PDA

View Full Version : AAC.........My taxes !!!

Cloud 9 Here I come
15th Feb 2002, 00:05
I was amazed to hear from a friend today that the Army Air Corps is actively getting rid of trained pilots whilst dishing retention money out to those who need it least on the back of an Air Force solution ?... is this true ? if so i think my local MP (Mr Blair) should provide me with an immediate answer as to what is going on.

I believe that this is all something to do with the pilots in question not wearing the same badge as the Army Air Corps......are they foreigners ? why was hundreds of thousands of pounds spent on them in the first place ? Do the RAF, Navy and Marines train pilots from other branches / trades then send them back after one flying tour ? surely they are just becoming useful or would that be too obvious ?. I have looked through the PPrune archives and have failed to notice anything on the subject so it has to be a joke..can any one confirm or deny ?

How Low...?
15th Feb 2002, 00:41
Old proverb.....

Fortune favours the wise..

and I'm sure Mr Blair has heard it all before.

you can't be all things to all men.

Muff Coupling
15th Feb 2002, 00:47
Cloud Nine,

I would not get carried away on this thread..besides which El Presidente, is highly unlikely to know that the Army has pilots in the first place!

I think you will find we are talking "manning expedient" here. All three services cull pilots..you will have noticed big civil types doing the same.

Bear in mind the AAC is downsizing to meet its reduced fleet. I understand from a mucker in the org..they lose 100 odd Gazelle and 40 odd Lynx for only 48 Apache and 70 odd BLUH, (I know we brought 67..but only 48 wil be in front line service). That is a hefty downturn in any terms and many will be disappointed, some might not even get on a flying course! The RAF did the same a few years back, when Navs were "promised " FJ crossover pilot trg...then Sorry, services no longer required, the goal posts have moved...stag on as Navs.

Apparently guys & gals from other arms are fuly aware that they might only get a single flying tour and the numbers are small. The game is to send them back to whence they came with "experience of combat aviation" and spread the word as they eventually become CDS!You will have noticed many large bellied and deep voiced, chinless wonders, with a set of wings on MOD briefings.

Your tax dollars are safely in the hands of those who are probably mainstream AAC types, who are going to stay the distance. Yes, the RAF and the Navy also spend loads of dosh training pilots and then, just when they are "worth thier salt"..put them through Staff courses and tie them to desks. You will probably find it is those types who get the full monty FRI!!

Cause and effect..if all pilots that were trained and stayed flying for whole career (24ish to 55)..what would we do with all the QFIs and the very large and expensive DFTS!!

I take your point though..doesnt seem fair or cost effective..but hey.. neither does the £ gobbler called EFA!!

fone_effect
15th Feb 2002, 05:08
What is a real sin in all of this, is that the training takes so long now, lack of aircraft etc, when the other arms get to AAC regiments some only have an 18 month flying tour before going back to where they came from. "What a waste," As Mr Drury would have said.

Jeep
15th Feb 2002, 14:00
Perhaps the JHC could divert the outgoing pilots onto an RAF/Navy conversion course and that way, military PLC doesn't lose a valuable bum on seat. Might cure the retention problem.

Fortyodd
15th Feb 2002, 16:54
Jeep,. .Stop it right there! Any more common sense ideas like that one and you'll end up being barred from posting replies on this site!!!

. .Whilst all possible care has been taken, this product may contain traces of nuts.