PDA

View Full Version : Travel Documentation

noodnik
14th Oct 2009, 07:43
For anyone who may have visa queries

http://www.tdoc-icts.com/

raffele
14th Oct 2009, 09:08
IATA also have an excellent website with information on passport and visa requirements, health regulations as well as customs and airport information

IATA - Personalised Passport, Visa & Health travel documentation advice (http://www.iatatravelcentre.com/)

noodnik
14th Oct 2009, 14:25
I had a look but you have to fill out too much personal information before you get any results. The other one's a lot simpler to use especially if you're as thick as me.:)

raffele
14th Oct 2009, 14:39
I wouldn't agree. The only 'personal' information you need to plug in is everything you find on your passport - its expiry date, where you were born, where it was issued and where you are resident (its only a couple more bits than you need to put into the other site) - and as a result you get a very accurate and detailed summary of what you need visa/passport wise.

Whilst the site you found is good as a summary, when travelling internationally you can never be too safe when checking document requirements and aside from the individual governments, who better to provide that information than IATA?

noodnik
14th Oct 2009, 18:15
Goodness me I wonder who you work for? Sounded like a bit of an advert there. :ok:

raffele
14th Oct 2009, 19:10
I don't work for IATA - just a lowly pax. I'm just expressing my opinion based on my past usage of that site

noodnik
15th Oct 2009, 19:51
Okay then the t-doc one's free and it has an open forum where you can request advice from fellow lowly pax or whoever administrates the site.
Me also being lowly can't afford the $25 or whatever they're asking
Cheap and cheerful can't beat it.

raffele
15th Oct 2009, 21:33
The IATA Travel Centre is free to use... You just select your destination from the menu top left and click the Passport, visa and heath advice button and then you're on the next page, asking for a few more details before giving you the information.

noodnik
16th Oct 2009, 06:49
I'm a total plank and the t-doc one's easier to use.:ugh:
I would appreciate anyone elses advice on which is the easier to use, gives reliable information and the cheapest.

ExXB
16th Oct 2009, 10:12
I'd say it depends on what you need. The IATA site is free, unless you don't want to reenter your passport details each and every time. You can pay $25 and avoid this.

I do know that IATA's data source is the same source used by the TIM and TIMatic (used by most airlines and GDSs). I don't know where the other site gets their info.

Gibon2
16th Oct 2009, 12:31
Well, I just tested them both out, with a real-life scenario. I'm an Australian passport holder, resident in Switzerland. I'm travelling to Saudi Arabia on business next week.

The IATA site asks for more details, so takes a bit longer. The TDOC site is simple and quick - but in this case gives the wrong answer, as it fails to take into account the fact that I am resident in a country other than that of my nationality. This may affect visa requirements for the destination country, and certainly affects visa requirements for the return trip.

Both sites correctly tell me I need a visa for Saudi Arabia (so 1 point each). TDOC incorrectly tells me I also need a visa to return to Switzerland if I intend to stay more than 3 months. IATA has already asked me if I have a residence permit, so knows I don't need a visa for re-entry (1 point).

So I think the TDOC site is handy and quick for those in straightforward circumstances - but then those in straightforward circumstances are less likely to need advice in the first place. If there's anything remotely complicated in the situation, I would go for the IATA site.

FlyingScientist
16th Oct 2009, 17:50
A case that seems not to be catered for is being resident in more than one country (which is possible).

IESJAS1
19th Oct 2009, 11:08
*****Many thanks for the comments regarding the ICTS T-DOC site, we have taken these comments on board and will update the site accordingly. We will inform you once these fixes have been implemented and would then appreciate your comments.******

noodnik
19th Oct 2009, 11:20
Hoorah :D:D

L'aviateur
20th Oct 2009, 00:07
erm..... mines bigger then yours??

noodnik
20th Oct 2009, 07:51
votre bouche L'Aviateur

ExXB
20th Oct 2009, 19:23
Does anyone know where T-DOC gets their data from?

As I mention above IATA uses the same data as that used for the TIM/TIMatic (IATA is now the publisher of these as well). Meaning that a punter should get the same answer as the check-in agent behind the counter.

I'm guessing that IATA's (or TIM's) data source is their 250-odd member airlines.

noodnik
21st Oct 2009, 07:20
ExXB you could ask on the Travelwise forum they have on the TDoc site or maybe IESJAS1 will answer you as he seems to work for them.

IESJAS1
21st Oct 2009, 09:49
We receive our information from a number of sources including Government departments, Embassies, Law enforcement Authorities, our Airline customers and our extensive airport operational staff.

I would also like to highlight a function we have on T-Doc.

If you find that T-DOC gives you an alert to insufficient documentation,the site will then give you a link to the correct countries website to guide you in the right direction to solving your documentation problem.

ExXB
21st Oct 2009, 16:45
Thanks for the information.

bealine
22nd Oct 2009, 08:13
In these days of costly litigation, it should be remembered that the responsibility for having correct documentation lies solely with the traveller. Governments around the world may change entry requirements without prior warning (as in the case when Libya required Arabic Translations of passport and visa information, with immediate effect, after one flight for Tripoli had already departed!)

Any website can only be regarded as a very useful guide and cannot be held responsible for sudden changes.

angels
22nd Oct 2009, 10:39
bealine makes a good point, the goalposts can be changed at any time. When it comes to jobsworths you are the one that will be inconvenienced, not them.

I was once stranded with my then 18 month old son in the no man's land between China and Macau once due to a visa spat between China and the UK!!