PDA

View Full Version : Officers Club In Paris

Lowkey
7th Dec 2001, 12:51
Has anyone ever stayed at the French Officers Club in Paris. If so what is it like, where is it located and what is the price. Thanks for any info

lightbob
7th Dec 2001, 13:02
I have stayed there a couple of times. Very good value for money - rooms (then) were about Fr4-500 as against Fr800ish for 3* hotels. Very comfortable, excellent breakfasts - but go out for lunch and dinner!! Located a short walk from Gare St Lazaire on Bd Hausmann (phonetic spelling). Underground carpark next door for Fr160 per day if you feel brave enough to drive around Paris. Known as Cercle d'Armee. Book by phone, you will have to produce an ID card but, unlike the USA, no need for 'TDY Orders'. Had the phone number but not with me.

The Mistress
7th Dec 2001, 14:09
Can thoroughly recommend it. We had a suite which included beige marble bathroom and a view of the Eiffel Tower.

The staff were friendly and didn't seem to mind my daughter doing cartwheels through the posh reception lobby :)

Easy walking distance to many famous areas.

1.3VStall
7th Dec 2001, 16:16
It's actually Le Cercle National des Armees,
tel +33 (0)1 44 90 26 26. Great value if a little quaint. It also offers a reciprocal deal for retired officers who are members of the RAF Club.

Hope this helps.

Ali Barber
7th Dec 2001, 17:15
We stayed there a few years ago. Took the Eurostar to Paris and taxi to the Club. Excellent service - man came running out to take our bags from the taxi, unlike the RAF Club. Deal was bed only, but breakfast was available in your room only, not in any of the dining rooms; just fill out the list and hang it on your door and it gets passed through a flap in the bottom of the door in the morning. Ask for a room high up, as the view of the Eiffel Tower is stunning. We ate one evening in the Club. Very nice but very pricey - hence only one other couple dining. Better to eat out I think. Try to get hold of the Eyewitness travel guide to Paris, it has some excellent walks, one of which finishes up in the church outside the Club (beware, it takes you in through the back door and we walked in on a wedding!!). Another great old world restaurant is "Roger La Grenouille" on the Left Bank - fantastic home cooking and the decor hasn't changed since the Second World War. The speciality dessert is a good one for the wives/girlfriends - 2 blobs of ice cream with a tower of ice cream and no utensils - make your own mind up.

SET 18
7th Dec 2001, 20:00
I was there earlier this year. It was a nice enough place, if a little different to what we may be used to. The Club in London has better rooms than the one in which I stayed, though the whole place was being refurbished (including the bedrooms) at the time. It has the world's smallest lifts!!
It is located at 8, Place Saint-Augustin, 75008, Paris. The taxi fare from CDG was about £30 which we found to be well worth the money, compared to the hassles of the underground with luggage etc. My wife and daughter and I all shared a room, which was no problem with the club. The nearest underground station is only yards away and is called St Augustin. Reception will supply you with a very handy map which will certainly help you get around. Hope this helps.

Dave Ishall
8th Dec 2001, 00:03
I think it's ten times better than the RAF club in Picadilly. The rooms are comfier and you get more square foot per pound (or square metre per franc) than ours too.

I have, in fact, cancelled my membership to the RAF club as a result - what a waste of money.

Nil nos tremefacit
8th Dec 2001, 00:45
As pointed out above - RAF Club has twinning arrangement. V.important for those of us who are retired.

TM is correct. The suite we had was well worth the money. I have every intention of going again. In terms of the old 'location, location, location' - St Augustin is a very civilised part of town. Only problem was place was full of RAF Fighter Controllers!

Unlike Brit clubs, there is a fencing salle. I wished I'd taken my swords for some quality coaching (any afficionados of RAF Fencing Union will understand). :D