PDA

View Full Version : MRO software for restauration project (Warbird)

MD11Engineer
9th Oct 2009, 18:39
A few friends of mine have purchased a T-33A warbird (N-registered as an experimental) and asked me if I could do the maintenance on it, since I have a FAA A&P licence.
Now, since the T-33A is a first generation high performance aircraft and is quite complex, I want to set up a proper maintenance programme based on the old military MX schedules, just to stay on the safe side.
To help me with this I´m looking for a computer software, which will not only keep track of flying hours, cycles, oil and hydraulics top-ups, but which can also generate task cards and check packages (obviously the data will have to be entered first from the old paper manuals, but it should alert a few flying hours in advance of a task coming due and should be able to print the relevant task cards as well as keeping track of tasks done). It should also allow materials management (shelf life expiry, generate batch numbers to correlate with the relevant FAA Form 8130-3 or EASA Form 1 and storekeeping).
Another thing is that maybe later the group will purchase additional aircraft, so it should be expandable.
Now the biggest problem: I´m working on my regular job with the Swissair Technik product AMOS, which would be able to handle all of the tasks, but it costs several 10,000 Euros per year, unaffordable for our group. I have also worked with SAP, which I didn´t find so brilliant.

Has anybody an idea for MRO software being used in general aviation?

Rigga
9th Oct 2009, 19:44
I did a search a couple of years ago for software.
I googled "Aviation Maintenance Software" and got a site with at least 60 different programmes - unfortunately, I cant remember the site's name now - but I do remember googling that phrase

I remember there was a wide variety of software types and costs from megabucks to $500 a year for a web-based system.

The "Ideal" systems are never cheap!

What I did was chose the 6 top-rated for my needs and then visited companies that used the system to get personal advice about it's suitability and useability.

In the end I chose one system for £25K (for three helicopters) and that's when the real work started!!!

Good Luck
Rigga

BISH-BASH-BOSH
9th Oct 2009, 20:23
Have a look at CAFAM

NFF PLS RTFM
12th Oct 2009, 17:54
Sounds like SaSiMS would be perfect for you. All the functionality you require at an affordable price.

Rigga
12th Oct 2009, 18:29
SaSiMS is a very nice system but may be a bit pricey for a single aircraft operator - especially for one that isnt flying or may not fly for some time?

SaSiMS was actually my first choice and, had I controlled the budget,...

Like I said - the "ideal" systems are never cheap!

IMO for a single aircraft - even a T33 - you may as well use good old paperwork or an MS Access database (or even an Excel spreadsheet) and you can make then as simple or as complicated as you like. I'm sure there are lots of people out there, who are willing to show off their expertise in making and developing one of these. (and they might even sell it to someone else too!)

MD11Engineer
12th Oct 2009, 19:21
Well, for the materials I´ve set up a spreadsheet. I think this should be enough to control the small amount of stuff we´ll need.
My issue is more about time and cycle controlled tasks, to make sure that no task will be missed.

Jan