PDA

View Full Version : Headset For the Beginner

Big_saint
9th Oct 2009, 04:19
Will be starting full time studying/ flying not to distant in the future and wandering what kind of headset would be the best to get? Money is of course a virtue but can some of it on my student as part of my course costs.

Any recommendations would be great.

tmpffisch
9th Oct 2009, 04:40
The 277 posts on this thread could well help.
http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-general-aviation-questions/69357-headset-types-ga.html

as could GA headsets - Downwind Pilots (http://www.downwind.com.au/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=117&func=view&catid=3&id=1103&limit=10&limitstart=20#1637)

Can't go wrong with a set of (industry standard) David Clark 13.4's. Bose and Lightspeed ANR's are also highly regarded.

Torquatus
9th Oct 2009, 04:49
As suggested in the headset post in the Medical & Health forum (http://www.pprune.org/medical-health/388842-worth-buying-headset.html), don't spend so much money on a headset that you're sacrificing flying hours. Bose come to mind. When you're flying five hours a day, four days a week then you would gain most benefit from the Bose. When you're doing a few flights a week (and a lot of ground study!), an old beat-up set of 13.4s (or even a H10-30, which can often be found cheaper) is a better bet.

If your school has some rental headsets you could try a few of them to see which brand/model suits you. But be warned - rental headsets are mostly trash ;)

Ixixly
9th Oct 2009, 10:48
I got a set of David Clark H10.60s when I started my flight training almost 2 years ago now and haven't had any problems with them at all! Only problem I find is after about maybe 4-5 hours of constantly wearing them my ears start to hurt a bit, so i'm trying to find a set of slightly cushier ear gels!

amateur
12th Oct 2009, 06:54
Hmm well if you are in it for the long hall then investing in one good headset is definately worth it. David Clarke is good- but do not buy the XR11s because i had 2 of those which were faulty plus i know of 3 other guys that had similar problems- some design fault:*. A bose you can never go wrong with, but the best headset ive tried so far is the lightspeed- Those things are awesome!:ok:

Happy training

eocvictim
14th Oct 2009, 03:35
I'm still wearing my David Clark h13.4 after 8 years no problems.

I wear bose now but still prefer my h13.4's for private use.

Howard Hughes
14th Oct 2009, 09:15
I had been using the same pair of DC H10-40's since 1986, until my current employer gave me a set of Bose.

Sadly they don't make H10-40's anymore, but any David Clarks will probably outlast your need for them.:ok:

girl with a stick
14th Oct 2009, 10:53
G'day...

I just had a hearing test for my Class One medical, and was informed by the audiologist to upgrade to a noise cancelling headset - justification being, "the thousand dollars you spend now will reflect in the six thousand dollars you'll save on hearing aids down the line, if you become a commercial pilot."

I bought a Lightspeed Zulu headset, off eBay, for $1050, and am smitten with em...

Blue skies,

GWAS