PDA

View Full Version : Latest Virgin Gimmick

my oleo is extended
7th Oct 2009, 09:31
Can anybody tell me if VB`s latest stunt (below) is something that ;
A) Meets regulatory approval ?
B) Has had a risk assessment conducted ? and,
C) How is the equipement adequately secured onboard ?
D) What power sources onboard do they use ? What kind of batteries ?
E) Does band equipment pose an evacuation hazard ?
F) Has CASA issued any exemptions or will a Dangerous Goods Inspector oversight this stunt ?
Virgin Blue and The Black Eyed Peas join music's Mile High Club

Tuesday 6 October 2009 Brisbane, Australia: On Friday October 9 at 1:00pm in Melbourne Australia, Virgin Blue and internationally acclaimed three time Grammy winners THE BLACK EYED PEAS will become part of music and aviation history as they board flight DJ9001 from Melbourne Airport to Perth where the cheeky Aussie airline and The Black Eyed Peas, will create the ‘Mile High Karaoke Plane’ at 41,000 feet.
In what is set to become an Australian first, The Black Eyed Peas, touring nationally in October, will jam live during the private four hour long flight, ahead of their final Australian concert at Burswood Dome on Saturday.
Nearly 140 V.i.P Guests, including 30 winners from a national competition run by News Limited, will join the Peas onboard and share this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity as well as being given the chance to showcase their vocal ability alongside the talented quartet in a mile-high karaoke session.
American fans did not miss out either with 10 tickets on the flight snapped up last week online via a special Ebay charity auction. The winning bidders will now fly half way around the world with V Australia and join the Mile High Karaoke flight from Melbourne. All money raised through the auctions will benefit the Telethon Institute for Child Health Research which aims to improve and to promote the health and well-being of all children through the unique application of multidisciplinary research.
Virgin Blue Chief Executive, Brett Godfrey, said, “As well as being the official airline for the Australian leg of The E.N.D World Tour, getting the chance to work on such a unique project with The Black Eyed Peas was an opportunity we just couldn’t pass up. It most definitely is an Australian first and who knows, we may even end up breaking a world-record somewhere along the way.”
In contrast to the larger than life visually extravagant light-show of their The E.N.D World stage production, The Black Eyed Peas will make the most of Virgin Blue’s specially modified Boeing 737-800 aircraft for their mile-high performance.
Following three months of intense planning by a team of more than 50 people including engineers, technicians and staging professionals, the aircraft has been transformed into a unique venue which promises a very intimate experience for those lucky enough to be on board. The aircraft also features a specially designed signage decal fitted to its fuselage to mark the occasion.
The Black Eyed Peas have made history with the longest successive stay at the top of the USA Billboard Hot 100 chart with 26 consecutive weeks at number 1. “I Gotta Feeling” has held the top spot for the past fourteen weeks after replacing their first single “Boom Boom Pow” which then spent 12 weeks at number 1. This is the longest consecutive stay for any artist in the Billboard chart’s 51-year history.

greenslopes
7th Oct 2009, 09:35
Oh stop being such a pussy.. Live a little!

Howard Hughes
7th Oct 2009, 09:37
from Melbourne Airport to Perth
41,000 feet
I hope not!;)

Wouldn't mind joining the mile high club with Fergie though!:E

my oleo is extended
7th Oct 2009, 09:45
Now Now Greenslopes,I am far from being a pussy !

In fact, I even support the police force when they do 'nudie runs' around police cars at traffic lights while drunk !
Actually,I agree with Howard Hughes and would love to 'jam' with Fergie at 41000 feet !
But as the airlines always say 'safety first',and 'safety before schedule' !
Just curious I am. At no point did I say it shouldnt take place, just a little curious about the safety aspects.

SRM
7th Oct 2009, 10:35
MOIE FYI
I think you will find that all bases have been covered for this gig by a
CAR 35 approval.

tasdevil.f27
7th Oct 2009, 10:37
Wouldn't mind joining the mile high club with Fergie though!http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif

Wouldn't we all, she looked mighty fine tonight in her outfit :ok:

Enema Bandit's Dad
7th Oct 2009, 10:52
She'd look better out of it!! :O Hey, how are the pilots going to hear the radios over a pop concert?? :eek:

Torqueman
7th Oct 2009, 11:03
Modification of the aircraft is being carried out at JHAS Melbourne.

HotDog
7th Oct 2009, 11:17
Extended Oleo,

The E.N.D World stage production, The Black Eyed Peas will make the most of Virgin Blue’s specially modified Boeing 737-800 aircraft for their mile-high performance.
Following three months of intense planning by a team of more than 50 people including engineers, technicians and staging professionals, the aircraft has been transformed into a unique venue which promises a very intimate experience for those lucky enough to be on board.

I feel the above quote should answer all your questions?

kellykelpie
7th Oct 2009, 12:41
A risk assessment? Is your singing really that bad?

kiwi engineer12
7th Oct 2009, 13:29
Air NZ did this about 2 and 1/2 years ago on a A320 AKL-SYD for the Australian MTV Music Video Awards, and again in 2008.
It was sold as a commercial flight and was a success as I recall, wasn't a drop of booze left on the plane when it got into SYD.

Speakers were placed under the seats of roughly every 6-7 rows, with a couple of rows fully occupied by amps, band equipment etc...
Lots of fat cables running through the cabin, all tied together leading to a big transformer strapped into the fwd galley where a oven/can would go.

Power supply was directly linked to the cockpit 'GALLEY' switch on the overhead panel incase things got a wee bit hot...

2007 YouTube - Mile High Gig (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWNV_DxjCUI)
2008 YouTube - MTV Mile High gig 2008 on 3news (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBUOqJub0cY&feature=related)

TWT
7th Oct 2009, 22:31
All good as long as you don't encounter any CAT :sad:.Fancy a hip-hop artist stage diving into you ?Looks like fun though.

VBPCGUY
7th Oct 2009, 22:37
Cry me a river PAL

Eastwest Loco
8th Oct 2009, 13:33
Does flap asymmetry constitute a no go unserviceabilty?

Hmmmmmmm?? :=:=

Best all

EWL

ozbiggles
9th Oct 2009, 00:35
Maybe, maybe not
But you are for putting stuff like that on here.
Why would you keep something like that anyway, bizarre

The Green Goblin
9th Oct 2009, 01:10
No mate, I don't keep pictures of Fergie on my PC. A quick google will turn out many pictures then link it to pprune with some IMG clips and wolah!

myshoutcaptain
9th Oct 2009, 02:07
a shameless attempt to lift the pprune image of 'licous.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u265/bren0801/fergie-2-gm_l1.jpg?t=1236292092

Enjoy your weekend.:ok:

kellykelpie
9th Oct 2009, 08:21
removed due to poor taste

ROH111
10th Oct 2009, 01:14
Ahhh, finally i've found what pprune has been missing...!

A stirling job myshoutcaptain! :ok:

BigGun
10th Oct 2009, 01:38
Live performance on a plane has been done before

Korn did it a few years ago with battery powered amps and the PA system

cavemanzk
10th Oct 2009, 08:04
Party flights are nothing new! as kiwi engineer12 pointed out.
NZ has been doing them for years
2007 763 AKL-SYD Matri Gras
2009 320 AKL-SYD Mile High Gig
2008 763 AKL-SYD Matri Gras
2008 772 SFO-SYD Matri Gras
2008 320 AKL-SYD Mile High Gig
2008 320 SYD-AKL Fashion Show at 40,000ft
2009 763 AKL-SYD Mile High Gig
2009 A320 SYD-ZQN Winter Fest
2009 772 LAX-AKL Singles Party Flight

teresa green
10th Oct 2009, 10:46
Blimey, to think that in my TAA days I flew the Marybrough Ladies Art and Craft, Writers Group, to Port Headland and NOT one of them looked like that! You lucky bastards!:cool:

7378FE
11th Oct 2009, 00:15
A video of the event is here : [Dipdive] Black Eyed Peas Media BEP Mile High Karaoke Party on Virgin Blue Airlines (http://blackeyedpeas.dipdive.com/media/81737)

Enjoy :ok: