Ryanair, does it?
It's not only that it ruins connecting flights. For example if I know I have to travel a route in the evening and Ryanair have a daily flight on that route? Do I dare to book them? It could be a morning flight a week later!:eek:

seasexsun
30th Jan 2010, 11:30
any news about ryanair at BCN main airport?

Callsign Kilo
30th Jan 2010, 13:09
It was over 6 months ago that an internal rumour (I work for FR) was spread that the plan was to put 10 aircraft into Barcelona. As always, the deal wasn't good enough with the stumbling block being route development funding. Plus with Barcelona posing itself as the airport of Cataluna, Spanair (who I am told like to consider itself as the airline of Cataluna) objected highly. Especially as they have scaled down their operation at Madrid and Ryanair have expanded theirs.

seasexsun
30th Jan 2010, 16:21
ok, but to update you a little bit, last month the local press said that Ryanair will come to BCN in March to do MAD-BCN and rumours about setting up a base their. They have requested slots for Ibiza, Palma, Beauvais, etc..

eu01
31st Jan 2010, 08:09
The proposal to base at least one FR aircraft in Malta has been on the table for some time. According to The Times of Malta (http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20100131/local/ryanair-to-have-base-in-malta), Ryanair is close to agreeing a long-term deal with the government to base one of its aircraft there.This aircraft is expected to operate on several new routes, including two in Spain and one in the Netherlands.

It is hoped the move will attract more visitors to Malta and sources said it was necessary because the trend among modern-day travellers was to go away more often but stay for fewer nights.

The sources said the government - not Ryanair - will have the final say on the routes serviced by the aircraft since it is keen to ensure that routes serviced by other carriers and tour operators are not adversely affected by this agreement. Ryanair agreed to this condition after initial opposition.Still no reliable hint on where will be located the first base in Central-Eastern Europe. So well guarded secret or the issue postponed again?

Stanstedeye
31st Jan 2010, 17:36
So there is some hope for STN who have lost all connections to that destination.

danielmellor
31st Jan 2010, 17:58
Whens The Next 1p Sale?

Wanna go another few Day Trips ;) :ok:

ara01jbb
31st Jan 2010, 20:17
Whens The Next 1p Sale?

Wanna go another few Day Trips http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gif http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

The last 'Free' (i.e. £0.01) sale on ryanair.com was 27 - 29 October. The last £1 sale was 17 - 19 November. This Google Docs spreadsheet (http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Aste06-Zgp-bdGFVX1RaaTNUQi1oTUxWakJkQ0FOWEE) has been keeping track of ryanair.com sales for about six months now. As you can see, there hasn't been a single aggressive firesale so far this year, and nothing for dates beyond March.

ryan2000
31st Jan 2010, 20:30
Maybe Ryanair felt that if people really want to like travel they would pay more than 1 cent.

Having said that the real 1 cent fares of the 2007 did get people flying. Might be a way of boosting the traffic as the economy in throughout europe begins to turn.

take-off
31st Jan 2010, 20:37
Yes, but how many people want to pay more than a penny to fly ryanair? Once their fares start to go up , then their customer service had better start to go up to match other companies, as is the case these days people mainly go by price, but if ryanair start getting high prices , people wont fly with them, people, pax , customers are fickle.

eu01
31st Jan 2010, 20:54
@danielmellor, ara01jbb & alike

It requires no comments, but it is very symptomatic. Many pax all too often are turning their back on FR. Some might not want to fly just to a few destinations selected for them in the point-to-point system, some are outraged by distasteful publicity stunts. Others, like some my predecessors, are loyal, but aren't ready to pay as little as 10-20 pounds for a flight, waiting for one-penny offers. They just were educated to do so - will they ever agree to pay much more?

These "uneducated", among them potential new customers, are discouraged by unwise "atomization" of final flight prices. I mean if the prices are cheap (and usually are) there is no point in hiding the final price. Personally, I'm much more satisfied getting some discount in the supermarket before paying my bills and really hate the unexpected extras tending to give back the product if the final price is higher.

davidjohnson6
31st Jan 2010, 21:18
With an economy picking up, presumably the fly for free / 1 euro / 1 pound will be increasingly limited to mid-week and routes to cold places in winter ?

It might be worthwhile pointing out that someone on the FR board (Cawley ?) publicly stated that FR expect to raise fares in 2010, particularly post April. SkyEurope, MyAir and Globespan all ceased flying in the last 12 months - that translates into increased pricing power for FR

The LCC market in Europe is in any case looking as if it might be transitioning from a mid-game phase to an end-game phase. AB, U2 and FR are the dominant players. 4U are owned by another big company, LH. Thomson / TUI are a major company as well. The remainder are all small to medium sized operators each in their own little niche (e.g. flyBE, Monarch, Norwegian and Wizz). It is possible that the 2nd and 3rd tier airlines are going to either consolidate (i.e. merge, acquire or be acquired) or struggle to retain current profit margins while the bigger players take the richer pickings. If for example, FR were to expand heavily at Bologna in 2011, it is possible that WindJet may have to reassess their strategy

befree
1st Feb 2010, 07:39
Ryanair have just reported the 3rd qtr results. They lost 11 million euros in the qtr which is a lot better than the year before when they got their fuel hedging badly wrong. Revenue was up just 1% even though they carried about 12% more passengers.

Next year they will see about a 15% rise in fuel costs and low teens rise in pax. If they cannot keep seat prices up they could become loss making for a year as a whole. They also seem to have sold only 3-4 planes in 2009. They plan is they sell 10 in 2010 which could be hard given how may airlines are going down.

boyzinblue
1st Feb 2010, 08:27
According to FR results presentation, 11 aircraft still need to be allocated to old and new bases in 2010.

Telstar
1st Feb 2010, 09:59
Ryanair to buy a stake in Brazilian airline Webjet? Hardly a strategic link up or a core business. Maybe a way to offload some of the old aircraft in the fleet?

Ryanair seeks stake in Brazilian airline - Irish, Business - Independent.ie (http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/ryanair-seeks-stake-in-brazilian-airline-2042114.html)

1sky
1st Feb 2010, 10:03
Any truth to the rumour about a press conference in Cork tomorrow with MOL himself?

Aisle2c
1st Feb 2010, 11:11
Local radio in Cork have been talking about it all morning, though naturally not much of it was complimentary !

Aisle2c
1st Feb 2010, 18:04
Ryanair narrowly beat Phillip Morris as 575th most ethical company (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0201/1224263502392.html)

ara01jbb
1st Feb 2010, 18:50
Ryanair narrowly beat Phillip Morris as 575th most ethical company (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0201/1224263502392.html)

... and Halliburton! :}

Cyrano
1st Feb 2010, 19:41
Ryanair to buy a stake in Brazilian airline Webjet? Hardly a strategic link up or a core business. Maybe a way to offload some of the old aircraft in the fleet?

Ryanair seeks stake in Brazilian airline - Irish, Business - Independent.ie (http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/ryanair-seeks-stake-in-brazilian-airline-2042114.html)

Or more likely a place to put some of the new deliveries more profitably. After all, if you think Webjet is going to need say 50 new aircraft over the next five years, isn't a modest equity stake a cheap price to pay for finding a home for some of your already aggressive order book?

racedo
1st Feb 2010, 21:41
Or more likely a place to put some of the new deliveries more profitably. After all, if you think Webjet is going to need say 50 new aircraft over the next five years, isn't a modest equity stake a cheap price to pay for finding a home for some of your already aggressive order book?

Actually its pretty easy to think about as short term leasing of aircraft in low season to an area in high season make good business sense..............isn't that how Tony Ryan originally started pre GPA.

ryan2000
1st Feb 2010, 22:14
Focus swithches to Cork tomorrow morning.

liffy2A
2nd Feb 2010, 00:40
Yes it does Raceco, but what happen GPA? South America all ready has a Ryanair model for a number of years.Its a very hard market there when your not a local, sounds like getting rid of 73 orders to me. A sign the european market is saturated? P.S. I heard Ryanair are to hand back there PSO route Dublin Kerry since its losing so much money operating it.Dublin -Cork, Dublin-Kerry PSO, High Court Case about the Dublin-Knock PSO awarded to Aer Arann, Thats alot of Money wasted in trying to kill off another carrier on one route in a long term agenda,now that its gone form 5 to 3 dailys on the Dublin-Cork. I doubt 2 is profitable mid week.

boyzinblue
2nd Feb 2010, 05:43
New routes from Bratislava to Bari, Palma and Luton. Does this mean the first Eastern European base?

Sikpupi
2nd Feb 2010, 06:44
"......P.S. I heard Ryanair are to hand back there PSO route Dublin Kerry since its losing so much money operating it...."

Where did you hear that?????

What about their base then as their base aircraft services the Dublin route. ??

racedo
2nd Feb 2010, 07:37
Yes it does Raceco, but what happen GPA? South America all ready has a Ryanair model for a number of years.Its a very hard market there when your not a local, sounds like getting rid of 73 orders to me.

FR will be parking aircraft in winter in the future hence a short term lease during South American summer earns money. FR not trying to run the airline as under Brazilian law they could only own 49%.

They not trying to emulate GPA just ensure that during a downtime they utilise aircraft.

Additionally no doubt the Brazialian airline may seek to emulate some of the success of FR hence an outlet for people on secondment. Remember Brazil in next decade has a couple of very big sporting events which will allow lots of opportunities.

LGWAlan
2nd Feb 2010, 12:56
Additional based a/c for June-Aug operating "summer sun" routes. From website:

News Release
7 summer sun routes from Cork at unbeatable prices

Don’t be screwed by Aer Lingus's high fares
Ryanair, the world’s favourite airline, today (2nd Feb) announced that it will open seven new summer sun routes, and temporarily base one additional aircraft at Cork for the 3 peak months of June, July and August, to offer Cork consumers competition, choice and much lower summer sun fares than Aer Lingus.

Ryanair’s seven summer sun routes from Cork to Alicante, Barcelona (Reus), Bordeaux, Faro, La Rochelle, Lanzarote and Malaga will deliver an additional 40,000 passengers through Cork airport in just three months. However, Ryanair highlighted that year round growth at Cork is not possible due to the Irish Govt’s €10 tourist tax and the high, and rising, charges imposed by the DAA Monopoly at Cork airport.

Ryanair’s new routes will allow many families in Munster to travel to the sun at low fares from Cork Airport and make up for much of the flights lost as a result of Budget Travel’s recent closure.

Sikpupi
2nd Feb 2010, 13:49
...and if Faro & Alicante are FULL from Cork on both Aer Lingus and Ryanair - then you could catch a Faro OR Alicante flight from Kerry!!!

Jeez..... that old saying about 'Buses' comes to mind ....none for ages then 3 come along. Now we have the same about flights to the Faro & Alicante.

Are all the people of Cork & Kerry planning to get away to the Sun this year.???? Who is going to run the place when they are all away?????

Sikky

bobsyerunlce
2nd Feb 2010, 13:56
and now Ryanair have announced a new route to Kaunas from Bristol. Press release on the BRS website states:

Ryanair has announced two new routes from Bristol to destinations in Poland and Lithuania.

The Bristol to Bydgoszcz service will commence 1 May 2010 and the Bristol to Kaunas connection starts on 3 May.

Fares on the new routes start from £26.99 one way inclusive of taxes and charges.

The new Bydgoszcz route will be Ryanair’s fifth Polish route from Bristol Airport while the brand-new Kaunas service is the first Lithuanian service from the airport.

Ryanair’s new routes will operate twice a week:

Bristol-Bydgoszcz: Wednesdays and Saturdays
Bristol-Kaunas: Mondays and Thursdays

pee
2nd Feb 2010, 14:00
The biggest shareholder in Aer Lingus aims at worsening the national carrier's already very poor profitability while operating their own flights with no profit at all, presumably. Brilliant!

Tom the Tenor
2nd Feb 2010, 16:05
Pee, what we badly need is a Cork to Tampere service. In so many ways there would be such a meeting of minds! It would be great fun!

james170969
2nd Feb 2010, 17:03
In the past when I booked with Easyjet to fly to Malaga I have entered my passport details online with the booking. However I have just booked a return flight from Prestwick to Malaga but I haven't been asked for my passport details, when do I have to provide Ryanair with them and how do I do this? I thought that the Spanish authorities had to have everyone's details before the flight left the UK.

WHBM
2nd Feb 2010, 17:08
"Ryanair, the world’s favourite airline"
I wonder how you can be "the world's favourite airline" and also The World's Most Despised Airline, all at the same time .....

racedo
2nd Feb 2010, 18:05
In the past when I booked with Easyjet to fly to Malaga I have entered my passport details online with the booking. However I have just booked a return flight from Prestwick to Malaga but I haven't been asked for my passport details, when do I have to provide Ryanair with them and how do I do this? I thought that the Spanish authorities had to have everyone's details before the flight left the UK.

Eh ?

You do this when you check in not book.

smith
2nd Feb 2010, 18:06
I have just booked a return flight from Prestwick to Malaga but I haven't been asked for my passport details, when do I have to provide Ryanair with them and how do I do this?

When you check in online!!!

ara01jbb
2nd Feb 2010, 18:37
You will provide them when you check-in online, but note that a few months ago Ryanair.com stopped printing these details on the boarding pass. So don't fret... :ok:

davidjohnson6
2nd Feb 2010, 19:18
As Ryanair no longer seem to print things like the passport number on a boarding card, what's the real purpose of asking for it at all ? Does FR run a check against an immigration database to confirm validity of details before issuing the boarding card ?

As long as the name and the nationality on the boarding card match the passport and the photo in the passport resembles the passenger, gate staff will let the person presenting the boarding card onto the plane.

Apart from traffic between the UK and Ireland, I've never seen immigration staff in the EU ask for the boarding card of an arriving passenger when the passenger holds an EU passport. Further, if a passenger wanted to 'lose' their boarding card in the hours between boarding a plane and arriving at immigration, it would not be hard to do so.

I'm just struggling to see the point of the insistence that passengers must supply their passport number to Ryanair...

Shanwickman
2nd Feb 2010, 19:27
All passengers flying to Spain from non Schengen countries are required to supply Advance Passenger Information. It has nothing to do with any individual airline.

eu01
2nd Feb 2010, 19:42
operating their own flights with no profit at all
Pee, you probably hinted "fly to Finland", but didn't write it this time;). Anyway, I've made an interesting observation and was stunned, have to admit it.

Mon, Jul 05
Flight FR2562 Depart Tampere (TMP) 11:55
Arrive Malaga (AGP) 15:30

Going Out (Web Fare)
1 Adult @ 159.99 EUR Taxes/Fees 20.48 EUR
1 x (Web Check in) 5.00 EUR Total Cost of Flight 185.47 EUR
Excluding Administration Fee (if applicable)Wow:eek:. WOW! With 1 piece of luggage one-way fare totaling over 200 euro while the departure day is still five months ahead. Well, that's something! I think I know what you mean.

MUFC_fan
2nd Feb 2010, 19:46
Ryanair seem to operate:

Within the next week or so: VERY expensive
1-3 months: Cheapest fares
>3 months: VERY expensive

Obviously it is not as black and white as this but they do seem to pick and choose their lowest fares as and when they choose.

This is completely opposite to U2 who seem to work very much to the original plan of first come first serve. I guess that is something businessmen/women as into...

racedo
2nd Feb 2010, 20:04
As Ryanair no longer seem to print things like the passport number on a boarding card, what's the real purpose of asking for it at all ? Does FR run a check against an immigration database to confirm validity of details before issuing the boarding card ?

As long as the name and the nationality on the boarding card match the passport and the photo in the passport resembles the passenger, gate staff will let the person presenting the boarding card onto the plane.

I'm just struggling to see the point of the insistence that passengers must supply their passport number to Ryanair...

Think its likely to be a legal requirement.

I reckon the non printing is down to someone pointing out that if you print it and someone loses or throws away the pass it then you have a valid passport number of someone that will be recognised by immigration as being valid.

smith
3rd Feb 2010, 09:33

For Spain it is a requirement for API (Advance Passenger Information), the rest I guess it is to stop people swapping tickets without paying for the name change eg a father and son John Smith Sr and Jr have a flat in Majorca, Jr is going but something comes up and can't go and says to dad do you want my ticket after he has already checked in. Mr Smith can't take it without paying the name change fee if his passport number is different and his son has already checked in. This is the reason they require passport ID for internal flights as well, to stop people buying tickets for a penny then selling them on.

pee
3rd Feb 2010, 12:21
(TMP to AGP) one-way fare totaling over 200 euro
I also believe the price will go down, but if anybody purchases these flights at this price right now, it tells much about the potential profitability of such a routes.

As an anecdote, Ryanair's Nordic chief Eric Elmsäter had promised to work for Finnair one day for free if there would be less than 500 flight tickets sold during the 24 hours after the TMP/AGP route announcement. Well, on that day FR sold some 490 tickets only and Elmsäter was ready to fulfill his promise, but as AY needed just baggage handlers then, I don't know if he went there.

Cork to Tampere serviceWell, could be an exciting route, but would it be profitable enough? :)

Seljuk22
3rd Feb 2010, 16:45
25 new routes across Europe
News : Ryanair Announces 25 New Routes (http://www.ryanair.com/en/news/ryanair-announces-25-new-routes)

Tom the Tenor
3rd Feb 2010, 19:51
The trick is for us to get Finnair to announce a twice weekly ERJ 170 flight from Tampere to Cork and his nibs would be in like a shot with a 737!!

For what it is worth a Cork Stockholm might well work for about two months in the summer. The SAS 737-600s would be just the job. After all, Transwede did Stockholm Cork for a summer or two. It would be great to get to Scandinavia from Cork. Oh, well, I concede that is dreaming. Oh, well, never mind.

IJM
4th Feb 2010, 05:41
I've just a look at the link (2 posts above) of the new Ryanair routes.

Is it just me, or is it really lazy of them to refer to new flights from Barcelona Gir and London Stan'.
Also, the good folks of Cork will be delighted that they will be able to fly to Barcelona (Reu).

Maybe I'm being picky, but I thought a major player like Ryanair could make a bit more of an effort with their press releases?

Monty Gordo
4th Feb 2010, 09:07
IJM - No you're not picky it is symptomatic of the dumbing down of the English language, not helped by the contraction of words by mobile users when texting.
But there may be a more sinister ploy at work here. Gir is not Barcelona it is Girona some 92kms to the south; Stansted is not London and is a similar distance from the capital. I am sure some travellers think they are actually going to the first named cities only to find they are many miles away, have no knowledge of transport arrangements and probably no idea of the cost either.
Be honest RYR: it is Girona and Stansted, not Barcelona and London :=

ryansf
4th Feb 2010, 09:47
Be honest RYR: it is Girona and Stansted, not Barcelona and London
Better tell Stansted then - BAA also seem to think it's called London Stansted!

Le Tirer
4th Feb 2010, 10:20
Gir is not Barcelona it is Girona some 92kms to the south; Stansted is not London and is a similar distance from the capital.

Why do the Ryanair bashers keep dragging this up every few weeks? Passengers are capable of looking at a map and Ryanair show the locations of all the airports they serve on their website so it is no secret how near or far they are from city centres. If you think it is too far away, fly to Barcelona Airport with a different airline but you'll probably have to pay more. It's your choice.

Unless I have got my map upside down, Girona Airport is north of Barcelona.

According to Multimap, Stansted Airport to Charing Cross is 62Km - since when has that been similar to 92Km?

LT

FR-
4th Feb 2010, 12:16
STN has a great contection to central london. I don't know why so many people come on here moaning about ryanair, just go else where, your not wanted on this forum. At end of the day ryanair has some 40 a/c based at STN in the summer, so it cant be doing that bad.

pamann
4th Feb 2010, 12:17
As others have pointed out...

Stansted = Essex
Luton = Bedfordshire
Gatwick = Surrey/Sussex
Heathrow = Middlesex

London City = WOW LONDON!!!!

Quick call the Lord Mayor of London! Something seriously went wrong there!

Someone quickly lay some 2000 odd metres of tarmac near Trafalgar Square! Better still just use the Strand! The BAA may like that idea seeing it's a recipe for a pre made airport (tarmac + shops + hotel = Airport for London)! Pure Genius!!! I'm in the wrong job obviously! :ugh::ugh::ugh:

pee
4th Feb 2010, 12:59
Essex, Sussex, Middlesex, Bedfordshire

No, I'm not an erotomaniac at all. It just looks a bit strange (from overseas) :rolleyes:

Sorry for off-topic.

Hollymead
4th Feb 2010, 13:22
If we are getting all traditional and saying Heathrow is Middlesex , then London City is Essex .

pamann
4th Feb 2010, 14:01
Erm yeah this is getting slightly off topic but... London City is Essex??? Think you'll find it's E16 which is Canning Town in London and part of the London borough of Newham. Trust me I lived there once.:ok:

Hollymead
4th Feb 2010, 14:31
As you lived there you will know Canning Town and Newham are originally Essex , as Heathrow was Middlesex . The 1965 boundary changes changed all that .

pamann
4th Feb 2010, 14:37
London City opened 1987 so it's true to say it is and always has been a true London Airport. I think it's fair to say people are refering to today...

Anyhow on with the RYANAIR thread I guess :ugh:

al446
4th Feb 2010, 16:35
FR -

I don't know why so many people come on here moaning about ryanair, just go else where, your not wanted on this forum.

Who made you a mod?

IJM
4th Feb 2010, 18:19
FR-

STN has a great contection to central london. I don't know why so many people come on here moaning about ryanair, just go else where, your not wanted on this forum. At end of the day ryanair has some 40 a/c based at STN in the summer, so it cant be doing that bad.

I've used the links STN to Central London many times, and bearing in mind the distance, I would say they are "OK" rather than "great". Other London Airports have faster rail links to Central London - eg. Gatwick and Heathrow - but its a matter of opinion, and largely depends on where your final destination is.

(and yes - I do know that the airport links use different London terminii, and the Heathrow Express is (I recall) a bit pricier than the other services)

Don't be so sensitive about people moaning about Ryanair, other airlines have also been getting it in the neck on this forum.

I have no intention of "going elsewhere", and only the mods will decide if I'm not wanted or not. If this forum was only populated by Ryanair fans, then it would be a lot duller in any case.

FR-
5th Feb 2010, 11:46
I just dont see the point on coming on here to moan about ryanair, its meant to be about ryanair news,routes. Not just somewhere for you to moan, i hate ryanair . . . . . .

eu01
8th Feb 2010, 15:47
Back to "FR routes" then.

The schedule changes and route cancellations continue. At the end of March the Alicante - Friedrichshafen route will be terminated. One month later also the STN-FDH connection will cease to exist and Friedrichshafen airport will be removed from Ryanair's destination list.

alm1
8th Feb 2010, 17:25
I have seen several times already flights disappearing from the sales system from some date in the future and then reappearing a few days later again (sometimes even in stages - one day you see April flights again, the next day May and later dates reappear). So you no longer can be sure wether some route is really terminating or just the schedule is being reshufled again.

MancRy
8th Feb 2010, 17:49
I'm no FR supporter but AA, BA, LY etc in the past have all called Stansted.....LONDON!

ConstantFlyer
8th Feb 2010, 18:07
When anyone brings up the "Ryanair-flies-to-airports-miles-from-anywhere" issue, I just mention Rome: Ciampino - 12km; Fiumicino - 30km.

eu01
8th Feb 2010, 18:11
flights disappearing (...) and then reappearing a few days later again (...) you no longer can be sure whether some route is really terminating or just the schedule is being reshuffled again.
Right, but FDH has already confirmed to the press the airport's disappearance from FR network (see one of the articles in German (http://www.suedkurier.de/region/bodenseekreis-oberschwaben/bodenseekreis/Ryanair-streicht-Fluege-ab-Friedrichshafen;art410936,4158114)).

Btw. alm1 - isn't MOL coming to Lithuania this week?

alm1
8th Feb 2010, 18:58
Btw. alm1 - isn't MOL coming to Lithuania this week?
Yes, tommorow morning we have a press conference with O'Leary and our minister of Transport attending. There is some speculation what will be announced. Possibilities are expansion or even a base at KUN and maybe flights to VNO or PLQ.

And later in the day we have an invitation for anyone interested to meet MOL at the airport terminal (11:00 local time at KUN if anyone interested) to discuss their future plans :)

eu01
8th Feb 2010, 19:22
I've heard some rumours about the quite unexpected decision concerning the long-awaited first Central-European base. MOL could astonish everybody tomorrow by announcing the base not in Krakow, not in Bratislava, not even in Riga. I think the location of this press conference is shedding some light on the issue.

pee
9th Feb 2010, 06:10
Well, it will be Lithuania. Kaunas will be the first FR base in CE Europe! Two planes and routes to Barcelona, Berlin, Dusseldorf Weeze, Edinburgh, London (Gatwick), Milan BGY, Oslo, Paris BVA, Tampere.

Congratulations!

anna_list
9th Feb 2010, 06:57
Hi,

Confirmation of Pee's posting above:
Kaunas taps pagrindiniu ?Ryanair? centru regione (papildyta) - Miestas - Kauno diena (http://kauno.diena.lt/naujienos/miestas/kaunas-taps-pagrindiniu-ryanair-centru-regione-papildyta-262536)

And more aircraft for EDI?
Ryanair again set to spread wings with new air routes - Scotsman.com Business (http://business.scotsman.com/scotland/Ryanair-again-set-to-spread.6053714.jp)

frelli
9th Feb 2010, 10:38
Ryanair new base at Kaunas (KUN), Lithuania. New 9 routes to BGY, BVA, EDI, GRO, LGW, NRN, RYG, SXF, TMP

Ryanair opens new routes to Hahn (HHN),Agadir (AGA),Pula (PUY),Kaunas (KUN),Bergamo (BGY),Paris (BVA),Edinburgh (EDI),Gerona (GRO),London (LGW),Dusseldorf (NRN),Rygge (RYG),Berlin-Schoenefeld (SXF),Tampere (TMP) and restarts routes to Hahn (HHN),Osij (http://www.theairdb.com/news/20100209120-ryanair.html)

Also, theairdb shows three new destinations out of Hahn. I guess they open them using the spare capacity they got from using aircraft based on Kaunas for old routes

RYR738_driver
9th Feb 2010, 10:50
anna_list, being a FO based in EDI eagerly waiting for more a/c, i wondered if you had an thoughts as to what these would be used on.

I know they are keeping the canaries routes so that will occupy one a/c, but can you see RYR finally competing with EZY on the Stansted or Luton routes. I realise that theres next to no chance to compete with the Gatwick route as there is just way too much competition, but when I was looking through the timetable noticed that some of the 3 a day dublins went down to 2 for the summer.
Also, again competing with EZY, it would be good to have a bergamo on the route network.
Can you see any of the spanish destinations going to daily?

thanks

boyzinblue
9th Feb 2010, 11:16
I hadn't realised that FR axed Weeze-Dublin. Did EI win that battle - Dusseldorf-Dublin?

anna_list
9th Feb 2010, 12:52
Hi RYR738_driver,

As it currently stands, it looks as though the summer timetable at EDI will require 5 aircraft.

Compared to last summer, out go: CCF (moved to PIK), LIG, ZAD, WRO, CAG, AOC and HAU (all of which ended last October and do not seem to be returning) and BOH too.

But in come: CRL, FMM, TRF, GDN, LPA, ACE, TFS, GRO, BOD and TMP. SNN continues 3x weekly too.

Here's some uninformed speculation from me:

If they add 6th aircraft, I would expect the usual mix of new routes and frequency increases on the strongest existing routes (maybe increasing MLA and some of the German routes?). I'm sure they will be keen to mop up any untapped demand to sun destinations resulting from the demise of Globespan.

They will need to pick new routes that don't damage existing routes from PIK (witness the cancellation of PIK to TRF, MRS, NRN, HHN, NYO, KRK), which makes me wonder whether they would risk EDI-BGY, although I agree that the route has potential. EDI-FAO might be worth a go in Summer, maybe Porto too. Venice TSF would surely be a good choice? Given the apparent success of the German routes (except AOC), they might try EDI-Karlsruhe FKB. As usual with Ryanair, you can be sure there will be a at least a couple of surprises - how about Morocco, Seville, La Rochelle or Sicily?

As for domestic flights, I think that once the economy starts growing again, Ryanair may be very tempted to attack routes such as EDI-STN and EDI-BRS. Perhaps EDI-EMA against a very weak bmiBaby would be the most obvious first target?

<End of my waffle, which will probably turn out to be completely and utterly wrong>

pee
9th Feb 2010, 13:15
As some Spanish (Catalonian) politicians assert, Ryanair will not fly to BCN (El Prat) this Summer.

The source cited: Mr. Manel Nadal, the Secretary of the Ministry of Transport and Public Works of the Generalitat of Catalonia

BFS101
9th Feb 2010, 14:59
You think Ryanair might try EDI - BHD??

At Belfast City they have yet to compete directly with FlyBE, although are very much competing with Easyjet and BmiBaby from BFS. Is the avoidance of direct competition with BE to do with their contract at BHD, or will we see this, come future expansion.

jpthomas72
9th Feb 2010, 16:39
Big news then. The new KUN routes are not yet bookable, frequencies are unclear. Having a massively shrunk FR base here at BHX, I wonder how many routes will survive within a year. A 189-seater between KUN and SXF. Interesting. To make money max 2x weekly. I believe TMP is a restart. One good news is that more FR cabin crew from LT can now live again in their home country. Hard to beat BT though on frequencies and choice from VNO esp via RIX. And then KUN is basically a separate metropolitan area from VNO (a bit comparable to MAN and BHX).

alm1
9th Feb 2010, 16:46
And then KUN is basically a separate metropolitan area from VNO (a bit comparable to MAN and BHX).You meant like MAN and LPL.

eu01
9th Feb 2010, 16:58
A 189-seater between KUN and SXF. Interesting. To make money max 2x weekly.
I believe TMP is a restart.
ad 1. Oh really? In my opinion it will be one of the best short-haul routes from KUN. It is scheduled to run 4x weekly and as such it will make money, believe me*.
ad 2. No, it is not._______________________________________________________
* in spite of relatively small number of Lithuanian gastarbeiters in Berlin

Charlie Roy
9th Feb 2010, 22:19
A 189-seater between KUN and SXF. Interesting.
Personally I find this a very obvious choice of route.

SNN continues 3x weekly too.
I am mildly (but not entirely) shocked that Ryanair have decided not to axe Shannon to Edinburgh and Shannon to Liverpool afterall.

(a bit comparable to MAN and BHX)
Indeed. GLA and EDI would be my personal UK equivalents.

apaul
10th Feb 2010, 10:11
I am not sure whether SXF to Kaunus will be sustainable. Easyjet has dropped Berlin to Tallinn and that is probably a more attractive short break destination. East Europeans going to live in Germany for a while tend to want to take a lot of luggage with them so will drive or get a cheap rail ticket. Germans taking a Summer holiday along the Baltic usually want to take their own car.

pee
10th Feb 2010, 11:46
Easyjet has dropped Berlin to Tallinn
Well, I used to travel with EZY from Tallinn to SXF on several occasions (Tallinn is just a couple of hours from Helsinki by ferry). Pretty good load factors every time. It's just that EZY more eagerly try to maximize returns and at a time didn't achieve fares good enough on this route. FR calculations allow for more patience, I guess.

Cheap rail ticket from Baltic countries to Germany? Pure abstraction. I've once tried to get through Baltic countries by rail. I'll not attempt to do it any more, believe me. Besides, the international rail tickets are pretty expensive in the region.

Apart for Lithuanians travelling to Berlin, I would also find several reasons for Germans to visit Lithuania, some pretty amazing historical sites there.

Carnethy
10th Feb 2010, 11:54
Anna_List, what about the chances of Ryanair experimenting with the likes of Dalaman, Paphos, etc which are routes formerly operated by Globespan. Do you think FR would dip their toe into these markets. Malta & Canaries have proved popular from EDI so why not the Eastern Med before someone else gets in there.

davidjohnson6
10th Feb 2010, 12:06
Edinburgh-Paphos would take about 30 mins more than Edinburgh-Canaries, which is itself already one of FR's longest routes
Am guessing that fares would have to be quite chunky for this kind of distance to be profitable to FR

Keyvon
10th Feb 2010, 12:18
An airline holding an Irish AOC cannot fly between UK and Turkey, not even on a charter basis.
Ryanair can provide direct air services to Turkish destinations ONLY from the Republic of Ireland.

So please stop asking about it everytime.

jferreira20
10th Feb 2010, 13:32
Ryanair Announces 3 New Edinburgh Routes to Faro, Marrakesh & Paris

2.5M RYANAIR PAX P.A. AT Edinburgh

Ryanair, the world’s favourite airline, announced today (10th Feb 10) that it will open 3 new routes (38 in total) from Edinburgh to Faro, Marrakesh and Paris from May 2010 which will grow Ryanair’s annual traffic at Edinburgh to 2.5m passengers, sustaining 2,500 local jobs (including 300 Ryanair pilots and cabin crew).

Ryanair will also increase frequencies from Edinburgh to Alicante, Barcelona, Dublin, Frankfurt, Malaga, Malta, Marseille, Munich West, Palma, Stockholm and Tenerife from May. Ryanair will base a sixth aircraft at Edinburgh from May.

Ryanair celebrated these 3 new Edinburgh routes by extending its 1 million £5 seat sale until midnight Thursday (11th Feb), for travel on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays in March. Ryanair’s new routes go on sale on www.ryanair.com (http://www.ryanair.com/) tomorrow.

Ryanair’s Stephen McNamara said:

“Ryanair is delighted to announce 3 new routes from Edinburgh to Faro, Marrakesh and Paris and increased frequencies on 11 existing routes to provide Scottish consumers/visitors with even more low fares to 38 exciting destinations from Edinburgh this summer. Ryanair’s 2.5m Edinburgh passengers will sustain 2,500 local jobs.

“To celebrate these new aircraft and routes Ryanair is extending its 1m £5 seat sale, for travel across Europe in March, until midnight Thursday. Since seats at these crazy low prices will be snapped up quickly, we urge passengers to book them immediately on www.ryanair.com”.

Charlie Roy
10th Feb 2010, 13:41
An airline holding an Irish AOC cannot fly between UK and Turkey, not even on a charter basis.
Ryanair can provide direct air services to Turkish destinations ONLY from the Republic of Ireland.

So please stop asking about it everytime.

Paphos is in Cyprus (Greek half), not Turkey...

Keyvon
10th Feb 2010, 13:48
I perfectly know where Paphos is.

I am talking about Dalaman.

Keyvon
10th Feb 2010, 13:52
FR is to launch a new French domestic connection : Beauvais-Pau. I guess it's going to be operated with the 6th based aircraft in EDI on a W-rotation.

On the other hand, Ryanair seems to have removed from sales various routes originating from its Sardinian base in Alghero.
Flights to Bari, Brescia, Beauvais, Bremen, Charleroi, Liverpool as well as Reus are all no longer available.

Jippie
10th Feb 2010, 15:30
From anna.aero:
"The science of route planning according to Ryanair’s COO Michael Cawley: “We don’t bother trying to analyse the living daylights out of a route, we have a look at the demographics, and then make a decision to do it – we accept that around 7-10% might not work but we don’t see this as failure – we see it as 90% success.”"

Interesting but not surprising!

apaul
10th Feb 2010, 15:46
The only thing that is surprising is the 7-10% figure. 50-60% might be a more realistic estimate.

Carnethy
10th Feb 2010, 16:02
Kevyon, lose the attitude buddy!!
I have only asked this question once, the reason I mentioned it was because I didn't know the answer. But thanks for informing me in such a :mad: delightful manner.
Would be interested to know more about the Turkish rule and the reason behind but don't want my head bitten off!
EDI - PFO twice a week is viable.

Tom the Tenor
10th Feb 2010, 16:06
All the more reason to allow Turkey to join the European Union! ;)

airhumberside
10th Feb 2010, 17:35
Would be interested to know more about the Turkish rule and the reason behind but don't want my head bitten off!
Flights between countries are traditionally ruled by air service treaties between the countries concerned. To allow an Irish airline to operate between the UK and Turkey would require an amendment to the UK/Turkey deal and the Ireland/Turkey deal. The Turks, and possibly the UK, may want something in return from the Irish. Each side wants the maximum possible benefit for itself, and traditionally each country wanted to protect it's national airline

A good example is the Canada and the UAE. The UAE wants more frequencies but the Canadians won't agree to amend the treaty since it is unlikely any Canadian carriers will want them - indeed it could take away business from Air Canada, at least that is the fear.

In recent years we now have a common aviation area in most of Europe (and Morocco) and open skies. Some countries at least are changing philosophy from trying to protect their own interests to the 'free market' philosophy. Interestingly Canada has an open skies deal with Europe, but in this case Canadian airlines are better positioned to take advantage of this

planenutter
10th Feb 2010, 17:43
Any chance of Ryanair producing for flights to poitiers, they currently fly from Edinburgh and Stansted any news??

Thanks planenutter