PDA

View Full Version : What have I let myself in for???

Dukeyboy
10th Jan 2002, 03:15
Hello there. I posted a string on this forum some time ago regarding advice about OASC. I'd like to thank all those who offered me facts, opinions, pointers and good wishes. I was informed just a couple of days before Christmas (Best Christmas present I've had) that I had been selected to enter the Air Force as a Direct Entry Pilot and would attend IOT in April.
Anyway, following the succesful grin-removal operation I have returned to ask any of you who have recently attended IOT what I can expect, how I can prepare and any other general advice or hints that are available. As I see it forwarned is forarmed (I only have two at the moment) and as your advice regarding OASC was so helpful, I figured posting on here again couldn't be a bad thing.
Thanks again
-Dukeyboy

Wycombe
10th Jan 2002, 14:55
Hi Dukey...

Can't help with IOT (I failed OASC at first hurdle in '81 due colourblindness!), but wondered if your name had anything to do with your place
of education (a Military School on the cliffs at Dover, perhaps??).

If I've got this totally wrong, forgive me, but those of us who attended this fine establishment (which will probably be known to a lot of people on this forum) call ourselves "Dukies", "Dukeyboys" and the like!

Good luck with IOT by the way - I have a brother-in-law (ex Notts UAS) who failed about 4 years ago, so I guess I could ask him what "not" to do if that helps!!

[ 10 January 2002: Message edited by: Wycombe ]</p>

Jump jump John
10th Jan 2002, 16:25
Don't get re-coursed for two lots of 16 weeks - apparently it really upsets all your plans!

TicketyBoo
10th Jan 2002, 23:53
DukeyBoy,

Congrats on being accepted, best advice I can give is to put the time between now and April to good use by getting as physically fit as you possibly can.

TicketyBoo.

peterward
11th Jan 2002, 00:17
Sometimes the worst vice is advice-especially with something like IOT. Go and enjoy it for what it is, the first rung on the ladder to being an RAF pilot and form your own opinions as you go along. I would agree with the fitness thing though. If you can be fit before you go, it gives you more capacity to think about other things-all those good Officer qualities (and I'm sure SNCO qualities aswell before anyone gets the ar*e*ole) like being able to think about your team etc is so much easier if you're not hanging out of your butt hole. Anyway, good luck and make sure you go fast jet!!!

Big Green Arrow
11th Jan 2002, 00:48
Go for it my son.....there are loads of threads in here and in the wannabes..so search for them. Make the most of your famil visit before you get to IOT; ask the guys (& Gals) who are there what you need to do/bring so your life is easier. Be Prepared!!!! Getting fit will be a good idea, but bear in mind that most of the first 18 weeks is fitness training intensive, so don't pitch up with an injury through over-doing it. Prep some ideas for the 2/5/10 min talks. The latter two MUST be on a military subject. The defence studies package is good, but very intense...listen and sit near an open window...the seats are too comfortable! GET STUCK IN...what you put in is directly proportional to what you get out of it...and, contrary to popular opinion, the report you get out of IOT is important further down the line. BE YOURSELF...the thin veneer of a shallow sham of a fein will be see thru when you're cold, knackered and physically drained in the middle of Budby South or Otterburn. The Team can only work when the whole Team works....it applies to everything you will do at Cranditz and beyond. You will struggle with some parts of the Course...reflect on what you can do and seek to improve areas where you know you are weak. Use the experience of others...your Course will probably have a high proportion of Serving Airman and other military personnel (army x-overs etc). Don't be afraid to ask questions......the only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask. Don't be afraid to stand out (for the right reasons!).......it's far better to be gently pushed back into line, if req'd, than to remain the grey man. THERE IS NO HIDDEN AGENDA..IT IS NOT BIG BROTHER......honest!

The Flt Cdrs want to get ALL of you thru; provided you work hard they will move heaven and earth to ensure that you graduate. All the Flt Cdrs want to be at Cranwell these days; they have to be boarded to go and go thru an intensive trg package to ensure that you get the right training. They are checked regularly by a Stds Team, and have to be good at what they do. YOU will be the most important people there.

What are my qualifications for the above?....well I used to be a Flt Cdr there..and it was a really fun job...even for aircrew!

By far the best bit of advice I can offer is enjoy it........it will be fun!

Good Luck

BGA