PDA

View Full Version : Cessna 208 - Your Views

Dunnza
9th Oct 2009, 06:12
My other post, I deleted by mistake [Comon, I spotted a spelling mistake and hit delete instead of editing]

Well what are your thoughts?

Mine... Simple a flippin excellent machine that hits the ground hard and keeps on running [expression they are a workhorse]

Don't get me wrong there has been snaufus as we iron out the aircraft so to speak the pilots love them, the passengers love them [especially when its parked up against a tired old Piper Chieftain]

Engineers love them for their simple access and low cost parts and best of all the owner makes a nice little turnover from them :}

Best Investment I will ever make :ok::ok:

FinalApp
9th Oct 2009, 06:44
I loved it as a passenger... Especially the noise on start up. But otherwise, I just found it comfortable and roomy enough with a good view (was on a scenic in the states).

Can't comment on it as a pilot - still only at PPL stage :( ... But hopefully I'll get the chance!

MyNameIsIs
9th Oct 2009, 08:49
Simple a flippin excellent machine that hits the ground hard and keeps on running

Don't know about the excellent machine part because i've never had any dealings in one
But as for hitting the ground hard and keeping on going, i've DEFINATELY seen that... he bent a main gear leg too.... lucky, another foot and both mains probably would have been ripped off.

the wizard of auz
9th Oct 2009, 11:05
Awesome aeroplane! Loved every minute I spent flying one.

To summarise, they sound good, smell good, carry a s#itoad and are a very very very reliable GA machine!

My sentiments exactly. :ok: probably my favorite aircraft over all.

Dunnza
9th Oct 2009, 11:11
Good for you, and you shared it with us

neville_nobody
9th Oct 2009, 12:00
Best Investment I will ever make

As long as you don't want a mining contract yes.......

Awesome aircraft aside from the Single Engine bit.

the wizard of auz
9th Oct 2009, 13:04
Well, you did ask Dunnza.

Actually, I have flown several different vans on several separate mining contracts over a three year period, and I am led to believe that those contracts are still being operated, and still in vans.
I certainly didn't run into any opposition to the van being a single whilst negotiating mining contracts other than the associated IFR problems.

Massey058
9th Oct 2009, 13:51
Seriously awesome machine, one that has made me want to stick around in GA a bit longer thats for sure.

I was pretty happy with the legacy setup but throw in the G1000 and wow its great. The wealth of information is fantastic and it really aids situational awareness far more than I thought it would.

On top of that the GFC700 autopilot kicks the arse of the cruddy old KFC225. She still hand flys the same though which I would describe as flattering of ones abilities.

Dunnza
9th Oct 2009, 14:03

Sorry to dissapoint... got two...

Started off with the freighter and one of the MD came to have alook, spotted the grand caravan asked for a quote and I walked away with the contract by the end of the week!

Rossy
10th Oct 2009, 09:15
So got those pics yet Dunnza? Thought you'd forgotten about them all!!! I'd love to see them :)

ksa5223
10th Oct 2009, 10:27
+ 1 for pics :}

neville_nobody
11th Oct 2009, 10:30
So you guys are telling me that a mining company flies in a single engine IFR passenger aircraft at night?? Well if that's true I have now seen it all!!:}:}

werbil
11th Oct 2009, 11:14
http://www.airwhitsunday.com.au/images/banner/water_landing.jpg

http://www.airwhitsunday.com.au/images/010.jpg

startingout
11th Oct 2009, 11:23
neville, from what I have heard seair pacific do a fortescue run most mornings in their caravan

training wheels
11th Oct 2009, 11:25
Dunnza, I'd also like to see pics of your brand spanking new Caravans as well both inside and out. :ok:

goin'flyin
11th Oct 2009, 21:55
Neville, SE IFR on mining contracts has been happening for at least a few years from what i've seen and heard.

Trojan1981
11th Oct 2009, 22:11
Werbil I want to work there!:ok:

Thats if you can call it work!

neville_nobody
11th Oct 2009, 23:34
That's good to hear some sort of sense coming from mining companies!! From my dealings with them they were totally against the idea, no further correspondence would be entered into.

However on saying all that ASEPTA is a mighty pain in the arse from a administrative point of view.

Dunnza
12th Oct 2009, 00:44
Pictures are coming... Unfortunately, seeing I am always head downs thumb up I very rarely get to see them!

P.S - Stop trying to guess which company it is... All will be revealed

Rich Pitch Power
12th Oct 2009, 10:21
I did a C208 rating about 18 months ago with the view to getting a job in Tanzania flying the same on RPT around the place and had been sent a very convincing offer to do so. The rating was the most fun I have had in a long, long time, stalling over the Cook Strait and assessing glide performance were a hoot, just like our Wellington arrival . It was bitterly cold (it snowed in Upper Hutt that night) and had a howling gale in Wellington all weekend that I thought may keep us on the ground but it did not.

To cut a long story short my job in Tanzania did not work out and I ended up back in Sudan again flying my crusty old LET 410 (another brilliant and indestructible machine!). The time came to leave Sudan and come home to New Zealand but there was no vehicle available to take me to the local 'airport' (Rumbek) some 60 km away from where we were based and there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth on my part as to how I would escape this part of the world (it was not the first time that this had happened). On the 2nd last sortie of my final day we landed in the LET 410 at our home base and I spotted a Caravan parked on the hospital apron next to our camp (I think 5Y-XLP was the registration). I immediately cornered our loadmaster and sent him down to the hospital to find out where this machine was going to next. He returned saying that it would return to Kenya, transfer it's pax and load onto another Caravan to Nairobi and that the head of the American mission had offered me the last remaining seat on this aircraft free of charge! So I eventually got a ride on a Caravan in the very last row of seats and had a most comfortable journey back to Nairobi along with my 50kg of baggage that would have been hit hard by the commercial operator I was supposed to depart on for excess baggage charges. I also managed to clear customs in Lokichoggio who cleared me and our broken weather radar with no hassle at all resulting in no duty charges at Nairobi and a very happy boss who met me...

RPP

Dunnza
13th Oct 2009, 01:54
I like the L410 aircraft aswell, they are huge aircraft and can shift alot. Best compared to a DHC6 but built for speed

Has any L410 been registered in Australia?

puff
13th Oct 2009, 02:31
Don't think they had CASA approval. There was one at CDR a while ago 9L-LCE - used to be used for skydiving. Nothing dodgy there running a Sierra Leone registered a/c for skydiving in Oz - i'm sure the Maintainance standards in Sierra Leone were to a high standard.

MyAviation.net - Aviation Photo Gallery (http://www.myaviation.net/search/photo_search.php?id=00494219&size=large)

j3pipercub
13th Oct 2009, 13:18
Correct puff, had a big Restricted sticker on it if I recall...gotta love the Sierra Leone rego. Heavy Cargo ran their 72 and Belfast for years on a 9L I think. However....back to the point

For the record, if memory serves, Seair Pacific contract to Newcrest and Roche 5 days a week, two 208's on Wednesdays and Thursdays. The destination is Theodoore, and they are not allowed passengers after dark...there are other limitations, but I won't go into them. they do a very good job, and seeing as the contract has been renewed on several occasions, the company must be happy with the service provided.

So neville, they will allow it, just not at night.

j3

Rossy
19th Oct 2009, 09:54
Still waiting dunnza!!! Take those pics! =)

The Green Goblin
19th Oct 2009, 10:20
I have not seen any new Caravans hit the register lately.....

Something smells a little fishy to me :hmm:

FRQ Charlie Bravo
19th Oct 2009, 11:22
Are you suggesting, Green Gob, that someone is trying to talk up an aeroplane that they are about to sell? Do aeroplane buyers PPRuNe?

FRQ CB

SE Turbine... gotta love the PC12

The Green Goblin
19th Oct 2009, 11:55
Nope, I'm suggesting these Caravans are a figment of someones imagination.

Come on, has anyone actually heard of these things coming into Australia? Or seen them hit the VH register? Or know someone who knows someone who is flying them? Or knows someone who got a recent endorsement to fly for someone who just bought them??

The industry 'aint that big that you can hide a few brand spanking new Caravans coming into the country and be all secretive on the location and the company.

I'll eat humble pie if this turns out to be true, but my bull**** radar is pretty good after being in this industry for a while.

GG

training wheels
19th Oct 2009, 12:30
Here's the CASA register for all C208s (http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/airsresults.asp?VHin=&framein=all&manuin=Cessna&modelin=208&regholdin=&regopin=&serialin=&num_results=10&Search=Search&session=1008340712) registered in this country. The latest 208 on the registry is VH NGK, registered 06 August 2009 and operated by Chartair. There are only two other C208's registered in 2009, earlier than this date. I'm not drawing any conclusions from this; just giving people the data that's on the CASA aircraft registry.

fasterblaster
19th Oct 2009, 23:54
Lynching time?:E

The Green Goblin
20th Oct 2009, 00:10
VH-YMV
VH-UCR

Are the two others apart from Chartairs machine. One is for UC Aviation which I think is a survey company based in Essendon and the other is for Budbay PTY LTD in QLD which I have not heard of.

Anyone know anything about these two machines?

Dunza, while some of your sentiments were entertaining and the thought of someone paying unrealistic wages for a Van gave many food for thought, somehow I think it's time you either put the record straight, or leave Pprune for the professionals.

What made me suspicious is when he said the Van was parked on a ramp and a mining company saw it and gave him a contract. Mining companies don't work like that at all. The company is audited by an independent auditor and a minimum experience requirement placed for flight crew. And of course generally they will take a clapped out old PA31 over a Van due to '2' engines.

j3pipercub
20th Oct 2009, 00:36
GG,

Any C208 which has the last two letters, 'MV' will at one point have belonged to Budbay. Budbay is the compnay name for the guy who runs the skydive caravans.

j3

Rossy
20th Oct 2009, 13:19
So I guess I may never see the pics of the two or three new vans Dunnza paid 'cash' for??? =(

j3pipercub
20th Oct 2009, 19:10
Dunnza, where are you?

Maybe he meant the Viscount variety...