View Full Version : What is Flight Duty Pay

CDNATPL
15th Oct 2009, 20:01
Could someone please explain what Flight Duty Pay is? This isn't something that is used in Canada and I see it in many UK job ads.

Also, what are some examples of FDP at regional type carriers like Flybe?

Thanks in advance,

CDNATPL

TheKabaka
15th Oct 2009, 21:17
It varies from company to company but essentially it is an element of pay based on you being at work in addition to basic salary. It can be a flat rate per sector or an hourly rate. Could be based on duty time or flight time.

hope that helps a bit

Knee Trembler
16th Oct 2009, 07:28
In the UK, FDP typically means £200 - £500 pre tax per month. In the past, duty pay was taxed much lower than normal pay.

In mainland Europe, similar systems apply, but tend to be calculated differently (based on country and nights away, rather than a simple rate per hour).

KT

CDNATPL
16th Oct 2009, 11:05
Thanks so much guys!

Old King Coal
17th Oct 2009, 16:02
At FlyDubai (http://www.flydubai.com/workwithus/pilots.aspx) Captains get 150 Dhs ($40.87 USD) & FO's get 100 Dhs ($27.25 USD) per 'Block Hour' (where 'Block Hour' means the elapsed time between the aircrafts 'off-blocks' and its 'on-blocks' time). The relevant amounts are then totalled-up and added to the following months salary & allowances payment.

Given that the maximum 'Flight Duty Period' (FDP) limit is 100 FDP hours every 28 days, and that our present ratio of FDP to BlockHours is about 1.3 : 1, we can probably do a max of, say, 80 'block hours' per month.... therein do the math as to what that's worth for each rank. (it's tax free here btw :ok:)

JW411
17th Oct 2009, 16:37
CDNATPL:

You might be more familiar with the expression "per diem".

kishna
17th Oct 2009, 17:12
Per diems generally are a daily rate though, as opposed to flight duty pay which is paid hourly or by sector

JW411
17th Oct 2009, 17:59
Per Diem simply means (in Latin) by the day. However, I have worked for a couple of companies who used the expression in place of "flight pay" or even "duty allowance".

CDNATPL
18th Oct 2009, 14:43
Thanks again for the info guys,

I am familiar with per diems but where I work we only get per diems when we do overnights (we get fed on single day pairings).

I thought FDP was pretty much the same but wanted to make sure.

Thanks again,
CDNATPL