PDA

View Full Version : North Cypriot Diver Claims Wreck of Spitfire

The Guvnor
10th Dec 2001, 14:32
From today's Telegraph:

Diver claims wreck of Spitfire
(Filed: 10/12/2001)

THE operator of a diving school in Cyprus who claims to have found the wreckage of an RAF Spitfire off the island's northern coast is refusing to tell the Ministry of Defence its exact location.

Gurdal Mehmetcik, 37, wants to preserve the Spitfire as a wreck dive site for his business, but the MoD insists that it is a war grave and should not be disturbed until its future has been decided.

The remains of the unidentified pilot are still in the aircraft and the MoD said his next of kin should be consulted before any decision was taken to remove the body or leave it untouched.

Mr Mehmetcik has offered to lead an MoD diving team to the site to recover the body, but only on condition that the Spitfire is left as a dive site.

He said: "We are ready to help recover the body, but not the plane. There is a lack of wreck dive sites in Northern Cyprus and we are against the plane being taken away. This is my plane."

Mr Mehmetcik, a former major in the Turkish army, said he found the Spitfire in July. It is thought to have crashed during the Second World War and is lying in 80ft of water in Morphou Bay. Although he said the aircraft was coated in silt and sand, it was in "perfect" condition.

Mr Mehmetcik said he had dived at the site on five occasions, but had not attempted to remove silt from the fuselage to read the Spitfire's recognition number, which would identify the pilot and when the aircraft crashed.

British airfields in Cyprus were extensively used during the Second World War, particularly during the North Africa campaign. The MoD said there were "proper procedures" to follow the discovery of the Spitfire and Mr Mehmetcik should first notify the Cypriot authorities, who would then officially inform the ministry.

A spokesman added: "It is not his choice whether the body is repatriated or not. He does not own the site and it is incumbent upon him to go about this in the proper way.

"It is possible that the RAF and the pilot's next of kin will want the aircraft to remain a war grave, which should be left untouched."

tony draper
10th Dec 2001, 15:45
I would imagine now the MOD knows its there and its rough location ,with modern side scan sonar kit, they could find it in no time flat.
That American guy found the Titanic, the Bizmark and the Hood.
Guy on another site posted a sonar picture of a B17 I think, lying at the bottom of the North Sea, the detail was amazing.
I'll see if I can find the link.

http://www.divetheworld.com/Projects-team/Projects/Unknown1/Sonar.gif

PS, picture caused heated discussion as to what type of aircraft that is exactly.

[ 10 December 2001: Message edited by: tony draper ]

left one o clock
10th Dec 2001, 17:12
Having spent two weeks on an RAF expedition in 1992 to locate and excavate the wreck of a Beaufort torpedo bomber (found in 100ft of water of the coast of Valetta) I can tell you that both the war museum there, and the government will probably be all over this gentleman like a rash. There is still a lot of good feeling towards the British military in Malta and the RAF in particular.

Suit
10th Dec 2001, 17:50
Left one o'clock,

Agree, except that THIS Spitfire wreck is off Cyprus....................

Suit

fergineer
10th Dec 2001, 18:26
Hi Left, unfortunately I believe that the wreck has been removed and destroyed now, a well kept secret for many a year that wreck had some good dives on it with GF on the many trips to Malta. Hopefully the Cypriot Gov will stop this guy diving on it as we were on the Beaufort when we found what we thought were remains, however the guys personel belongings were returned to him recently.

left one o clock
10th Dec 2001, 19:30
Suit. Thanks for pointing out my gross error. I must be getting old, all the territories and colonies merge into one after a while.

Ali Barber
10th Dec 2001, 22:32
Not withstanding the war grave issue, I'm not sure on the international law for air wrecks at sea, but I understood that all shipwrecks are still owned by someone. Presumably that is UK MOD if the same law applies and they can dictate what they want to happen to it.

nurjio
11th Dec 2001, 01:25
I came to this forum for a nostalgic browse. What did I find?....The Guvnor.

:(

[ 10 December 2001: Message edited by: nurjio ]

The Guvnor
11th Dec 2001, 14:20
Mr Draper - here's your side-scan image. As you say, truly amazing detail!

http://www.divetheworld.com/Projects-team/Projects/Unknown1/Sonar.gif

tony draper
11th Dec 2001, 15:00
Thank you Mr G, Links I post never seem to work, but that one shows ok on my machine.
As I said ,that pick caused a bit of a rukus as to what type it was exactly.
There was a very good documentry on channel four yesterday about the fighting around the Truck Atol, it showed many ships and aircraft, lying on the bottom,tanks, zero fighters and other hardwear rusting away in the jungle, facinating.

[ 11 December 2001: Message edited by: tony draper ]

Olly O'Leg
12th Dec 2001, 20:06
Hi All!!!!

I know this isn't quite the right forum, but someone might be in here looking!! I'm currently looking for info about my Great Uncle who got shot down near the end of WWII. Anyone got any ideas about a list of crash sites that I can browse through (he bought the farm in a Spit, Lake Como in Italy). Cheers everyone.

Olly. :p :p

newswatcher
13th Dec 2001, 17:06
Olly, try here:

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/lait/site/Links%20page%20.htm

Olly O'Leg
13th Dec 2001, 21:09
Cheers mate!!!!

Currently wading my way through!!! Thanks again,

Olly. :cool: