PDA

View Full Version : California to Oz

hawker750
13th Oct 2009, 17:02
Looking to move our Hawker 700 from California to Australia in a couple of weeks. It just does not have the safe range to make Hawaii unless there are freak winds. Looking at Vancouver/Cold Bay/Midway Island. Been most places in the world but not Cold Bay or Midway. Any sensible hints and tips would be appreciated. Also any useable airport West of Cold Bay in the Alaska chain?

dc9-32
13th Oct 2009, 19:42
You have a PM. Thanks

NuName
14th Oct 2009, 09:41
Cold Bay no problem, done a fuel stop, user friendly, Anchorage very helpful.

erikv
14th Oct 2009, 22:55
Adak (PADK) is fine; it's about 500NM west of Cold Bay. Alaska Airlines operate 737NGs to it.

CitationsRock4me
16th Oct 2009, 02:38
if you do go to Adak, I believe you will need to call ahead for fuel arrangements.

compressor stall
16th Oct 2009, 07:49
Lots and lots of birds at Midway....

con-pilot
16th Oct 2009, 17:45
A couple of things about Midway. Make sure that they do have fuel available, sometimes they run short. During the winter no daylight operations are allowed due to the mating season/hatching of the Albatrosses. Who ever is your handling agent should have the time that the airport is closed for daylight operations.

Midway is under control of the US Department of Agriculture. There is no customs on the island. So even if your next landing is in US Territory you will still need to clear customs. The people based on Midway do enjoy visitors and they are very friendly. After all, it gets pretty boring just counting birds every day, all day, day after day, after day,,,,,,,,well, you get my drift.

There is no ATC of any type, Oakland Center will switch you over to the advisory frequency as soon as you leave their airspace, do not forget to cancel your flight plan when landing is assured with Oakland Center. The approaches are VOR/DME, no precision approaches. There is an airfield advisory radio, however, to get your next clearance from Oakland Center you will have to use the phone in the operations room in the hanger. Oakland Center will issue you your clearance with a void time. If there is no inbound traffic, which there seldom is, the void time is very generous and should not pose a problem.

Now, a personal note. If it were me on this flight I would plan to spend a couple of days on Midway, they do have a hotel on the island and while it is not a Hyatt or a Marriott it is clean and nice. Take one day just to take a tour of this very historical place, a place that turned the tide of the Pacific Theater in World War Two. The other day spend fishing, the fishing is fantastic there, main reason is that nobody fishes anywhere around that island.

In any case, have a good trip.