PDA

View Full Version : Where to head next?

Ixixly
7th Oct 2009, 01:16
Hi all,

Well i've been sitting around with my fancy piece of paper telling me I have a CPL with an MECIR for about 9 months now. Have moved at the drop of a hat to Kununurra after being offered a free lift there to try and search out that ever elusive first job and spent over 2 months there hoping for the best with no real results as the season this year was pretty quiet in terms of pilots being hired and I was realistically too far into the dry season!

As such I decided to try and find some sort of balance between civilization and available jobs and landed on Darwin where i've been for the last 4 months trying to gain employment as a pilot without a lot of luck, albeit one small 4 day job which I haven't quite been paid for yet!

I've come to the conclusion that perhaps another change of location is in order to keep with where the jobs are and am hoping that some of the wise hats around here can point out some possible locations and what the prospects are like in the next 6 months or so. I'm considering adding an Instructors Rating to my piece of parchment but am hoping that it won't come to that due in part to money.

I'm considered a hard worker and as mentioned am willing to drop everything at a moments notice to be where I need to be and to tough it out as long as I can see that carrot being dangled in front of me and to travel as far as is required.

Any leads on jobs coming up in the near future or your best bets on where the jobs will be available during the next dry season would be greatly appreciated!

777WakeTurbz
7th Oct 2009, 03:11
Darwin or the West would probably still be your best bet, as soon as airlines and regionals start moving again then things will start moving in GA. From people in the know and recruitment, things should hopefully start picking up late this year/early next.

The way things are, i imagine having an instructor rating will be the best way to get your first job like it used to be a while back, but im not saying you should definitely get it, it all depends on what you can afford to do. A lot of fresh CPLs are getting MECIRs when in my opinion it would be wiser to get an instructor rating and take care of the CIR a little later. Fresh CPLs arent going to need the MECIR initially in most cases anyway.

Sit tight and with luck things should start moving soon enough, and keep your eyes open for jobs on afap.org.au too.

AussieNick
7th Oct 2009, 03:20
my friend I know your pain, took me 7 months to land my first gig. Stick it out here in the topend, rumour has it things will start moving soon and your already in the best place to get that first job.

The Green Goblin
7th Oct 2009, 03:36
Stick it out mate and good things will come.

Only another 4 months until you can hit Kunus for the start of the 2010 season and Kakadu just took on a few blokes although the operators seem to want over 500TT right now (cause they can get it!)

2010 will be a year of correction as there are many blokes waiting around for a start. I think there will be moderate movement next year followed by a period of stagnation. If you are just entering GA you will be there for a while. If you are wanting to get out, next year will be your last chance for a while.

Those that leave GA next year for the Airlines better have a backup plan because the airlines are all hurting from recent events and when the world economy hits the go button again the price of oil will soar. This will not be good for many airlines and I would not be surprised to see a local casualty.

Those already living the dream should consider distance learning and other post graduate options.

solowflyer
7th Oct 2009, 03:50
The up swing is starting to happen as have seen Cathay and South Africa airlines and I thought I saw Tiger as well advertising for crew somewhere recentley. Intrest rates went up yesterday all these are positive signs. It may not happen over night but it will happen. GG Fuel will go up as you said but it is just a fact of life and people will still travel.

The Green Goblin
7th Oct 2009, 03:56
The Airlines and their staff have been subsidizing travel in Australia for over a decade.

You don't see a train or bus ticket changing prices everyday?

Airlines need to think long term and charge the consumer the real cost of travel. If that affects their cash flow and shrinks the business so be it. The staff that are left will enjoy proper wage increases for inflation and the industry will eventually be stronger. What other industries have the type of cash flow an airline does with the minuscule margins that seem to be the norm?

A ticket should be one price to one location and everyone pays the same rate, obviously the cost of business products etc will be greater.

solowflyer
7th Oct 2009, 04:39
You hit the nail on the head GG

Chocks Away
7th Oct 2009, 10:19
Ix (et all those winging mo-fo's out there) get some mungrel about you and have some flare!
Great you've got there and moved as you've said, WHICH is a hell of alot more than the mo-fo's winging on the East Coast have done!
YOU are there!
You are "Johny on the spot"!
YOU are where aircraft are needed to travel as a necessity, so suck it in, be creative... start a business for yourself, work whatever you have to do to get the baked-beans on toast on the table, WHILE you network for jobs coming up.
YES- Network, create contacts & circles of mates, stay in one place and work it, become know as a "serious stayer". Don't move around because you'll be a drifter. By all means keep in contact with Kuntanurra to let them know "you're in the area" and still serious.
What you guys are going through isn't a scratch on what those before you have gone through, so stick it out because I can tell you first hand, you will be so much the better for it... and it will stand out!

GG, sorry to say you're way out of touch with post 4.
The Industry has turned around and majors are looking right now.
China is back on double digit growth already and 5 USA Airlines just reported major positive increases in Pax numbers!
Comb the recruitment websites for jobs going right now and you will see a big shortage.
Australian Regionals and Airlines (bar Tiger) have been reluctant to admit their very poor management of staffing levels and poor recruitment foresight & planning ahead.
I know of many majors about to ramp up their recruiting, which very quickly occurs through GA in remote places like Darwin.
Get yourself know (as a good bloke that shouts a beer and that's a stayer), have a laugh and enjoy the Top End, while watching

atwonline.com
peanuts.aero/low_cost_airline_news/
flightglobal.com
air-scoop.com
aeromorning.com
shephard.co.uk

Ther you go... you got some of my Gold nuggets right there. Use them. Be smarter, be more up to date and educated so you can make informed decisions and know whats going on but above all: keep smiling and Happy Landings, as the Indos say.:ok:

Ixixly
7th Oct 2009, 11:20
Heh, should have mentioned folks that i have definitely dug in my heels here, got a place and a good steady job, so its not like i'm running low on money and/or ideas!

I have originally planned to wait it out liked most of you have recommended so i've set roots here, was just putting out some feelers to see what else is out there and make sure i'm making the best decision I can with all the info available to me!

Appreciate all the responses folks. Was pretty sure I was going to stick it out so will consider to do so until I get a better deal somewhere else. Thanks for all the responses, keep'em coming, I can only make a decision based on what information I have after all!

SenatorGA
8th Oct 2009, 01:17
GG

I agree with your comments to a certain extent with regards airline pricing and subsequent small margins that follow as a result.

However, in reagrds to:

[QUOTE] "You don't see a train or bus ticket changing prices everyday?"

IMHO I cannot see this ever being possible whilst there is a significant competition in the market place. There is generally speaking only one train operator that services their routes as well as one bus company that services Government contracted routes. Therefore, they have the luxury of charging a set fee and making set margins. These modes of transport can predict their costs with greater accuracy and may not be subject to to the same dramatic fluctuations in fuel and maintenance costs that an airline is.

It would seem then for an airline to contend in a market place with signficant competition and a requirement to get punters on seats they would have to do all sorts of creative things with their pricing models.

That is a very basic look at it as I am sure managing the pricing of an airline would be a very complex business, especially in these times, whilst I would imagine that bus and train operators would do very well.

AutopilotEngage
8th Oct 2009, 04:32
Just out of curiousity, when's the best time to be up in Kununurra if your on the job hunt?

I'm aware you need to stay put there for however long it takes, just wondering around about when is the best time?

Thanks in advance

Aerohooligan
8th Oct 2009, 23:26
Mate, it's nearly time. I give it another 3 1/2 to 4 months - I got my gig in Feb. Stick it out, if only because I need someone to split rent with! =P

In all seriousness I reckon you've done the right thing basing yourself up here. Remember aviation is a game of 'hurry up and wait'. They always said the first job is the hardest to get and the hardest to keep.

You deserve a break. It'll come. In the meantime, you have two options to enhance your chances: prayer, or vile sex-acts performed for work. :}

Colonel Braddock
18th Oct 2009, 00:37
Hello Fellow Aviators.

I am looking for a job at the moment and I have a CPL, MECIR, Instructor and ATPLs. I am thinking of joining a regional or even better would be FO on a corporate/private jet. I have glass cockpit time on a C172 and C182RG. What would be a better type rating to get; a SAAB, Dash-8 or Citation ? I know REX have the SAAB and Qlink have Dash-8, so maybe they would be better to get ?

I think that after doing a few months of instructing and working in a 2 crew environment I would be able to get my head around a regional or jet. I don't really want to go back out to remote areas like cairns again, prefer to stay closer to home. I'm just keen to get the next job, been out of work for 2 months.

Any ideas would be appreciated..... :ok: Safe Flying.

Cap'n Arrr
18th Oct 2009, 00:41
Obvious troll is obvious

777WakeTurbz
18th Oct 2009, 00:50
Wow, i didnt think anyone could write a more blatant windup... :}

Capt Fathom
18th Oct 2009, 00:54
Best laugh I've had all day!

Line Captain on a glass cockpit C182RG in that remote FNQ city of Cairns! :}

The Green Goblin
18th Oct 2009, 01:52
Everyone is hiring with a vengeance right now fella. So go get your endorsements and I'm sure with an attitude like that you'll be snapped up in seconds. Expect to be given upgrade training before years end and an offer of employment from Qantas with a start date within the decade.

Great windup :)

AnyGivenSunday99
18th Oct 2009, 02:15
Colonel,

Step 1 - Remove hand from flesh coloured wand...

mr_yozzie
18th Oct 2009, 11:10
Hey mate,

I think you need to be a bit more realistic about the situation. We all would love an FO job on a corporate jet but that just ain't gonna happen, unless you have thousands of hours or your family owns one!

It's good to have high goals to aim for, just be careful about setting them too high. How many hours total do you have? Also is the ATPL you spoke of just the theory subjects or the actual licence?

In answer to your endorsement query... If you have money to burn, go ahead and get the endorsements, just make sure you're under no illusions that having that endorsement will entitle you to a job on that type, you need hours and experience. I am assuming however that you have minimal hours as you have only flown the 172 and 182, if you do have thousands of hours, I apologise and wish you all the best. If you don't...can I suggest getting a twin endorsement and some twin hours under your belt.

We all have dreams of grandeur mate, just be careful you don't let that get in the way of realism. Best of luck buddy.

206greaser
18th Oct 2009, 14:17
Mr Yozzie it's a windup mate (he says while patting him on the back).

Back on point. With all these rumours of big boys recruiting again, has there been any sign of movement picking up around centre's such as Darwin, or Cairns?

Cheers,
Greaser.

Mr. Hat
18th Oct 2009, 23:31
There was a thread with a heap of locations a while ago. Do a search on GG or myself.

Other than that start buying "Country Life" newspapers and similar to check the classefieds section for cattle station jobs. You ar ein the NT and let me tell you there are lots of little planes with your name on them its just all about finding them.

Have faith it will happen.

bushy
19th Oct 2009, 00:35
I once recieved a job application from a man who had a Boeing 737 endorsement. He told me he had "purchased" 300 hours of 737 time from an asian airline, but was rejected after he completed it.
I needed someone to fly light piston engined aircraft.
The colonel could be the victim of spin from a slick flying school, or it could be a windup.
I've seen ex military helicopter pilots who expected the airlines to all come begging them to fly for them.
Realism is not common in aviation.

MyNameIsIs
19th Oct 2009, 00:57
I'd love to go to a "remote area like cairns"...

Bugger me that would be paradise.

Currently, 1 shop, 1 pub....... all overpriced. Minimal white chicks. Loving life :sad:

Ix, i'll happily palm you my job just as soon as i find another. Don't worry though, its multi time!
Just stick it out and make yourself known. By some beers for the guys you get to know in the companies you are targeting; when they hear said company is looking they will know you are a good bloke and be top of the list. Have a bit of hope, you'll be right!

Colonel Braddock
19th Oct 2009, 02:07
Mr y, thanks for your reply and honeststy.
to the others your slurs dont help and is probably why you are still flying turbo props in your 30's. my career is on track and there is no harm in setting your goals high. my last instructor said that I was one of his best and that I would go places fast.
to the other positive replies thanks in advance
salute
the colonel

highflyer87
19th Oct 2009, 05:03
Colonel Braddock

You have to realise the difference between goals and expectations. I'd say 80-90% of pilots have the goal of going to the airlines, so you are no different in this area.

But what you have to realise is you are at the bottom of the food chain, there are plenty more experienced and qualified pilots out there waiting for airlines to start hiring again. And I guarantee they will get employed before you, no matter how bad you want it.

The only way you’re going to be able to jump in a turboprop after your initial training is through a cadetship these days.

Otherwise you will have either instruct, or go single engine charter like the rest of us.

P.S. don’t slag other experienced people on this forum as they have worked alot harder than you probably ever will. They and I just took offence to your ignorance of the industry....

Aerozepplin
19th Oct 2009, 07:18
Monsieur le Commandant,

If you are serious and not a wind-up (covering my ass there) may I recomend spending some time lurking in this forum as I have. It's given me a far more mature outlook on the industry and the effort required to get even a single engine job.

Thems peoples here be knowin' a thing or two.

But I hope you're not for real, because that'd be funnier!

The Green Goblin
19th Oct 2009, 07:47
Mr y, thanks for your reply and honeststy.
to the others your slurs dont help and is probably why you are still flying turbo props in your 30's. my career is on track and there is no harm in setting your goals high. my last instructor said that I was one of his best and that I would go places fast.
to the other positive replies thanks in advance
salute
the colonel

There is a reason why some guys are flying turboprops in their 30's.......It's a pay cut to fly a jet! :ugh:

I'm assuming your flight instructor was a grade 3 on a casual/subcontracting rate and fed you what you wanted to hear to get your repeat business?

Sharpen up buddy or the boys and girls will make mince meat of you in this small industry and the only jet flying you'll be doing is at home on flight sim while the 'real' pilots are having a ball in GA.

solowflyer
19th Oct 2009, 10:21
"my last instructor said that I was one of his best and that I would go places fast."

My mum said that to me as well :D

j3pipercub
19th Oct 2009, 10:30
Col.

Love ya work, you're my hero. I wish I could be more like you...Glass 172 time, make sure you put that in your resume, it'll be a quicker upgrade to command if they know you have glass time...And that 'two crew' instructional time. That's comedic GOLD!!!!

In my 30's and flying a turbo-prop, not yet but hey, it ain't that bad, At the moment I can't find a job that pays as well in the

"actual time at work vs amount I get paid" department...

Cue WannabeQF anytime now...

But more than likely, Probationary Poster, gotta be a wind-up, PLEASE DEAR SWEET BABY JESUS LET IT BE A WINDUP!!!!!!!:{:{:{:{:{:{:{

j3

Cypher
19th Oct 2009, 10:37
Urgh.. why do you bother with wind ups..?!?

It's just too damn easy on the pprune...
Theres just no fun in it anymore....
:ok:

the air up there
19th Oct 2009, 11:08
so anyways. W**kers aside. Stick with the tried and true path and there will be jobs. It may take longer than it did in the recent past to land that first job, but it will happen if eventually.

Sad thing is, that wasn't even a good wind up. I'm going to go re-read the Oxford thread.:}

777WakeTurbz
19th Oct 2009, 11:10
Come on! You have to pay points for the sheer balls it took to make it so obvious, and then come back and stick to his story! :}

the air up there
19th Oct 2009, 11:16
777, i think coming back and sticking to his story is just the product of a bored mind.

Mr. Hat
19th Oct 2009, 11:43
PLEASE DEAR SWEET BABY JESUS LET IT BE A WINDUP!!!!!!!

and this had me in stiches.

Sharpen up buddy or the boys and girls will make mince meat of you in this small industry and the only jet flying you'll be doing is at home on flight sim

and this is what i was thinking but gg wrote it.

A good wind up though always a good laugh.

Colonel Braddock
19th Oct 2009, 23:59
Thanks to all the positive replies (None!!) It wasn't only my instructor who said I would go places fast, my dad is senior QF captain and he also said I have the ability, attitude and highly above average skills to make it. I have done my remote area time (those who have been up to FNQ will understand) and now I am just looking for that next step, I've got 53.7 hours before I will get into Qantas, So I am waiting on a few turbo-prop jobs to fill the void and get some more turbine time before my interview. Should find out about one of these jobs before the end of the month.

Like i use to say to my students..... "get out there and put on your CV, some 2 crew instructional time, some remote area work in harsh conditions, the right attitude and do what you EVER you can to get a job and you won't be stuck in a turbo-prop after your 30, you will go places fast".

Hopefully some of you negative people out there can maybe smile once in a while and I don't appreciate my life being called a wind up. I love what I do and I know I am good at it, because more than one person has said so. Thank you for "trying" to help anyway. :ugh: I'll make sure to remember all your names when I am sorting through your CV's at QF.

Cap'n Arrr
20th Oct 2009, 00:26
I'll make sure to remember all your names when I am sorting through your CV's at QF.

Bugger.... I'll have to legally change my name from Cap'n Arrr now before I apply for QF

j3pipercub
20th Oct 2009, 00:40
Col.

You are a classic. Probationary Prooner too. Great wind-up. Just fantastic stuff, really. Best one we've had in a while. Keep up the good creative work.

j3

CazbahKid
20th Oct 2009, 00:57
Comedy gold.

Captain Nomad
20th Oct 2009, 01:31
..and you won't be stuck in a turbo-prop after your 30

This seems to be a re-occurring thought of yours... FYI: THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH TURBO-PROPS!!!

(and yeah, I know it's a windup...) :E

the air up there
20th Oct 2009, 01:34
Your dad said your good. What about mum?

Aerozepplin
20th Oct 2009, 02:44
I think the flaw in the story is that a person with a senior captain for a dad wouldn't be wanting to jump from that fancy Garman 172 into a 777 because said father would have given him a severe beating for even suggesting it. :ugh: (this being a visual representation of a wall related beating)

No junk male
20th Oct 2009, 03:02
Thanks Colonel, you have provided a very entertaining read.

I wish you luck in the future, but hey, you dont need any luck from me, do you? :rolleyes: You've got it all planned out.

Maybe I'm just jealous .....

CazbahKid
20th Oct 2009, 07:37
PPRuNe membership levels are shooting through the roof!

dude65
20th Oct 2009, 07:56
It's a shame that the Colonel has turned what was an interesting read into a farce.

Good one sport

777WakeTurbz
20th Oct 2009, 08:47
Aerozepplin - Might not be a flaw, his dad might be the product of the Q cadets and never conducted REAL aviation in GA? :hmm:

Still, a very amusing read. Windups are fun! :ok:

Ixixly
20th Oct 2009, 14:43
Ahh yes, they teach you all about drift during your training, but they seem to keep forgetting to teach people about THREAD DRIFT!!

lilflyboy262
20th Oct 2009, 22:00
Senior Captain in QF? Wow. A head of HR might be a bit more of a help to you. Since they do the recruiting and all. Not the pilots.

One other piece of advice. Don't start throwing crap back at people that tell you it can't or won't be done. Suck it up, and carry on. It makes you look like a baby throwing its toys out of its cot.
These guys have been around the block.

Just a quick question though. What is your actual total time? Do you have any twin experience? IFR experience? How old are you?
Just remember they dont fly them turboprops around VFR very often.....

I do wish you all the best. But you are going to need more than your dad and instructor telling you that you are good. You need to be exceptional.

Your going to need to fly that 172 inverted and backwards with a engine/instrument failure on a ILS approach with cloud down to minimums to stand out above the guys that have a lot more experience than you on aircraft that are way more complex and faster than what you are used to.

I just dont think you realise the step up thats involved in flying some of these twins.

P.S. I would rather fly a King Air over a Boeing/Airbus any day of the week.

Towering Q
21st Oct 2009, 03:17
Colonel Braddock, quite an imagination you have....ever considered becoming a writer for Home and Away?

Pinky the pilot
21st Oct 2009, 03:52
Stop feeding the troll you lot!:mad: Otherwise an otherwise helpful thread may be subjected to the sound of a padlock being applied, going on past experiences on these boards.

Ixixly, Some pretty good advice for you in amongst the feeding frenzy.:ok:

eternity
23rd Oct 2009, 04:05
Col.

Thanks for the read.
Sometimes doing aeromed based out of the middle of nowhere can get you down.

Your last post just put a smile on my face.

Thanks mate

Hope to see more:ok::ok::ok::ok:

Alex 009
23rd Oct 2009, 12:01
P.S. I would rather fly a King Air over a Boeing/Airbus any day of the week.

That makes two of us then. A 350 would be nice:}

hueyshuffle
17th Dec 2009, 09:22
Two months and no further gems from the Colonel? Perhaps he is too busy with his 777 type rating? I think we all want to hear more about what he's been doing and where we belong...hilarious!

clinty83
17th Dec 2009, 20:10
Hi all,

Well its nearly xmas, I've just racked up long service at my current job which I'll cash in when I leave. As usual I was a fingers crossed I'll get into a Cadetship bloke but have since realised some of the best years you'll look back on will be GA.

I am wondering if any of you are in the know, I'm getting the usual "we need at least 500hrs" speal from most operators. I'd dearly love to fly Airwhitsunday Beavers. I have a amphib beaver ticket but zip experience on the type.

I'd also love to fly GA8's off the beach for Airfraser but again 500hrs is required. Does anyone have any contacts with these 2 operators? or does anyone have any other suggestions that may help pull the proverbial rabbit out of the hat?

My exp.

310hrs TT
MECIR
2 ATPL's

Cheers

Horatio Leafblower
17th Dec 2009, 20:56
Do Alligator still operate floaties?

You need to get that first job - bugger off to KNX, dig in, and market yourself :ok:

j3pipercub
17th Dec 2009, 21:25
From what I have heard Air Whit are a fantastic company to work for.

Air Fraser, Caveat Emptor.

j3

clinty83
18th Dec 2009, 03:22
They look very professional. I've had applications in there for a while but can't crack that nut. Dave macfarlane is the cp and a very nice bloke. Now I'm gonna bite whAt does caveat emptor mean? They not much chop?

j3pipercub
18th Dec 2009, 05:15
Buyer Beware...

Colonel Braddock
18th Dec 2009, 06:04
The Colonel still guards his post,
however somewhat disturbed at the slander and mockery of a young dedicated and promising aviator by those cornered in GA, who find it appropiate to vent their on going frustration on pprune := . I honestly believed pprune was a special place where fellow aviators could swap flying adventures to inspire people like myself to succeed. I have been busy advancing my career at the pace it deserves and soon will have some crazy ( but within the rules) stories to share with my First officers. But dont worry I will not give up on you all and when time permits I will update you all on my next exciting endevour. :ok:

Salute
Colonel Braddock

Aerozepplin
18th Dec 2009, 07:10
I call it the "Spruce Moose", and it will carry two hundred passengers from New
York's Idyllwild Airport to the Belgian Congo in seventeen minutes.

Get in...

Super Cecil
18th Dec 2009, 07:50
Colonel, that's great. Good to see you progressing at the rate one as gifted as you should. When you do get time most here (Not the negative whingers) would love to hear how the short march to the "Ultimate" job and becoming a captain has progressed. Some of us lesser mortals will never achieve what you have done in such a short time. Your quick climb through the ranks is an inspiration to all, we do salute you. Keep up the good work.

Pinky the pilot
19th Dec 2009, 00:39
Of course! It's the School holidays again.:ugh::rolleyes:

Super Cecil
19th Dec 2009, 01:38
So your in year 12 next year then Pinky? :8

Super Cecil
19th Dec 2009, 21:55
Pink's, I'd rather have a mental age of a school age kid than be an old fart. Some people are old before their time, you one of those?

777WakeTurbz
19th Dec 2009, 23:10
I have heard whispers that QF will be offering the Colonel a direct entry captains position early in the new year. Highly unusual as it may be, they have decided to open this position due his exceptional talent, his remote area experience, the fact that his daddy said he was awesome and mostly, the fact he can share his experiences of the time his G1000 screen flickered and he had to sweat on returning to those old out-dated analog instruments when there was a cloud around that he nearly flew into! Congratulations Colonel Braddock!! :D:D:D:D

Since I have passed on the good news to the Colonel, I would like to hear how Ixixly has been traveling...