PDA

View Full Version : Savannah

projectman
7th Oct 2009, 09:35
Hay guys,

Will be spending a month in Savannah during February for G450 training. Any advice on which hotel to stay at, where to eat and what to see?

Appreciate anything from those that have been there, done that.
Thanks.

FL470
7th Oct 2009, 12:56
Just came back from SAV.

We stayed at the Bohemian Hotel. In my opinion it's the best hotel in SAV! Rates are quite high (ask for Gulfstream/Flightsafety rates).

There are lots of good restaurants out there, but I can't remember their names :}...

surveytheworld
7th Oct 2009, 15:41
I stayed at the Hampton nearest the airport (there's a huge "hotel village" there with at least 8 different hotels in that area.) Good hotel, but the downside is that there's really only one restaurant within walking distance of the hotel, but damn, is it ever a good one.

Sam Sneads Oak Grill & Tavern - Home Page (http://samsneads.com/)

They have a great shuttle service though, that can take you to other restaurants in the area (there aren't many) or the grocery store, etc, but they won't take you into downtown Savannah.

smallfry
7th Oct 2009, 16:34
If you have a rental car stay in town. The Westin is very nice. The hyatt is the best location and not too pricy. Lovely resturants easy walking distance. Vics on the river a very good quality resturant. Marriott good too but not such a prime location. There is a good coffee shop - ie not a starbucks nearby and a cool little Market shop that does European treats and deli food.
Savannah is a great place to be. Enjoy the course.

singpilot
7th Oct 2009, 19:49
Make sure you get out to Tybee Island for a day at the beach.

Last minute quick b-fast at the Waffle House in Garden City will clean out any excess CofG.

Cafeteria at the training center, or Cafeteria in the Factory are both good.

Have been there on and off every 6 months since 1977. Have fun.

February? Take a coat and warm socks.

Mike Oxbig
7th Oct 2009, 20:16
The Blue Moon opposite the Hyatt does good microbrewery ales and I can recommended their nachos - be hungry or take a friend! Also recommend the crab shack on the way to Tybee island - good stuff.

projectman
8th Oct 2009, 08:46
Thanks for the advice.
Is there much time free on the initial to get around and about? or will we be too busy studying our butts off?

smallfry
8th Oct 2009, 08:52
The G550 initial ran for 5 weeks and we had 3 days off! and We didn't have to do the RVSM or High Altitude options. (But we did do the GV / G550 diferences).

Very intense course, focused a lot on the Avionics. But is very good and manageable...

spacecadet
8th Oct 2009, 19:15
Stay at the Hilton downtown, approx $109 a night with FlightSafety/Gulfstream rate. If you stay at the airport you are limited to what you can do, if you stay downtown there is so much choice on entertainment, food, etc.

Enjoy SAV, lovely place to visit!!

uberwang
8th Oct 2009, 20:47
Look up cooperateclass suites.. Its a self catering option 5 mins from the airport.. Its out of town so you stay focused on the course and if you like golf then get a round in or hit the range here and there.. The appartment is really great.. Next to a lake with two bedrooms, big kitchen and three tvs... Not for everyone the self catering option but I kept my weight in check for once in the US and A :-)

projectman
9th Oct 2009, 07:58
I always thought maintaining your weight was impossible in the States.
Glad to be proven wrong.

rick1128
9th Oct 2009, 15:29
Last time I was there I stayed at the Spring Hill Suites. Reasonable rates and is in the suite configuration, so you don't go insane in a monocromantic box. With the different sim times and the like, you really need a rent car. The Sam Sneed restaurant is good. Another one is the Cracker Barrel which is just one exit down from the airport. If I remember correctly, the cafeteria does do an excellent breakfast.

g4phil
10th Oct 2009, 06:38
If I'm there for a Mx visit then it's defiantly down town Hyatt or the Doubletree on Bay Street.

If It's training especially an initial then its the hotels in Abercorn area.

Homewood Suites are not too bad, offering a breakfast and managers cocktails in the evening. You even get to use their BBQ grills when you get some time off.

Next door is the Marriott Residence Inn which offers the same standard of service.

There is a Farmers Market close by and a Publix supermarket across the street.

So if you are chasing points you have Hilton (Homewood Suites) or the Marriott option.

Extended Stay Hotel in Savannah - Georgia, GA - Homewood Suites Hotels (http://homewoodsuites1.hilton.com/en_US/hw/hotel/SAVWBHW-Homewood-Suites-by-Hilton-Savannah-Georgia/index.do;jsessionid=48E64F96C4C1512651D93FE630C87290.etc43?b rand_id=HW&brand_directory=/en/hw/&xch=501353908,POTMFGDJFC5DYCSGBIWMVCQ)

Residence Inn Savannah Midtown: Spacious suites and amenities for longer stays (http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/savri-residence-inn-savannah-midtown/)

Tony Mabelis
11th Oct 2009, 09:56
For my money, The Homewood Suites on White Bluff road, and Doc's bar when you are on Tybee Island.

To the previous poster.... dont forget Rob and myself next time you are in Amman!

g4phil
11th Oct 2009, 17:01
Hello Tony,

I hope everything worked out in Amman.

Regards to you all.

Phil. (I haven't seen a 450 since the course!)

Varnish
13th Oct 2009, 23:59
I've always stayed at the Hyatt, it's not the best one in the world but is quite acceptable and close to everything you need downtown, and you're only talking 25mins to FSI.

Savannah - great place with a good live music scene (if you're in to it, not everyone's taste!). Check out Eric Culberson (local Blues player) and his band - usually in the "Mercury Lounge" - had many a good night there.

Wish I was back there again...enjoy...:cool: