PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft type transfers??

JIP
7th Jan 2002, 20:34
Im not actually a military aircrew but have a question because hopefully in the next few years i will be.
Is it possible or does it happen that say a pilot in the RAF has training on ME (C130/C17), but after a few years change to rotary wing??
Or could a Navy pilot on say Merlins, be able to get into the RAF(obviously not directly) and train on ME?
Is this a stupid question or does it happen, just to settle my queries.
THANKS
SPRINGBOK

oldgit47
7th Jan 2002, 22:41
SPRINBOK, Change over from FJ to Multi or rotary does happen from time to time ( in both directions) but is not all that common. It normally happens after a QFI tour.
As far as I know you cannot transfer between services, you have to leave at a break point or apply for Premature Voluntary Release. You are more likely to be accepted initially by the second service to do a similar role eg Harrier to Harrier or Heli to Heli, but as you mature a change of role could be applied for. Good luck

Tocsin
8th Jan 2002, 13:49
There's a bit in this week's RAF News about an AAC-type transferring to the RAF while at Shawbury. She had Army wings, and it wasn't during initial training - I just skimmed the rag, though, so best take a look...