PDA

View Full Version : William Reid VC

Kiting for Boys
7th Dec 2001, 22:09
From The (Glasgow) Herald, clearly a brave and modest man.

THIS week saw the funeral of William Reid VC in Crieff. Bill's passing reduces to just 20 the number of men alive around the world who hold this highest award for courage.

Many people in the town were surprised to learn that Bill held the Victoria Cross. Stories of his unfailing modesty were told throughout the eulogies, perhaps the most amazing being that his wife was not told of his VC until after they were married.

Bill's gentle nature and modesty were recognised by many speakers.

Air Chief Marshal Sir Andrew Wilson, after recounting the details of the seriously injured Bill's route through a hail of attack to drop his bombs, explained that when he once told Bill how he had travelled by a particular local road to visit him, Bill said: "Oh, I never use that road. It's far too dangerous."

The church was packed with a mixture of local people and RAF dignitaries. I found myself sitting behind a squadron leader. An air commodore and an RAF equery to the queen sat behind me, alongside local people. All around were elderly men, proudly wearing the tie of the Aircrew Association, of which Bill had been vice-chairman.

Sitting alongside Bill's family was John Cruickshank VC, a lifelong friend of Bill and of his wife Violet, and now the sole surviving holder of the Victoria Cross in Scotland.

The service was about Bill Reid the man, rather than Bill Reid the Victoria Cross, but it was impossible to avoid the realisation that we were mourning one of a rapidly diminishing number of these great men, as well as the friend, neighbour, husband, father, and grand-father that Bill was.

As people filed out of the church after the service, the Reid family spoke personally to everyone in attendance. RAF personnel and ATC cadets lined the driveway on to the road as Bill's cortege prepared for his final journey.

With precision timing, four Tornado aircraft of Bill's famous 617 Squadron approached at low level, overflying the church in diamond formation.

Precisely as they passed over the church, the rearmost aircraft peeled off into a vertical climb and powered upwards into the clouds.

Although it was all too soon lost from sight in the low cloudbase, for almost a minute the crackling roar of its engines thundered down into the silence below, in a powerful farewell to a brave colleague. Many onlookers were visibly stunned by this rare gesture of respect for a very special man.

In a week where TV and newspapers have been consumed by accounts of the death of a "heroic" musician, we have lost one of the real heroes of our time.

William Reid VC personified the bravery and sacrifice of an entire generation. We shall seldom see his like again.

William Reid VC, bomber pilot and agricultural adviser; born December 21, 1921, died November 28, 2001.

More at http://www.chapter-one.com/vc/award.asp?vc=1036
and http://www.lexicom.ab.ca/~nanton/s,95_2reidvc.html

kippermate
7th Dec 2001, 23:42
You don't get many of them to the pound. A brave man.

Wee Jock
8th Dec 2001, 01:51
Just read the links, amazing bravery for a man just 21 years old. RIP.

ACORN
8th Dec 2001, 13:27
Humble!

Genghis the Engineer
9th Dec 2001, 03:27
I saw his obituary in the Telegraph, cut it out, and passed it around the office.

A remarkable man, those who knew him must have been privileged.

G