PDA

View Full Version : HKCAD: Air routes revamp may cut travel time

Runway101
4th Oct 2009, 13:11
RTHK English News (http://www.rthk.org.hk/rthk/news/elocal/news.htm?elocal&20091002&56&616607)

Eight million aircraft passengers a year are set to benefit from improved flight paths over Hong Kong in the coming year. The move will also mean that airlines will save money on fuel - and cut pollution. Those benefiting could arrive 14 minutes earlier than now. They'll mostly be on flights from the mainland, Southeast Asia, Europe and the Middle East. The benefits are possible because controllers and airlines are now all using satellite global-positioning systems.

Any idea what they are talking about and if this affects local airspace?

Runway101
4th Oct 2009, 14:04
OK, found something myself. Excuse the dust.

http://www.hkatc.gov.hk/HK_AIP/supp/A16-09.pdf

bigjames
5th Oct 2009, 00:11
Actually as the official release posted by Runway101 shows, this news has been out for some time. i just don't know why the press picked up on it this weekend.

What is really disappointing is how it was reported in the SCMP and on the TV news. They had arrival routes pointing at 90 degrees to the runway, no real analysis of the approaches to the different runways, ie 07 or 25 etc. (the difference between Siera 5A and Siera 5B for example).

in any event, how is Siera 5B a shorter track? most of the time it seems to me (and i am not a pilot...yet!) aircraft track direct from siera to TD for the approach to 25.

HEALY
5th Oct 2009, 02:21
At least that 15 mins saved coming in from Europe will make our 3 man ULH flights next year seem to go SO much quicker......yay!

Runway101
5th Oct 2009, 08:21
3 man ULH (ultralight?) flight to Hong Kong? Are you serious? I thought they wouldn't let anything private go near the airport (except technical flights) ??

Or is this some airline slang us rotorheads simply don't understand?

LapSap
6th Oct 2009, 02:56
Unfortunately most of the time is not quite good enough for the guys who design the procedures. It has to work in all circumstances.

I reckon we'll still short cut a lot of guys to TD when we're on 25. Don't forget we're on 07 about 70% of the time so the main benefit will be there.

Also its not just the SIERA guys who are shortened. Flights from Thailand and SE Asia gets cut short by about 100 miles on 07 and 60 miles on 25 according to the presentation they gave us. :ok:

bigjames
6th Oct 2009, 07:10
thanks LapSap,

it would have been great if the general public had been given a slightly more "grown up" presentation!

would love to sit in on the meeting where they name these nav points... "oh i know, lets call one donki"!

anyway, i appreciate the insight.