PDA

View Full Version : Viet Nam, A320 contracting

theparrellbarrell
7th Oct 2009, 16:21
I'm considering the Viet Nam Airways A320 contract being offered by a number of agencies.....would greatly appreciate some feedback on matters such as:

1. General standard of management, crewing, roster stability.
2. Aircraft serviceability standards.
3. Roster pattern worked within the 6 weeks on/2 off overall pattern.
4. How does the system offered of free tickets to/from as near to home as they fly for each 2 week off period work out in practise?
5. Some info on cost of living, i.e. a general idea of housing costs/food/transport costs.

A lot to ask I realise, but any info you can give me will help me make a reasoned decision! :cool:

varigflier
7th Oct 2009, 18:59
There is already a large thread that will answer all of your questions:ok:

AirMargarita
8th Oct 2009, 02:07
Just my opinion:

1. Management is trying to raise the airline standards over all but progress seems slow. Crew roostering is a bit wild. Lets just say you are at the mercy of the ladies in roostering. Expect lots of changes and only a two week look forward on your rooster, but it doesn't matter anyways because it changes again by then.
2. Aircraft serviceability standards - not so good. Lots of MEL's on the A320 but they are phasing those out. A321 is better. Enginers are good at changing the oil and tires. Not sure if they really fix anything else?
3. Rotations patterns are now problem.
4. Free travel on your rotations provided it is on Vietnam Network and upgrade to business 90% of the time. 10 ID-90 tickets for family per year but upgrading them to Business is a touchy affair.
5. Western style housing would be your biggest expense around $1000 a month for a descent 2 bed room. Everything else is cheap. (Except school for kids - see below).

Expats with families have been having problems getting visa's for kids and spouses. They basically enter as vistors and now have to keep extending something like every month??? Added costs and headaches for those with families, and no one is sure if there will be any resoultion on this matter anytime soon? Also, there really are not any jobs for your spouse that pay anything. Finally, I hear school costs are around $1000 / month per kid. Ouch!

I hope this helps a bit.

Good luck!

jumpdrive
8th Oct 2009, 06:28
as the other guy said
theres a huge thread going for long about VN

anyway my best shot @ ur Q's

sometimes we wonder if exist's ?!?!
they flush down the toilet huge amounts of money
dont know what u mean by crewing ?
theyll give u your roster but it can (& it will) change daily
many M.E.L. on the bus fleet
evrytime u have ur 2 weeks off , VN will give u a free business class seat to
i guess in ur case.............FRA or CDG
wherever u wanna go from theres its up to U
it depends on your living style/standard/statusQuo
apartments go from $350 to $1200
house from $1000 to $6000
food its cheaper than EU, & you find evrything
transport...............no problem with taxis
on the bus , expect to fly a lot
& each trip on the taxi by meter from D7 its around $20
other charge a flat fare, & are the most used by expat/pilots
around $8
you still have the option .............if you dare of the moto
saves a lot of money....................good way to make P.R.

for the rest go to the other forum