PDA

View Full Version : RN Pilots can you help me out?

Fanstop
10th Dec 2001, 22:31
:confused: I passed AIB 2 years ago as a pilot, and was then told that as i did not have observer apptitude that i would have to go ATC. I was then told that i could transfer at BRNC. However this was not possible . I decided to leave and pursue a flying career elsewhere. I have now found out that you do not need Observer apptitude anymore. what is the best way to look at re-applying and who would be best to approach? :mad:

bad livin'
10th Dec 2001, 23:39
fanstop - best course of action is to go back to the queen st. careers office and start over. as you've been round the mill before they may advise you to write the AIB in person explaining your situation. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS be wary of offers to change branch later - it does NOT happen often. there are targets to be met and bums to be gotten on seats.

best of luck
BL

3 Point
11th Dec 2001, 15:11
Fanstop,

Given that your last brush with the Navy began with poor advice from the recruiting office I'd think twice about following Bad Livin's suggestion to start again there. He is right on the mark to suggest caution when anybody says "you can transfer later"!

Why not write to the boss?

Commodore, Naval Aviation
COMNA HQ
ILCHESTER
Somerset
BA22 8HT

Whether the man himself will ever see your letter I don't know but it will certainly be seen by one of his staff who will be an aviator. This should at least mean you get advice from someone who knows what they are talking about.

You should explain your situation including your previous history and simply ask if they are now in the business of recruiting people like you as pilots.

Good luck! :)

bad livin'
11th Dec 2001, 18:17
3 point - I was writing on the basis that the ATC advice was most likely given in the post aptitude test debrief at OASC. This isn't something that would be said in Glasgow most likely. Details.......!

Fanstop - writing to COMNA is a great idea. I have used a similar approach in the past and it paid off to a degree. Contacts and diplomacy can be VERY useful tools!

Best of luck to you!
BL
:rolleyes:

Fanstop
11th Dec 2001, 18:39
BL-the fact that I am now training in another service in a non flying role as yet, may prove to be complicated. However the fact that I passed AIB, and have succesfully completed army grading may help. What is your thoughts :confused:

bad livin'
11th Dec 2001, 20:55
Fanstop - drop me a line on [email protected]

BL

MaxAOB
12th Dec 2001, 02:46
If you were at Dartmouth once then you should know the score! I am afraid that you don't seem to have hoisted in the correct data. I suggest that you stay where you are or borrow £50k because the RN is unlikely to look at you again, as an ex FONA staff officer I can tell you that your letter (if you write it) will just burden an already vv busy staff officer who won't give a rats arse about it. Sorry mate but it is the truth. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

:) :D ;) :D :)