PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair threads (merged)

Ginger 1
16th Oct 2009, 23:29
Hi Guys,

Trying to make contact with anyone who is on the Jan 18th course in East Midlands. Give me a shout back.

EI-022
17th Oct 2009, 09:59
Any idea on the number of people in this batch at EMA?

Well done on passing selection Ginger 1!

earthwalker
17th Oct 2009, 12:51
Hi there!

Who else starts on 4-th of Jan in EMA for 6 days of intro and then in CAE (18-th of Jan) in Amsterdam?

jonnyboy102
17th Oct 2009, 15:06
Hi, is anyone else on this course? I think we're at OAA in sweden for the TR on 8th Feb.

Also does anyone have a rough idea of the total number of cadets that will be ready for the Spring next year. I estimated about 200.

Halfwayback
17th Oct 2009, 21:53
A collective thread for RYR type rating gossip

HWB

738fly
20th Oct 2009, 08:21
Hi all,

I am starting the TR at EMA 27th Nov then CAE 7th Dec, Thought it would be good to get in touch with others starting on these dates.

Please post if you are, or pm me.

Looking forward to it! :)

ps. Please no slagging about FR, I know what I am getting into, Thanks.

LAX
21st Oct 2009, 00:06
Awwwwh......what a let down:confused: When i heard the words RYANAIR and GOSSIP i thought this thread was about new cabin crew girlie's - down the bridge or monday nights in chicagos...............not necessarily in that order:)

73Heaven
21st Oct 2009, 01:00
Anyone starting intro week Dec 14th & TR at EMA on the 29th? Any advice about local accomadation for the tr would be much appreciated. Cheers

The Real Slim Shady
21st Oct 2009, 09:12
You could try these

http://www.coachhouse-hotel.co.uk/

East Midlands Airport Bed and Breakfast Cheap Hotel Guest House Accommodation (http://www.bedandbreakfasts.co.uk/propertysearch.asp?location=East+Midlands+Airport)

Always ask for the Ryanair rate.

Mikehotel152
21st Oct 2009, 09:54
...and get punched on the nose? :confused::}

IrishJetdriver
22nd Oct 2009, 20:29
check out travelodge.co.uk

The EMA hotel is at the service station as you leave the m1 for EMA. Less than 5 mins from the training centre by car.

I have nearly always stayed there. In fact I'm booked for 3 nights for £87 in mid nov, When I joined FR I stayed 6 nights for £92 ! The earlier you book, the cheaper it is.

douk2k
22nd Oct 2009, 21:30
Good evening people,

I am due to start Type rating soon. I would be grateful if anybody either whom have gone through the Ryanair Type rating process or anybody whom knows something, that can explain what needs to be done and sorted before starting the type rating. For example, accountants, licence conversion, etc.

Thanks

flyhighspeed300
22nd Oct 2009, 22:36
just got an offer of an interview with Ryanair at Stansted.
Its at the end of November.

I know the techincal interview is in 2 parts.
one about current aircraft types, e.g MEP & SEP questons.
whats the second part of questons they asked?

On the simulator assessment,
i know its a departure from XXXX airfield , climbs, decents at assigned the speed. then onto steep turns. then back to the NDB on an assigned bearing, with an engine fire on the way back. then into the "hold". then out for a procedural single engine ILS into RWY XXXXX

What are the airports are they likely to used in the simulator assessment?

I have not flown on a B373-800 to be used at stansted, should i do some sim work on the B737-800 before the interview?
I did my MCC on a B737-200 series, not glass cockpit!!! :confused:

One9iner
23rd Oct 2009, 05:30
Mods. Is there no way all these Ryanair based threads can be reduced down to 1 or 2.... Every other thread is "Starting at Ryanair, Interview with Ryanair, Ryanair Gossip, Ryanair Type Rating, Ryanair's over there? Ryanair cut short back and sides, Ryanair red bull air race"

:oh:

One9iner
23rd Oct 2009, 05:33
Why don't you search all of the other Ryanair related threads that already exist here? !!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::ugh::ugh:

TheBeak
23rd Oct 2009, 05:40
Come on, it's very unlike Ryanair and it employees (to be) to monopolise everything.

hollingworthp
23rd Oct 2009, 09:19
I haven't interviewed for FR but would expect some generic ATPL questions from any airline interview.

BigNumber
23rd Oct 2009, 09:44
I haven't interviewed for FR but would expect some generic ATPL questions from any airline interview. [/quote]

Possibly a couple of questions with regard to how 'Sir' would like to settle his bill?

pilotcop
23rd Oct 2009, 11:57
flyhighspeed300 - with regards the interview:

Basic ATPL theory, if you know your stuff and do a bit of revision, you should be ok, they're not trying to trip you up

when I interviewed, they spent a bit of time on my CV, just chatting about my background, experiences, etc - again, just be open and honest so they can see what kind of person you are.

Re the Sim check:

There will be vast differences between the 200 and 800, I did my MCC on the 737-400 and found the 800 to be alot quicker. You will have a full brieifing pack to prepare yourself, up to you if you feel the need to pay for more sim sessions!

You will be given the plates on the day for whichever procedure you will be flying, pretty irrelevant knowing them before hand, you have enough time to prepare! Other than that, there will most probably be some general handling, NDB tracking, etc. Don't do anything you wouldn't normally and remember CRM!! Good luck

hollingworthp
24th Oct 2009, 09:14
BigNumber - believe it or not - that is not true. I know of several guys who failed selection there. Granted it sounds as though they porked the sim, but there was a real technical focus on the interview questions. I think they were trying to probe your knowledge level so would keep asking harder and harder questions till they found a gap (but not trying to catch you out)

DME11.2
24th Oct 2009, 15:08
Is Ryanair still calling people for their selections??
I finished my training a month ago and I would like to apply. What is the best way to apply? Via CAE or SAA? Or Both?
My licence will arrive in about 2 weeks, is it advisable to apply already or wait untill I have all the documents..

How long does it normally take before you can expect a call?

Thanks..
Have a nice weekend!

DME

One9iner
25th Oct 2009, 13:13
:DTheBeak...........

TheBeak
25th Oct 2009, 13:20
:ugh: It's crazy.

irishpilot1990
25th Oct 2009, 17:59
i reckon the beak works for Ryanair!!! He is gaining them free advertising and interest....

would that be correct Beak?!:}

TheBeak
25th Oct 2009, 18:05
It could be Irish, the more resistance I offer, the stronger you push towards doing it.;)

irishpilot1990
25th Oct 2009, 18:11
Some people disagree with Ryanair...however they carried more passengers then any other airline in the first 6 months of this year and are one of the most successful airlines in the world...
Large airlines will generate many threads.
There is enough threads aimed at the Ryanair debate
When someone looks for information they shouldn't be abused
Or have to deal with people calling them parasites,:mad:, snots,:mad:, thick etc like Beak does on EVERY Ryanair thread. So ban him or ban this carry on.People ask honest questions and deserve honest answers..
The moderators do your job and do not consistent allow it.:=

irishpilot1990
25th Oct 2009, 18:15
i do not know mate but you sure as hell have created more free advertising for Michael O'Leary then anyone else on here!!!:ok:

TheBeak
25th Oct 2009, 18:35
Exactly, they deserve honest answers.

TheBeak
25th Oct 2009, 18:46
:eek: too their questions or to their questions?

Rapha_BA
25th Oct 2009, 18:47
Irishpilot you haven't noticed yet that the so called pilot "experts" here,like the "individual" you mentioned above,have a looooooooot of time in their hands(between their 2 day 6 sectors trips on their Flybe dash 8 on microsoft flight sim)so its fair that they spend some time(which could be used to help,and give constructive guidance to wannabes)but spend thrashing everyone else...Dude you're wasting your time,end of the day,they still think Ryannair is rubish,your ideas are rubish,you're fool for getting into the industry in times of recession and bla,bla...you know the rest:ok:

TheBeak
25th Oct 2009, 18:49
rubish or rubbish?

you're fool or you're a fool?

Rapha_BA
25th Oct 2009, 18:53
he just proved that he's a jack*****....dude,get a girlfriend,do some sports,a hobby,I couln't care less about the speling mister 'Oh so mature...'pathetic clown

irishpilot1990
25th Oct 2009, 18:57
You should have become an English teacher beak...least then some one might actually want to employ you...:zzz:

Go open up a thread...call it “Ryanair the good, the bad and the ugly”:rolleyes:
then people that want to listen to your opinions can read them.
Of course you’re to smart to have thought of that, oh wait that might mean you would have no outlet to abuse people or try to belittle them.:ouch:

That way were all happy you get to talk to yourself and the rest of us can share or seek answers to our questions...the reason this forum exists.:ok:

irishpilot1990
25th Oct 2009, 18:59
Beak want me to pull a quote from a post you made earlier "youd"
thats not a word...so if your going to talk the talk..be able to walk the walk:8

Oranguzee
25th Oct 2009, 19:00
Sorry The beak, reading through your posts I have to say I agree, you need a hobby or a girlfriend...you are not God; you seem to feel that you have the right to **** on everyone. Listen one day will come back to you, you might get to fly with one of these guys...you must be really sad, what happened in your life?(my spelling is crap too,at least I try lol)happy flying

TheBeak
25th Oct 2009, 19:03
No, no you'd is a word:

Main Entry: you'd
Pronunciation: \ˈyüd, ˈyu̇d, yəd\
Date: 1599
: you had : you would

you'd - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/you'd)

That way were all happy or that way we're all happy?

Yeah, now I am walking the walk.:cool:

hollingworthp
25th Oct 2009, 19:10
Love or loath MOL - it is undeniable that the man is a genius in gaining publicity and the old adage - or should that read addage (sic) - holds true.

eg. Paying for the toilet or standing pax, he is always guaranteed to gain headlines.

It would be awesome if Beak did turn out to be MOL himself - but I for one would probably eat the hat of anyone's choosing :ok:

irishpilot1990
25th Oct 2009, 19:11
Its not just your spelling that needs to move into this century!:)Love it or hate it Ryanairs the future!!:p bye!

Oranguzee
25th Oct 2009, 19:12
lol:D arrogant and extremely irritating.Try strippers,because girlfriends will be a problem.

TheBeak
25th Oct 2009, 19:14
I think MOL is a fantastic guy, he is innovative, original and an excellent businessman. He certainly has the midas touch and he has worked hard for what he has.

assymetricdrift
25th Oct 2009, 23:50
Ryanair is always a topic that will cause controversy and argument with anything that is to do with recruiting. It's a given fact, and they are incredibly controversial in the way that they do recruit.

That's not to say that it's a good or a bad thing. I think with everything there are positives and negatives... But I also think that important thing to remember is that Ryanair are almost the only airline recruiting right now, and if you're a low houred pilot, you don't really have much choice - you could wait for the industry to pick up and for the thousands of likewise houred guys to charge for the jobs, only to find the experienced pilots from other defunct airlines have taken them, or you can take out the loan and go about it that way.

Personally, I never really wanted to fly for Ryanair and was delighted when I was offered a job elsewhere a couple of years ago... And I'm almost one of the largest anti-Ryanair guys out there - but at the same time, if it's an option, it's an option.

Although I would warn all people going there about unpredictable earnings - I know several people who didn't get their first pay cheques for over half a year, and above all else with no effective base salary, your pay will very much depend on crewing levels at the base that you get allocated. And quite a fair bit of that would end up on B&Bs at bases away from home.

But as I said, at the moment, Ryanair are almost exclusively the only airline recruiting out there. And people can moan about it, but it's not the most productive course of action.

If you were a CPL/IR, right now, with loan payments pending and no sign of a job unless you went to Ryanair, would you go for it? I reckon that 95% of people would...

Cheers,
AD

flyhighspeed300
27th Oct 2009, 20:36
try a whole year in cold calling people, seling them thing to earn money. I only work there to keep up my renews for my CPL/IR ratings, otherwise i will running out of the door.

amazing as it sound i would work for ryainair any day, instead of doing my job at the moment!!!

TheBeak
27th Oct 2009, 20:48
Yeah absolutely, just the small hurdle of 33000 Euros.

flyhighspeed300
28th Oct 2009, 23:38
+ extras

I estimate it costs 40K, becuase of passes, unform, maybe any extra hours in your type rating. e.g an hour or two over run, which cost around £500-600!!

the extras keep adding up!!!

Cirrus_Clouds
2nd Nov 2009, 07:43
Been watching this for a while. Ryanair are failing to get a discount from both Boeing and Airbus for a deal of 200 new a/c, which may result in them cancelling these orders as well as all existing ones and therefore stopping growth, but on a positive note, they are making a nice profit at the moment. :ok:

Tread carefully all, should hear by end of year what will happen.

BBC NEWS | Business | Ryanair may halt 'rapid growth' (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8337232.stm)

BigNumber
2nd Nov 2009, 08:12
The good news is that, because of the unique business model, this will not stem the rapid recruitment.

EK4457
2nd Nov 2009, 09:39
Is this the business model of making money out of the assessment/TR/Base training/Line training process?

No matter what the situation at FR, expect assessment days to be full steam ahead.

If you just spunked 30k on an FR TR, I feel for you. I assume your finger nails will get significantly shorter over the next few months. :(

EK

Torque Tonight
2nd Nov 2009, 10:48
I wouldn't put too much credence in that BBC story. MOL likes to put out a headline grabber (+ve or -ve, all publicity is good publicity) every few weeks and this is typical of his hard-bargaining haggling technique. Put some pressure on Boeing to cut a few bucks off the bill!

Cirrus_Clouds
2nd Nov 2009, 11:18
A recruitment period will only continue until they have fulfilled their requirements; we can only assume this may continue for the moment with 100 a/c due over the next 4yrs (according to MOL). These new a/c are due for delivery in 2013-2016, so it shouldn't affect things for a while yet.

The BBC have only just picked up on this, as well as all the news reporters today, but it’s been going on for weeks. Boeing and Airbus have both stated the other week they we're not going to budge on this one as it would set president for other airlines wanting similar and what Ryanair is asking for is something they cannot do.... so as it stands, there is stalemate position, until someone decides the way forward. Yes there is pressure on the a/c manufacturers, but if the deal isn't good enough for them, they won't budge, I wouldn't, nor would you.

EK4457
2nd Nov 2009, 18:03
Too right. FR will trash whatever market they can and have no thought for the consequences.

Fair play to both manufacturers for sticking to their guns. About time this industry thought about the long term rather than shoot itself in the foot.

EK

Airbusfreak
3rd Nov 2009, 23:25
aimed at beak who on numerous occasions has said all the things he says are to the best of his opinion matter of fact.. heres a fact beak, buddy i trained with got tr contract and bill 2 days ago... 28,500 euro

"Yeah absolutely, just the small hurdle of 33000 Euros. "

i presume firstly you meant 33,000 Euro. secondly why are you adding 4,500 Euro on to the price? to fuel your bu:mad:t stories??

airbusfreak :ok:

TheBeak
4th Nov 2009, 07:35
Ahhhhh the old 'buddy had a......' line. No it's 33K Euros including VAT.

Airbusfreak
4th Nov 2009, 08:34
no its not i have an instructor and a guy i trained with both starting tr in feb.. both given the same price.. is there anybody else on here who can back this info up who is startin tr in sweeden soon

TheBeak
4th Nov 2009, 08:39
We are at cross purposes young lady, Sweden is cheaper than CAE. CAE will more likely get you an interview though from what I have heard. Funny that.

jimmyjetplane
4th Nov 2009, 15:49
I understood it to be 27500 euros plus vat (which is 19% in Netherlands).

I believe it is (or was), 28500 in Sweden ...but vat exempt?

Jimmy.

PPRuNeUser0165
7th Nov 2009, 10:55
Well it all depends on our ever changing economy! At the moment it will cost me £29,282.97
That in euros is 32,725
My training is in EMA, according to my accountants I am able to claim back my vat and so is a nice chunk off as it arrives within 6 weeks of paying!
No questions it is a lot of money however as I have said in a previous thread I have worked for this and the money is about there now, so let's not turn this into how I am selling my soul to the devil!
Although it pains me greatly yes you are about right beak! But so is airbusfreak as it all depends on where we do the TR!
Good luck to everyone,
Safe and happy landings everyone!

Wee Weasley Welshman
7th Nov 2009, 11:58
Claiming back the VAT. Hmmm. I see. That's gotta be dodgy.

Callsign Kilo
7th Nov 2009, 13:56
Perfectly normal procedure. Just a bit drawn out from those I know that have done it.

A VAT reclaim on training costs is permitted, you will need an accountant to arrange this and obvioulsy be already set up as a Ltd company with a registered VAT number. I am told evidence of trading in the particular business which you are reclaiming the VAT against must also be supplied. It all goes through a verification process involving yourself (your company), your accountant and the TRTO. CAE in the Netherlands actually supply the necessary forms and provide the relative contacts within the Revenue and Customs department in Holland.

franticleopard
7th Nov 2009, 16:05
Hello
I've been watching and am curious. You want to work for Ryanair and talk about doing the TR at different places like CAE and Sweden. Does that mean you have been for assessment with Ryanair and then expect to have another interview for a job? -In relation to you talking about being more likely to get an interview if you go with CAE. Or are you planning on paying for a TR at CAE/Sweden then applying for a Ryanair job after you've completed the TR?

Not criticizing at all, just don't fully understand.

Callsign Kilo
7th Nov 2009, 16:41
The assessment is with Ryanair at either the East Midlands or Stansted training centre. CAE in Amsterdam & Oxford (which was SAS) at Stockholm Arlanda are both TRTOs assigned by Ryanair (largely due to cost I may add) to conduct their TR courses. Funny enough, Ryanair has also started to conduct their own TRs at East Midlands! Wonder why, ehh?

What confuses the matter is that applying directly to Ryanair isn't the only route that the cadet can take. You can also apply direcly to CAE who forward your application to Ryanair. There is no promise that either route will get you an assessment, however with the fact that you may pay £260 for one will often lead to an invitation. The invitation will be from Ryanair and is subject to you passing the interview and sim assessment (and according to demand) you will be offered a course - in either Amsterdam, Stockholm or East Midlands. Ohh, and you don't get to choose where either!

Wee Weasley Welshman
7th Nov 2009, 17:51
Setting yourself up as a limited company and then working full time for one other company is something the UK taxman has been stamping on hard for quite a while now.

It'll be OK until they find out and care to stamp it out by issuing massive bills on pain of prison.

spudgunjon
7th Nov 2009, 18:13
Right or wrong I've no interest in getting involved or furnishing an opinion, however I would just ask whether or not the UK taxman's jurisdiction now extends to the Emerald Isle???

Please do the very clever people who find these 'loopholes' the courtesy of a bit of respect Weasley old chap, who knows they might even know more about this sort of thing than you!:eek:

Alex Whittingham
7th Nov 2009, 18:33
I don't think so WWW. In my experience the taxman is stamping down on people who set themselves up as self-employed and work for only one company. There's nothing wrong with a limited company doing work for only one company. They have been harassing people who employ their partners essentially to reduce their income tax bills, were you thinking of that?

Mikehotel152
7th Nov 2009, 21:50
WWW - Brookfield pilots pay tax in Ireland and are therefore obliged to conform to Irish Tax Laws, not those of the UK. Moreover, it is highly likely that for political and economic reasons the Irish Tax Authorities and Ryanair have arrived at a carefully thought-out and entirely legal arrangement to allow these Limited Liability Companies to supply pilots for Ryanair's operations.

DME11.2
11th Nov 2009, 20:55
@callsign kilo. You say: What confuses the matter is that applying directly to Ryanair isn't the only route that the cadet can take.

Is this possible for a cadet? Because the website says you can only apply via SAA or CAE. Hopefully applying directly to Ryanair opens an extra door, because the normal application seems to take a looong while before you can expect a call;-).

thanks

Wee Weasley Welshman
11th Nov 2009, 21:27
I'm aware we are talking Irish taxation.

I'm also aware the Irish taxman is under pressure. Possibly from both sides of this particular fence.

Alex - I was thinking of IR35 and paying yourself a dividend and paying employer NI but still saving overall over PAYE.

I'm no tax expert but every other airline seems to have fairly plain vanilla tax arrangements for pilots. What Brookfield boys do with their limited choice of accountants and what deals are done with the taxman in that scrupulously uncorrupt country are way beyond my understanding.

Its just another aspect which generates the distaste that so many pilots feel.

Halfwayback
12th Nov 2009, 07:34
In my experience the taxman is stamping down on people who set themselves up as self-employed and work for only one company. There's nothing wrong with a limited company doing work for only one company.

Alex, I'm with WWW on this one. I have run my own limited company within the aviation industry for the past 9 years and income from one client is viewed as improper. It is seen as the client evading the costs of employment and the limited company using company tax breaks (what few there are left) to avoid personal income tax. That is certainly the view of a learned Counsel and my company accountants.

HWB

zerotohero
12th Nov 2009, 17:25
Question on the new BRK contracts

Does not affect me as I am on an older one, but if your paying tax and NI in Iraland, what do you tell the UK tax people when they ask why your not paying in the UK and more but are continueing to live there and are based there too?

Allioth
21st Nov 2009, 09:37
Hello everyone, just got a call for an interview with Ryanair on the 18th of December in Stansted. Anyone else on that day???
Thanks
Allioth

DME11.2
21st Nov 2009, 10:27
Hey Allioth,
Great news for you! When and how did you apply?
Good luck .

alfapilot
22nd Nov 2009, 01:39
Hi, sorry to go off topic, but I am approaching the end of the CPL stage of my training, prior to returning to the UK to tackle the IR. Having already committed financial suicide once to fund the ATPL :mad: , I wondered what options were out there to fund Ryanair type ratings? Any info would be good!! Think now is a good time to start looking into things. Good luck everyone with any forthcoming selection programs!!

stefair
22nd Nov 2009, 11:35
You can secure a career loan of GBP8,000 tops through Barclay's Bank. A friend of mine said the other day that it has meanwhile been raised to 10k. I haven't checked on this myself so cannot confirm or disconfirm. BB will transfer the money straight to the training provider's bank account. Payments can vary and usually start two months after payout.

Alternatively, go get hired and have at least two pay checks paid into your bank account. Along with a clean credit history you should not have any problems with securing a loan. But beware, I would calculate with EUR40k as there are a lot of hidden costs. You might also be put on hold after your TR for a couple months or so and during that time will not generate any income but still need to eat, etc.

And lastly the safest way of doing it is to do it the old fashioned way and work your ass off for a year and save most of what you earn. :E

captain_quagmire
22nd Nov 2009, 16:09
Could any current "ryanairers" enlighten us as to the time it took them from finishing the TR to getting on the line?

thanks in advance

IrishJetdriver
22nd Nov 2009, 16:56
Varies. You have to get your licence issued with the TR before any training. With that you're in the hands of your licence issuer but they're usually pretty good.

There can be a bigish gap before starting the line training, possibly in excess of a month. In that case the company will put you back in the sim, at their expense, and let you do a few circuits.

Of course, it could all be very quick but I would expect a minimum of 2 weeks from TR issue.

You'll also be sent to a training base for the line training. This may or may not be in the UK and all costs associated with that are down to you. The company will provide free air travel for you as often as you want it. You just turn up at the gate with your ID (EMA landside pass issued in the first week at EMA) and jump on as a "Jump seater". Usually you just sit down the back like anyone else but it's known as jump seating.

Training bases I think include Stansted, Dublin, Bergamo, Hahn. There are others but I can't remember them at the moment.

stefair
22nd Nov 2009, 21:45
IJD, Interesting read. I think a further line training base is NRN. Spoke with a FO recently after a flight there and he said he had done his LT out of there.

So do I get this right, a new FO will get paid zero during LT? How long does LT usually take?

EK4457
23rd Nov 2009, 08:15
Stefair, I'm not anything to do with FR, but I know a few who are.

Allow 6 weeks for TR. Allow a week on that for base training. Allow 1 month for unexplained gap between TR and line training (can be 2 weeks, can be 6). Whilst on LT you do NOT get paid a penny untill safety pilot is released. This can vary widely, but allow 2 weeks.

That's 3 months of no pay. You then get paid a very basic rate untill LT is completed, usually another month (60 sectors?).

For me personally (mortgage, kid, wife etc) this time would cost me at least £3k with no/little income. Plus the living costs of EMA/CAE/OAA plus the costs of living away during LT, plus 33,000 eur for the TR, I'd need 40,000 eur in order to be confident I could afford the scheme.

Probably the true cost for most people is around this figure.

Or, after tax, you are working for free for 2 years.

I do stand to be corrected by those at the cliff face if the above figures are not quite right.

You pays your money and takes your choice......

EK

stefair
23rd Nov 2009, 10:10
Thank you, EK4457!

It's crazy.

ryanairpilot42
23rd Nov 2009, 11:27
OK!

Lets add some REAL knowlage to the post above

I personaly did base training 4days after my TR, but yes it can take longer, average been 2-3weeks

You get paid after safty pilot is relesed, took me 3 days or 10 sectors, without looking at my training file I think its minimum 8 sectors with safty pilot, I was safty pilot for a kid a couple of weeks ago and he was 18sectors which for him was 6 days flying so just inside 2weeks as he did 12 sectors first week and i was on his 2nd day of his 2nd roster.

then you get paid a lower rate of €35.5 per block hour, as your cheap and need to finish line training to be much use you fly pretty much max hours, so MATH BIT 90hours x 35.5 = €3195 not too bad, take off the first 12 sectors lets say for safty pilot thats still around €2500 more than my mate flying freight who is 3 years in the commpany!

I have been in the company for 2 years now and I have not worked for free! I have a type repayment yes for £475, my average top line this year is £4200 which is divided by 12 to cover the month not flying/earning

i trust that will add some reality to the previous posts.

D O Guerrero
23rd Nov 2009, 11:32
Well, not quite correct.
8 weeks is the usual time for the TR. On completion, I waited about 2 weeks to do my base training (which was much appreciated) and then another couple of weeks to start the supernumerary flights and line training. This would have been much quicker, but I had an admin problem with my IAA licence. A couple of weeks is about right for safety pilot release. I wouldn't say the pay was especially bad during line training. It is the usual FO rate of 55.5 Euro per hour minus 15 Euro per hour until the end of line training (and bizarrely until the end of the calendar month that you complete your line check).
Don't forget when estimating the costs of the TR - you should be able to reclaim the VAT when you establish yourself as a limited company. I did. Also the net costs are tax deductable. Just be sensible, budget for your expenses and stick to it.
Once you're on the line, it all makes sense and you'll make the costs back fairly quickly. Hope that helps...

ryanairpilot42
23rd Nov 2009, 11:46
allmost correct then, but i under paid you by €5 an hour, that can only be a good thing.

the pay hold until end of calander month is a bit of a con, admin excuse to save money i guess, but if you finish on the 28th its ok i guess, 1st would be a bit of a pain.

stefair
23rd Nov 2009, 11:56
OK, a little bit less crazy then! ;)

Fact remains a further 40k will have to be forked out initially - lotta dough!

Still, I can't help it but the more I hear directly from RYR folks the more I think it's a pretty good deal after all. It is indeed a highly performance based pay scheme they have in place but overall pilots make more than with most other European carriers. And the 5/4 roster with no overnights is awesome. At least in my eyes.

Just a couple more questions, from what stage can new joiners deadhead? On average, how long does it take to gain command?

ryanairpilot42
23rd Nov 2009, 13:42
You should get your ID end of the first week training in East Mids, from there you can dead head for company business (travel to where your flying/line training and get home)
or ask capt's nicely if you can sit in the flight deck jump seat to observe the operation for training.

command will depend on your hours now, 200hr cadet or previous experiance

command upgrade info states requirements as
2900TT
1500 Jar25
500 Ryanair Jar25 and a winter season

then been good enough :ok:

Mikehotel152
23rd Nov 2009, 17:56
Sorry, I'm being pedantic:

You should get your ID end of the first week training in East Mids, from there you can dead head for company business

Only if you actually get your ID by the time you leave EMA! If not, you have to go there in person at your own expense to collect it, which you won't have time to do until after your TR. You also need your uniform to use jumpseat travel, and it normally takes 4 weeks from the start of the TR to be delivered to your home address. Pain in the bum...:*

EK4457
23rd Nov 2009, 19:21
C'mon guys, gimmie a break :eek:

I was only a week or so out on my estimates - the general point being roughly 3 months of no pay and that most cadets will need access to 40,000 euros over this time.

I have been in the company for 2 years now and I have not worked for free!

Well, since it costs 40,000 euros to get to your position and you probably earn not much more than that after tax in the first 24 months then you have.

EK

TheBeak
23rd Nov 2009, 19:33
No no EK4457 don't you know, Ryanair pay-to-flyers earn enough to pay off their parents TR debt of 33000 Euros (not Euro) in 2 months. These big guns earn a minimum of 100K in the first year and it goes up exponentially from there......or so they tell their parents.:E

However I must say, Easyjet these days seem to be being even bigger :mad: to their pilots.

Let's face it, if you pass the 'selection', you'll find the money, so why worry?

captain_quagmire
23rd Nov 2009, 20:00
Somehow i had the feeling Beak was going to turn up very soon.

We've heard it all before mate and im sure im not the only one who finds you very boring. Your not wanted on this thread, so do the rightful thing and stop posting as your wasting your time.

TheBeak
23rd Nov 2009, 20:03
I thank you.:E Lighten up dick. My final sentence sums it up, so why discuss. You WILL apply to Ryanair on completion of training. If you are so 'lucky' to be called for selection you WILL pay for it and go. If you 'pass' the selection you WILL find the money and disregard all your senses and feelings to buy the job whether it involves dragging others further in to your mess or not.

Job done. Discussion over. Personal attacks ignored.:{

stefair
23rd Nov 2009, 21:57
TheBeak,

Despite of all the negativity you impose on RYR I really do think you are an intelligent person, who is correct in many of what you say, be it about RYR or the industry in general. However, you cannot dismiss the fact that a job with RYR does have a whole lot of benefits. You even said so yourself in one of your latest postings. I really do think only a fool would not want to see the benefits a flying job with RYR brings. That being said, I do not think they are perfect, far from it. But they definitely are one of the better companies out there.

I am very much hoping to be given the opportunity to join them, but will do this with my homework done thoroughly and eyes wiiide open. I will have 1/3 of the mentioned 40k in savings and the rest I am going to finance through a bank, but on my own. If it all goes tits up I will go down alone. But something is telling me, if you keep your head down and are hardworking you are going to be OK.

Call me crazy but I do prefer RYR over virtually any other operator (except the classics) as I find the 5/4 roster, prospect of fast command and base in Italy or Spain veeery appealing. Plus, they are incredibly cash rich and hence stable outfit and if they do not have one of their AC drop out of the sky tomorrow they will be around for a long time to come. I might be massively naive and foolish but I don't think any other company in Europe can offer you the lifestyle and career prospects they do.

I had better scrap the pilot stuff and join RYR's marketing team instead... :E

LAX
23rd Nov 2009, 23:29
Hi Beaky.

How you doin?

I actually think you are a pretty smart guy (or girl, sorry political correctness) and sincere at that. I wasn't a ryr cadet but I do work for them.

You know, i do agree this whole cost thing is gettin a little out of hand but its supply and demand right now. No, it aint worth going into debt.

There is a PUB frequented by RYR crew, thats in a TOWN near RYR's biggest base in the UK. Do the research its quite easy to find out its location...........it burnt down a few years ago.

Come down, look me up, meet some RYR pilots, we really aint a bad bunch and listen to what they have to say. And I'll buy you a pint:ok:

Good Luck!

ryanairpilot42
24th Nov 2009, 00:11
EK4457

FFS!

I have not paid 40,000 to fly for FR! so far I have made 18 payments of £475 towards my type rating repayment = £8550 and the type worked out to £21500ish when I did it, add £4000 for living while doing that and a contrbution towards reduced pay while line training and I have paid maybe £13k! a long long way off 40k, in that time I have earnt (not that its really your business £58k ish. and the average is increasing now on the higher rate.

SO NO I HAVE NOT WORKED FOR FREE!

stop been a prat and making up figures.

Rank_Ace
24th Nov 2009, 14:37
Hi all

Just trying to make contact with anyone starting there type rating on 15 feb in Ema / 1 march Ema

If you are send me a message

Thanks

stefair
25th Nov 2009, 21:00
And a further question. :}

I keep hearing rumors about Brookfield folks flying close to zero hours over the winter and hardly being able to make a living, if they don't live on savings made over the summer months? Any comments?

dand07
25th Nov 2009, 22:31
Anyone starting type rating in amsterdam 15th of march 2010? Pm me.

P1 Forever
26th Nov 2009, 14:08
Does ryanair have an upper age limit for the cadet entry with 250hrs?

It just seems like there's alot of young people early-mid 20's getting selected and was wondering if they have a limit or if anyone knows people who have been selected over the age of say 35..?

Thanks!

Wrightflyer1
26th Nov 2009, 14:57
Hi, I'm thinking of doing the Ryanair type rating in 2010... does anyone know what the starting salary for Ryanair would be if one was successful? Any info on any other carriers would be greatly appreciated. I'm aware on easyjet pay scales etc... thanks

Wee Weasley Welshman
26th Nov 2009, 17:28
Wannabe Zombie Army.

Unstoppable.

EK4457
26th Nov 2009, 18:46
starting salary for Ryanair

Oh how I chuckled.

They don't do salaries. How much they pay you is up to them and you have no control over it.

You get paid per scheduled block hour. You have no guarantee of how many you'll get.

For more info trawl the whole of this thread.

And don't skip WWW's comments.

EK

cjd_a320
26th Nov 2009, 18:58
starting salary for Ryanair

Sleeping bag and car spring to mind........

TheBeak
26th Nov 2009, 20:59
Lax and Stefair, thanks.

IRJohnston, I like the laissez faire approach you have to the whole process. You keep on thinking about it. Have a wet dream if you like. Then consider the money, the selection and your future.

Let me put it in Laymans terms for you, if they needed you, they'd pay for you. They aren't paying for you so guess what? They are taking the :mad: out of you.

stefair
27th Nov 2009, 12:18
db, Are the numbers stated before or after taxes? And is this just the summer months or on average per month over a year? In other words, if it's after taxes and on average it is a great salary indeed. If it is before and average it would probably leave him with nearly 3k a month, which is great too. But if it's true that Brookfield people fly very very little over the winter months and the numbers stated are before taxes it is not that great at all and paying off your debts becomes rather impractical. Could some people please enlighten us RYR wannabes since this would be critical to know. Thank you.

I recall Beak saying on a couple occasions that he would be more than willing to fly for RYR but cannot apply as he is already type rated on the 737.

Wrightflyer1
27th Nov 2009, 12:47
dickie byrne, thanks for the positive reply... I'll be thankful to get working for any of the carriers with current financial crisis. are you currently working?

TheBeak
28th Nov 2009, 19:13
Yes you are working as a pilot or yes you are working? It doesn't really matter, either way, you are entitled to your opinion.

This made me happy - Ryanair named the worst family brand:

Ryanair named worst 'family brand' - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/6641220/Ryanair-named-worst-family-brand.html)

ryanairpilot42
28th Nov 2009, 19:25
TheBeak

The worst family brand! WTF?

who gives a toss about that,, we are not in marrage counciling!
we do not promote family values? errmm ok,,, I dont see it in the glare shied check list?

FMC/CDU.......SET
STROBES.......ON
FLAPS...........SELECTED
FAMILYS HUGGING........WHO CARES?

I fail to see the relevence of that list to any airline.

you really are clutching at straws there pal.

Wrightflyer1
28th Nov 2009, 21:00
why is the beak so aggressive? what did ryanair do to him? I think ryanair gets unfair publicity. i suppose beak works for an airline that gives the cheapest prices, the cabins are a spacious & luxurious, they treat their pilots like royalty, and the passengers burst into floods of tears because they are so happy with the service...

Ryanairpilot?, did you do your type rating with ryanair on one of their recommended courses? How do you find them as an employer?

Mucky Devil
28th Nov 2009, 21:07
Cannot belive there is so much abuse towards guys wanting to spend money on a type rating and join Ryanair.
IF you are successful in getting through the selection process and you get an offer, it is a real job, and not a summer job like elsewhere.
Once past the Line Check stage, the money is reasonable as most fly loads of hours. I have asked loads of F/Os what their pay is and it is more than enough to live on, pay rent, eat, lease a car etc.
Let me know where else you can be a captain at 24 and taking home £5000+ a month and i will eat my sandwich.
Incidently, having recently been down at EMT, they are hiring 400 cadets next year and that doesn't include those needed if our boss buys more from Boeing than already on order.
The sim and line training is second to none and I've trained at other airlines and say that with confidence. I fly with the products of our system and they do a great job. You also have a choice of 38 bases to choose from, new one announced only 4 days ago.
If you are prepared to take on the risk of getting an ATPL i don't see that the type rating decision is so hard to make. No one will offer you one for free, no matter how much you moan about it being unfair.
Good luck to those who decide it is for them, hope to fly with you on the line.;)

fanrailuk
30th Nov 2009, 09:44
Does anyone have any experience of Ryanair recruitment and/or being sent to random bases? I've an interview for cabin crew in London but am a little concerned with their extremely random bases where they could place me!

Please message me.

PPhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gif

spanner the cat
30th Nov 2009, 23:16
You lot really don't get it do you?

When your time comes - you have experience on the 737 and more - you are looking for work through no choice of your own, and you come across a thread like this. You really don't see how your scramble into the RHS of a shiny 737 affects the industry you work in.

You probably think it's great that you are being offered the opportunity for a leg up having just finished flight training - but just think how galling it is to experienced 737 F/Os out there that they don't get a look in because RYR aren't going to be able to make a profit out of training them. You are subsidising your company guys. You reap what you sow.

You will get it one day, but by then there'll be another batch of new guys out there for the unscrupulous to feed on.

Mucky Devil
It would be nice for experienced guys to get a look in too as DE F/Os. With loads of new planes and trainees some experience would probably be mutually beneficial.

Spanner

cruisepilot
26th Jan 2010, 18:55
Does anybody have information regarding selection at Stansted?

Is their a need to focus on certain ATPL questions?

Hints about the simcheck?

Advice (or links to advice) are welcome :)

Thanks in advance