PDA

View Full Version : Auster aerobatic pilot

virgo
18th Oct 2009, 16:42
Can anyone remember the name of the display/test pilot who used to do amazing things with an Auster at Farnborough Air Shows in the 50s? (I think he had a Polish name ?)
Especially grateful if anyone's got any links to visuals - particularly movie - of Austers doing aerobatics. Thanks.
(A relative is building a 7ft scale model of an Auster and wants to try re-enacting the aerobatic displays that enthralled him as a lad - hope he's got a good insurance policy !!)

G-ASSV
18th Oct 2009, 16:53
I think it might have been a Wing Commander R Porteous.

PPRuNe Pop
18th Oct 2009, 17:34
It was indeed Ranald Porteus. A gentleman who was a true test pilot.

I had a 7' model of AOP 6 and I can tell you it's areos are 'easy' if you know what I mean - but you do need at least a 5cc engine - a Tiger is great.

PPP

BOAC
18th Oct 2009, 18:35
The 'Porteus loop' involved pulling into an incipient spin at the top of the loop (with suitable boot application) and recovering after 360 degrees rotation to complete the loop. It worked well in all the a/c I have tried it from Chipmunk through Jet Provost, Lightning and Harrier (a touch of nozzle used to make it 'interesting') and I even used to get a semi-presentable one out of a Cessna 152 Aerobat.

Never tried the L10, mind you, although I expect it would be the best.

Was he not Chief Test Pilot etc for Auster, Pop?

PPRuNe Pop
19th Oct 2009, 07:33
Yes he was, sir. Just finished reading Test Pilots again for Lord knows how many times and there are a couple of anecdotes of 'Ran' that are real peachy.

Was not that manouvre later named the Avalanche? It frightened the hell outa me first time I tried it in a Stampe.

BOAC
19th Oct 2009, 07:57
Was not that manoeuvre later named the Avalanche - could be. I just knew it as a Porteus loop. When 'finely' executed it was a delight, but I often called it something else occasionally ('under my breath') whilst adjusting my imaginary 'display line' by 90 degrees.:)

brakedwell
19th Oct 2009, 11:26
The Porteus Loop was in vogue when I was training on the Piston Provost. I think my success rate was about one in three. Good job the Provost recovered easily from inverted spins! :eek: :eek:

treadigraph
19th Oct 2009, 12:14
Virgo, the Polish pilot you are thinking of is probably Jan Zurakowski, famous for his displays at Farnborough in the Meteor and Canuck which included the "Catherine Wheel" with the aircraft cartwheeling through a full 540 degrees off a stall turn using asymmetric thrust.

Porteous Loop is indeed known as the avalanche these days. I like the story that, having perfected it away from Rearsby, Porteous demonstrated it to his manager who said "are you trying to tell me that was deliberate?"

India Four Two
19th Oct 2009, 12:28
When I joined UBAS in 1967, the Porteus Loop was regularly being executed but was subsequently banned. Was this a Chipmunk structural issue or was it more to do with the fatigue life?

PPRuNe Pop
19th Oct 2009, 12:37
Hi Treadders.

My first one in the Stampe had me screaming, 'which horizon is it?' They were everywhere! But once perfected it was a lazy affair that gave me, and passenger (if one was there) a great feeling of satisfaction.

Then later Bezak came over having escaped East Germany in his AN2 - with his Lomcevak - what a stunning manouvre that is!

I42,

Don't think it was a structral issue, at least not for Stampe's, which has done them for at least 35 years.

Never did one in the Chipmunk but I do know I have seen them many times.

virgo
19th Oct 2009, 14:31
Thanks for all the help chaps. Yes, I was confusing the sophisticated aerobatics of the Meteor and the Auster - I think they were both being performed at the same airshows, (middle fifties)
Having got a name, I managed to get some good stuff from the internet.........the deeper you go the more interesting it gets !

(Don't think I'll try either of them for real but I might see how the simulator copes with an "Avalanche")

BOAC
19th Oct 2009, 15:47
how the simulator copes - better make sure your chair is clear of vases and cats and the like:). HINT: The secret is when to centralise the pro-spin controls.

Having heaved the 'magic' Austers around a bit myself, I would hate to think what noises the fabric and rigging made for Ran in the manoeuvre. Don't think I would have bought a second-hand one from him.:)

brakedwell
19th Oct 2009, 16:32
Having heaved the 'magic' Austers around a bit myself, I would hate to think what noises the fabric and rigging made for Ran in the manoeuvre.

It took a mighty heave to initiate a rate one turn. :yuk:

BOAC
19th Oct 2009, 17:32
It took a mighty heave to initiate a rate one turn. - ah! Now you are talking aerobatics:). Great a/c though, no? Stall speed 29mph I recall.

I think Ran used an Aiglet for the aeros? I seem to recall it was sold to someone famous. (Brave person).

treadigraph
19th Oct 2009, 18:00
I remember a Harvard doing an avalanche at Biggin a few years ago - it did seem frighteningly ponderous as it rotated, but got round perfectly OK and completed the loop with height to spare.

Love those clips on Wind in the Wires of either Neil Williams or Manx Kelly getting a Stampe to tumble more or less out of straight and level flight.

I have a feeling that somebody bust a crankshaft lomcevaking a Stampe many years back?

barit1
19th Oct 2009, 18:01
Here in the colonies, Duane Cole used a modified 1938 Taylorcraft to do a fine show. The ship had clipped wings with close-spaced ribs, and a 85 or 90 HP Continental. He put a single seat on the centerline w/ stick control. I saw him fly at least a dozen times in the 50s-60s. Very smooth, fine precision show. (He later installed a 150 hp Lycoming). His ship is now in the EAA museum (http://www.airventuremuseum.org/collection/aircraft/Taylorcraft_Cole%20BF-50.asp#TopOfPage).

The Austers were descendants of the T-craft.

tinpis
19th Oct 2009, 20:07
Strangely, the Taylorcraft does not fly all that well as a large RC model (9 ft)

Chap by the name of Arundle was experten in the Harvard, and would do an Avalanche(snap approaching top of loop recover into loop) at VERY low level, only it was called an "Ozzle Twizzle" back then I'm sure.

BOAC
19th Oct 2009, 20:30
Google says Ran's Aiglet went to ..................................Jimmy Edwards! Bet that put the stall speed up a mph or three:)

D120A
19th Oct 2009, 21:24
Ran's Aiglet was G-AMMS and was indeed bought and operated by Jimmy Edwards, from his farm near Fletching in Sussex. The aircraft is still airworthy and flies from Eggesford in Devon where many Austers of a similar vintage continue to live happily.

There is a good picture of G-AMMS in its red livery via G-INFO.

Cornish Jack
20th Oct 2009, 18:04
Met Mr Porteous in a night club in Bangkok in the early 60s. He seemed genuinely surprised that he had been recognised. My meagre remaining brain cells seem to produce an image of the 'Porteous take-off' as being rather unusual!! ... large discrepancy between aircraft attitude and direction of flight!!:eek: