PDA

View Full Version : UAL unschooled on valid WHTI documents

boaclhryul
10th Oct 2009, 11:56
I nearly missed my flight from Chicago to Toronto last night because an obdurate gate agent (also apparently a service director), reinforced by his various colleagues at the gate, refused to recognise my NEXUS card as a valid travel document for the flight. He offered the illogical argument that although it might be valid for entry to Canada, I couldn't leave the US without showing a passport.

Only the last-minute intervention by a supervisor, who checked with their International desk, established that it was a perfectly valid WHTI document, and I was able to board the flight literally two minutes before door closing. [And then we were delayed on pushback because ground staff had failed to board the GenDec and customs documents, necessitating the search for a ladder!]

This angers me - that these misinformed "can't do" desk staff can wreak more havoc that DHS. Is training within UAL that out of date and that bad?

crj705
10th Oct 2009, 13:24
That sounds about par for the course for UA. I had been using them to go to and from work and have made 1K status this and next year but I now will pay up to double just to avoid them. I honestly have more bad flights than good ones.

varigflier
13th Oct 2009, 23:37
I also fly them alot 1k next year but I really haven't had any bad experiences with them. Overall my experiences with them are good.