PDA

View Full Version : Hack

Trust Kermit
10th Dec 2001, 14:50
I have sat through and delivered more met briefs than I've had b0ll0ckings but I am still confused as to why we say 5...4...3...2...1...hack at the start of the brief.TK :confused:

I am happy with why we say 5...4...etc before anyone tries to be funny! ;)

Genghis the Engineer
10th Dec 2001, 15:20
Hack is a word used for it's clarity and shortness to define a point in time. It's most commonly used in flight, when you are monitoring something and somebody else is wielding the stopwatch.

In a briefing, it's done at the timecheck, the "Hack" is said at a particular point in time - usually exactly a given minute ("the time now is "0832 Zulu, 5,4,3,2,1 Hack"). So that everybody can check that their watches are set correctly and the same.

G

Trust Kermit
10th Dec 2001, 15:31
Aaaah...all is clear.

Just wondered why the word hack was used but now I know.

Thanks

TK :)

Jackonicko
10th Dec 2001, 16:14
Actually it's a token of the RAF's exaggerated respect for the media, and a reminder that everyone should consider the PR implications of even the smallest action.......

Or perhaps it isn't?

left one o clock
10th Dec 2001, 17:05
I don't know if it still is (not having a copy to hand) but the definition of the brevity codeword 'hack' used to be in the ATP65.

Suit
10th Dec 2001, 17:42
Brevity codeword?

How about "now" or is that too simple?

Suit

Genghis the Engineer
10th Dec 2001, 19:13
Far too simple. Any anyway, it's a nice word.

If it really is in AvP, will somebody post the wording, I'd love to know the official definition.

G

left one o clock
10th Dec 2001, 19:27
Correction to my last, that's ACP165 not ATP. And believe it or not, the definition is restricted. I kid u not.

Talking Radalt
10th Dec 2001, 22:08
Still can't beat a sarcastic "5...4...3...2...1...Hack; it's Monday morning"

Grey Area
10th Dec 2001, 22:14
So why does the RN use "Mark" ? Was Mark a journo?

AllTrimDoubt
10th Dec 2001, 22:18
Being of a truly "joint" persona, perhaps we should use
"3,2,1..Hark!" :D

[ 10 December 2001: Message edited by: AllTrimDoubt ]

OOPS 78
10th Dec 2001, 22:25
You could try the SAR way, stagger in and go 2,1 er Tuesday no sorry Thursday, anyway er the weather. :D :D :D

Olly O'Leg
10th Dec 2001, 23:54
Nahhhhh..... I `erd it woz because the word Chop isn't very politically correct these days...... ;) ;) ;)

Chinook
11th Dec 2001, 04:56
How about this for a new idea ... 5..4..3..2..1..Time!!!

Or will all the old farts like me race for the bar instead of ALSE?

:) :) :D

Cooperman
11th Dec 2001, 07:55
You guys are way behind!

We use "standby to hack........hack.....now" to avoid confusion over when you should hack. Clever eh?

I'll get my coat............ :(

BEagle
11th Dec 2001, 09:11
Other options:

1. Digital wall display slaved to the international time broadcast.

2. Use p-code GPS from the aircraft FMS display.

3. Put the speaking clock on through a loudspeaker - it'll embarrass anyone late for the brief!!

4. What is a 'morning brief' anyway? Something for Learning Command or the 8-to-5ers, but hardly appropriate for the 24/7 world? (BEagle writes this knowing that he has to be in at 0640 in case the fog miraculously clears...the best the TAF is giving is 'becoming broken at 200ft, tempo scattered at 600 ft, becoming 13-20 broken at 100ft....oh good!!)

[ 11 December 2001: Message edited by: BEagle ]

Tigs
11th Dec 2001, 15:47
But at which point during the statement "Hack" do you actually Hack? Is it at the "H" or the "K", or indeed for "Hack Now", even more complicated on a monday morning. This could be an A2 question on your next Staneval you know.

Genghis the Engineer
11th Dec 2001, 17:16
I believe that you mentally confirm the action on the H, carry through on the a, and complete on the ck. Makes perfect sense to me.

G

Olly O'Leg
12th Dec 2001, 04:26
No, no, `cos there's a built in time for the lead's hand to travel off the clock and then to hit the stopwatch, so it's "Standby to hack......hack now", pause...... hack!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Cooperman
12th Dec 2001, 08:04
Olly, are you sure.....I didn't read that in the SOPs.

"SOPs, what SOPs?"

Yep, fair cop gov'.

I'll get my Muckluks..... ;)

Tigs
12th Dec 2001, 14:07
Genghis
You have a fair point, but our last Ops clerk had a stutter and by the time we had mentally prepared for the moment on H (I think there were 6 or 7 H's included) we were all ten seconds late by the time he got to ck. Still thats SH timing for you.

MightyGem
14th Dec 2001, 07:33
Two questions:
1. Does anyone actually adjust their watch to that of the briefer's

2. With pips on the radio, the clock on beeb tv and gps, why do so many briefers have their watch at the wrong time.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Arm out the window
14th Dec 2001, 11:38
The correct way to set your watch must be, of course, to wait for the words "Standby to hack....hack!", then wait the time it takes for a standard marching pace, then press the button on your watch.

Then realise that it hasn't started and just ring up the speaking clock.

Olly O'Leg
14th Dec 2001, 20:19
Yeah, but if it's anything like our Met Man, there's utter silence over the `phone for about three minutes (lots of throat-clearing sounds though) and then all of a sudden "Hack"!!!!!!! Loads of use....... Oh and he can't predict the weather for toffee as well, but that's old news!!!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

BEagle
14th Dec 2001, 20:38
Point of order. What is a 'standard marching pace'?...in fact, what the foxtrot is 'marching'??

tony draper
14th Dec 2001, 21:05
Draper don't wear a watch,write the time down on a piece of paper before you leave home, same as me. ;)

Olly O'Leg
14th Dec 2001, 22:59
Hmmmmm, I'd like to see everyone taking a step forward in met just before they hack their watches!!! Could be amusing.......

;) ;) ;)

3m Strop Carrier
14th Dec 2001, 23:28
Does it matter as most peoples watches are normally all telling different times. I find that if u try to then adjust to the correct morning brief time, you miss the rest of the brief.

However as were all now joint should we say "Hack, Welcome to shareholders"

Art Field
15th Dec 2001, 00:03
Heard at a morning brief at an USAF airshow," Standby for a hack on the ramp". Now what the **** does that mean?

Arm out the window
15th Dec 2001, 00:20
That must mean that they're saving time by getting the 'standby' out of the way beforehand, and now he can just shout "Hack!" out of context any old time he feels like it.

P.S. I don't know what a standard marching pace is either, I just mentioned it because that was supposedly the period of time that you had to wait in formation between a call for something and the actual selection, e.g.
"Flaps, go" - pause - select;

or something like that!

[ 14 December 2001: Message edited by: Arm out the window ]

Tigs
17th Dec 2001, 02:37
This standard marching pace business, explains why the Gurkhas (SP?) watches are always slightly faster than ours!

Olly O'Leg
17th Dec 2001, 22:31
Good point Tigs!!! Perhaps they have 25hrs in their day.......

;) ;) ;)

Jimmifly
18th Dec 2001, 02:34
Dunno why we even bother to try hacking the fine time piece that is issued to us pilots. Mine gains about 5 seconds a day, then loses 10 mins over the weekend! :)

Olly O'Leg
18th Dec 2001, 03:16
Tell you what fella, there's one of the lads here at work who owns a Breitling and it's rubbish at keeping time compared to my issue watch (yeah, yeah all you owners - I know it's precision timepiece with a mechanical action, but it's not that precision is it.....?)

Pull pin, throw, put hand to ear and wait for blast....... :p :p :p

Flatus Veteranus
18th Dec 2001, 08:18
OO'L

In 1956 I bought a Rolex Explorer in Aden - cost me an arm and a leg by the standards of the day. In 1980 I took it into a Rolex dealer in London and told him the self-winder was tired and asked how much for a general service. £50 + spares. I asked how much for the Seiko on display? £50. Thanks, I'll take it. About 4 new batteries later it still keeps better time than the Rolex ever did even when its fancy "chronometer certificate" was still in force. IMHO watches are for time-keeping, not fashion-statements. :)