PDA

View Full Version : Jobs

acepilotmurdock
10th Oct 2009, 14:15
Hi all,
I am currently waiting for my ME/IR check ride, have the JOC/MCC booked, and am now looking into the jobs side of thinks. Although I am very up to date in-terms of the airline industry,one of my instructors suggested flying cargo.
So what I am really after is info with regards to, rosters for cargo, a rough idea on pay, and who traditionally hires low hour pilots. I look forward and am greatful for any info put forward.
Ace
:ok:

411A
10th Oct 2009, 15:56
From what I have seen, low hour pilots are generally not needed, nor desired, in the air cargo business.

sapco2
10th Oct 2009, 16:05
By all means take a good look at any freight positions available but explore all avenues would be my advice. Given a choice between freight flying and passenger flying, bear in mind that passenger work will probably enable you to accumulate flying hours more quickly.
Good luck with the job hunt!

L-38
10th Oct 2009, 16:46
So what I am really after is info with . . a rough idea on pay . .
Your low time . . . pay won't factor if eager, as you most likely will work/fly regardless.

Pehaps also look to places that others don't want to go to (overseas). Good Luck! :D

lpokijuhyt
10th Oct 2009, 16:59
Pay in freight is generally less than passenger (although there are a couple exceptions like Fed-Ex...but they prefer high-time military US citizens).

The real issue is that you will not have the luxury to choose if you wish to fly freight or passengers....you simply will be grateful if you ever get a flying job in today's changed market. There are many pilots with thousands of hours who are currently finding it difficult to find work. They will probably have a better position in the "finding a job" queue. Anyhow, I suggest you instruct for a few years, the market will hopefully pick up around 2013/4...hopefully. Good luck...and if you need to do something else until things get better...then do it...you have to make a living and currently there are at least 1000 CVs for every 1 job opening in Aviation.

acepilotmurdock
10th Oct 2009, 18:58
Thank you one and all,for being honest and none condescending, to a low hour pilot like myself. I am sure this will also help a lot of people who may be frightened to ask such questions.
Also if you dont ask you never know, so once again thank you, and happy landings.
Ace
:ok:

GlueBall
12th Oct 2009, 08:57
Many moons ago, with only 800hrs, I had dropped a CV at a cargo outfit with propeller equipment, only to be told to come back with 2000hrs because of an "insurance requirement." Low and behold, about 10 days later I received an urgent call from the CP asking if I was available and if I could come to the airport right quick to sit in the copilot's seat. . . . :p

hotelmodemetar
12th Oct 2009, 09:40
Pay in freight is generally less than passenger (although there are a couple exceptions like Fed-Ex...but they prefer high-time military US citizens).

You are right, there are indeed a couple of exceptions ;) :cool:

In my company most of the crews come from many PAX companies. The salary in (GOOD) freight companies can at least be twice more than in passenger companies, on the same type of aircraft. :ok:

But yes, if you are a wannabe, it might be hard to get a job. Try Ryanair :E

Ronand
14th Oct 2009, 23:34
@ACE I hate to say this but you could consider yourself as damn lucky if you can get a flying job in a hell hole like Sierra Leone and work for food and accommodation :8 Otherwise you can start to look for a regular job to be able to keep current...
Cheers :}