PDA

View Full Version : FILTON

pipertommy
5th Oct 2009, 17:20
Filton airport expansion info?

Hi, does anyone have information on the new filton west site under construction? I believe it to be part of GKN group.
Is this joined to the airport boundary ?
Thanks.

MerchantVenturer
5th Oct 2009, 19:10
According to local news reports 'Filton West' is actually at Severn Beach, about five miles away.

GKN Aerospace took over the wing component manufacturing assemblies of Airbus UK at Filton last year and also announced a global centre of excellence in composite aircraft wing structures to be sited in two units of the Western Approach Distribution Park at Severn Beach.

Parts of the wing for the A350 will be manufactured at Filton West and eventually 250 new jobs will be created there.

A section of the main Filton site was sold off for housing development some time ago.

I emphasise I have no direct knowledge and this post is based on local news reports.

pipertommy
6th Oct 2009, 11:03
Well I hope they expand in Filton also.
Thanks PT

pipertommy
7th Oct 2009, 20:48
I wondered if anyone else on here has info on what exactly is happening with Filton Airport? Is it secure for the future? Any signs of development to offset all those homes being built on the north side?

Thanks PT

xtypeman
7th Oct 2009, 20:57
PT we need to get you back working at a proper airport! For Filton think of what has been said about Hawarden on the other network you are registered on.........

XT

pipertommy
7th Oct 2009, 21:06
Totally understand that no commercial flights will take place, just hoping with the large chunk of airfield sold off for housing development that it stops at that.

Will Filton be around in a few years time?