PDA

View Full Version : Union Membership

Crewing Gimp
16th Oct 2009, 08:46
Hi Guys

Could anyone point me in the right direction of a good airline (ops/crewing) union?

If possible inc good and bad points and any experiences?

Cheers

The Gimp:ok:

Little Blue
16th Oct 2009, 10:18
GMB, UNITE, AMICUS...
I was in GMB whilst in my previous job. Had been paying a tenner a month for years, often wondering why I was doing it...now I know why.
Had a problem with personnel and without the union, I'd probably have been screwed over.
The union rep knew the system inside out and as such, got me out of, potentially, a very very sticky situation.
Ok, not all reps will be as good as the chap I had, but in the world of crewing/ops, it's always best to have that back-up. One day, you may need it.

call100
18th Oct 2009, 19:50
Amicus is now Unite....Represents a large section of the aviation industry....
Here is a link to the Civil Air Transport section....Civil air transport (http://www.unitetheunion.com/sectors/civil_air_transport.aspx)
They should be able to put you in touch with your nearest rep/office.

5552N0426W
21st Oct 2009, 14:35
Go for GMB. They've been dealing with aviation for a while and some of their reps are better than others but a worthwhile investment of around £10/month. You really never know when you'll need them as employers are looking to cut costs and staff in the future. Most recognise them and have an amicable relationship but the others!!! Try and get all staff signed up and that will give you a better bargaining position.

:ok:

call100
22nd Oct 2009, 14:51
The advice on which Union to join is pointless unless you have no Union at your place of work. For example it is no use joining GMB if Amicus is the TU recognised at your company and vice-versa.
If no TU recognition exists at your Company, you should join the TU of choice and recruit enough members to hold a recognition ballot.
Good luck whichever Union/path you take. Being in a TU is far more important than the particular Union you choose....:ok: