PDA

View Full Version : Who should I fly with!?

EGNH
6th Oct 2009, 13:31
Afternoon,

I am going to Miami in November and the cheapest carriers that are coming up are Delta, AA and Virgin.

My route options are:

Delta: Manchester - Atlanta - Miami (Same return)

AA: Man - Chicago - Miami (Same return)

VS: MAN - LHR - Miami
VS Return: Miami - JFK - LHR - MAN

Changing does not really bother me so on experience which is the best route to fly (i.e stop over airports that are nice and easy to negotiate!) and which airline would you say operates the best in air service for pax?

Thanks in advance.

Any other suggestions let me know!

EGNH.

dada
6th Oct 2009, 13:50
DUNNO, but vs always seem good.
p.s why aren't you egnm?

EGNH
6th Oct 2009, 13:54
EGNH my place of birth (not literally)

Johnny F@rt Pants
6th Oct 2009, 14:22
Out of those I'd go with AA. My parents went Delta last year, on the way home their flight to Atlanta was delayed due to poor weather in Atlanta and they missed the transatlantic flight:\. Delta did nothing for them in Atlanta, they were left high and dry to orgainse themselves for the night till their flight the next afternoon:=:sad::=. My in-laws however went AA through Chicago. On their way home they too were late getting to Chicago, again due to bad weather and missed their transatlantic flight:uhoh:. AA had everything there for them on arrival in Chicago, hotel reservations, food credits transfers:D:D.

So no contest in my eye's even if AA were a bit dearer.

spannersatcx
6th Oct 2009, 14:31
Why no go VS MAN-MCO vv?

Johnny F@rt Pants
6th Oct 2009, 19:29
Because he wants to go to Miami:ugh:.

That suggestion is like telling someone that want's to visit Manchester to fly to London:confused:.

spannersatcx
7th Oct 2009, 11:26
Well I'd rather do a 4hr leisurely drive to Miami from Orlando than the 4 hrs it will take to check in at MAN get to LHR change terminals at LHR and go throrough security a couple of times in the UK, but hey that's just me, I guess I'll refrain from making suggestions in the future. :ugh:

boe777
7th Oct 2009, 13:14
spannersetcx,

What a wonderful Idea.... such a nice drive on I4 all the way to maimi, and MCO has one of the most nicely organized rental pick ups and drop offs..

Johnny F@rt Pants
7th Oct 2009, 14:06
Well it's an additional cost for one thing. It might well be a nice drive, but if you don't need a car by arriving in MIA then it adds to the total cost incurred. By the way have you tried US Airways via Philadelphia, they are usually very competitive on price.

raffele
7th Oct 2009, 16:43
Only thing I'll say about AA is they're pretty good at not getting your bags through your connections. Something to bear in mind - you'll get there, your bags might not for a few days...

Malaysian28
15th Oct 2009, 10:43
Hmmm, If you where to fly with one of the US carriers you would have to Clear US customs at ORD or ALT and re-check you bags in (Which is Long)

If you where to Go with VS all the Terminal Changes, re-checking in and going through Security at Heathrow is quite a challenge.
At my time a AA when people have come of connecting Oneworld (BA) flights from other terminals and found Heathrow difficult to navigate and missed connections with us at Terminal 3.

However I do like the sound of the Drive from Orlando.

Malaysian28.
(I hope I made Sense)

Avman
15th Oct 2009, 15:21
Personally, I'd take the ATL option. Been there and done it. Do, however, give yourself at least 2.5 - 3 hours transfer time (inbound from Europe) to be comfortable. You will clear immigration & customs at ATL and then immediately recheck your bag through to final destination. Then it's a simple short train ride to your terminal and gate. On arrival MIA you are a domestic arrival and soon on your way. Transfer time for the return need only be about 1.5 hours (again, to be comfortable). Your bag will be checked all the way through from MIA to MAN.

Papa Sierra
16th Oct 2009, 22:31
Although not my favourite airline I would fly Delta just to avoid either JFK or Chicago! May be doing them an injustice but I've had very unpleasant transits through both places, involving lost luggage on the 2nd sector and miserable Border/Immigration officials. Agree with Avman ATL is fairly painless.

Phileas Fogg
16th Oct 2009, 23:10
Don't know what prices you're getting with the others but swiss.com , MAN/ZRH/MIA, can be good on price and cabin service excellent.

ConstantFlyer
17th Oct 2009, 20:17
A couple of other interesting options:

Air Berlin flies DUS-MIA with (ex-LTU) A-330s
Air Europa does Tenerife (North)-MIA also on an A-330You can probably get cheap connections from LBA/MAN to DUS/TFS. Maybe go one way come back the other??!!

Leezyjet
18th Oct 2009, 22:28
Why is the VS return MIA-JFK-LHR-MAN ?.

Surely there should be the option to do the MIA-LHR-MAN route on the return ?.

If you where to Go with VS all the Terminal Changes, re-checking in and going through Security at Heathrow is quite a challenge.

Not it isn't. It's a simple bus ride from T1 or T5 (depending if you fly BD or BA) to T3 if you are on the same ticket with bags through checked. You would only need to collect your bags and re-check in if you book on 2 separate tickets.

If you are capable of following signs it is perfectly simple to transit at LHR. I find that most of the problems arise from people who are unable to read signs in English and don't even know what airline or flight they are travelling on, so end up in the wrong terminal or at the wrong gate.

:)

Malaysian28
19th Oct 2009, 08:44
If you are capable of following signs it is perfectly simple to transit at LHR. I find that most of the problems arise from people who are unable to read signs in English and don't even know what airline or flight they are travelling on, so end up in the wrong terminal or at the wrong gate.
Well I had in the past a group of Americans arriving on British Airways from Dubai at T5 and they had 2 hour gap to connect with their American Airlines flight with us at T3, they ended rocking up at checkin just as the flight was pushing, so they started complaining that Heathrows to Complex. Other passengers have said a similar thing, just thought I mention it

But you are true saying most people are unable to read english or dont know their flight/terminal/gate but their are a few who do but still get lost/run out of time.

Capot
19th Oct 2009, 17:11
p.s why aren't you egnm?

The real reason is that his keyboard has no 'm'; hence the missing 'm' in the thread title.