PDA

View Full Version : HKG:Gate Arrival to Leaving Airport within 12 minutes

FairlieFlyer
4th Oct 2009, 06:31
From aircraft (CX A330) arriving at gate 30, exiting plane from economy, clearing customs and being onboard Airport Express train as it departs for Hong Kong itself

even with a little local knowledge allowed, can any other international airport do quicker?

pax britanica
4th Oct 2009, 07:04
As a fairly regualr visitor to HKG I am always impressed by the time from gate to train. Never consciously timed it but I was one in my hotel downtown an hour afetr landing. CLK is most impressive and a model for airports everywhere
PB

Rush2112
4th Oct 2009, 09:36
CLK is pretty good, although immigration has its moments if you are not a resident or frequent visitor card holder.

As a Singapore resident, coming into Changi is a breeze and I am usually in a taxi within 20 - 30 mins of touchdown, even if collecting checked in bags. No matter how quick I try and get to the belt the bags are coming through before I get there - excellent performance!

Next week I have the delights of LHR baggage retrieval to look forward to...

Final 3 Greens
4th Oct 2009, 10:51
Malta International

From arriving at the non Schengen gate to getting into a taxi takes about 5 minutes.

If it's a Schengen arrival, itis faster. I have done it in 3 on a good day.

L'aviateur
4th Oct 2009, 11:38
Humberside with hand baggage? Walk off the plane into a shed and out of the shed!

Seriously though, if your a regular visitor the 'HK Frequent Visitor Card' is excellent. Saves a few extra minutes :-)

WHBM
4th Oct 2009, 19:01
London City, without a doubt. Even from the International side (European), and passing passport control scanning, I have got from aircraft steps to taxi door in 2 minutes (from domestic gate 1, I once made it in 60 seconds).

nicolai
4th Oct 2009, 21:53
Schiphol can be pretty slick when the passport queue is short and the baggage handlers are on good form. Certainly it's very possible to be out on the train within 12 minutes if you didn't check a bag. It's even sometimes possible with a bag. I would say it often takes me only 15 minutes to do that and I check a bag.
Going the other way, a colleague of mine went from the front door of the airport to inside the aircraft in 6 minutes, but that does require online checkin, no hand luggage, and a "Privium" iris scan card to avoid waiting for passport officials. Long legs also help.

firstchoice7e7
5th Oct 2009, 04:57
Ill get slated for this but Heathrow Terminal 1/2/3, only if you have IRIS activated on your passport - extremely quick:ok:

(and i do have lanky long legs, which makes the walk from gate to arrivals v easy)

dubh12000
5th Oct 2009, 09:12
I can get from a "suitable" A Gate into my car in P6 in Zurich in 10 minutes. :}

liteswap
5th Oct 2009, 11:33
I've made it through LGW to the train in 15 minutes, pre-planning involving keeping my bag under the seat rather than in the overhead compartment, grabbing an aisle seat, and using IRIS rather than passport control. Rare though (and of course no checked bags, LGW being renowned in that department!) - and there's nothing you can do if the plane sidles up to gate 101+, which seems to be about 15 minutes' walk over the airbridge to the main terminal.

ThreadBaron
5th Oct 2009, 16:41
We left the Gulf Air Melbourne flight at SIN. Our bags were not on the carousel but we were approached in short time by staff who then took us to the Missing Baggage desk. We received $HK180, having filled in the missing baggage form, and were still at The Ritz-Carlton within 45 mins of exiting the ac.

Bags did the return trip to Melbourne and were delivered to our room the next day.:D

gdiphil
5th Oct 2009, 17:44
Last month I arrived on a BA 747 from Chicago, early landing and although I was arriving in T5 for the first time, from the time of exiting the aircraft, getting on a train, walking for miles, going through immigration and finding my bag waiting for me and walking out to the car park I found I had taken 17 minutes. I was amazed. Had to wait for Mrs gdi, outrageous, how dare T5 get something right!

Seat62K
15th Oct 2009, 06:07
I'm regularly on the metro at Valencia airport in less than 12 minutes.

Diver_Dave
15th Oct 2009, 07:14
Coming in once from Gatwick on the GB airways late flight
I managed 14 minutes from plane to exit, INCLUDING collecting
baggage! Through Passport control, down the escalator and
bags were already arriving.

We just got lucky I guess, although it's the one and only time I've
been able to walk from plane to terminal, we were on the stand right
by the arrivals hall (pre facelift).

Never really had a bad experience there either.

Regards

DaveA

Rush2112
17th Oct 2009, 10:29
This afternoon: landed at Changi from LHR in a 777-300 at gate A13 1445, collected bags, bought duty free and in a taxi by 1508 calling the wife saying put the kettle on love...

spannersatcx
17th Oct 2009, 10:57
I hadn't been to HKG for a while before my last visit in September, I did notice a great improvement on immigration (in & out) much faster, a lot would depend on your arrival time. It can be busy when all the european flts arrive in the morning.

Longest wait was for bags even though, priority business labels, was very slow.

Xeque
17th Oct 2009, 15:28
Nothing special. I've been off the aircraft and into a taxi at Bahrain in about the same time. If you have checked baggage its, obviously, a different matter dependent as that is on the time to unload the stuff and transport it to the point where the baggage carousel begins.
I once did 'arrival to taxi' at Don Mueang in 19 minutes with a bag pickup off the carousel - mine was the second one in line. I was totally blown away by that! Sadly, that's not possible at Suvarnabhumi given the sheer distances one now has to walk.

ZFT
17th Oct 2009, 16:45
Yes it is. Done just that often this past few months (due in part to the collapse of the local tourist industry resulting in a very quiet airport). The immigration seems to have improved out of all recognition with all desks open and even baggage now arrives unbelievably quickly. Without check in bags very, very quick.

Rush2112
18th Oct 2009, 13:04
Yes it is. Done just that often this past few months (due in part to the collapse of the local tourist industry resulting in a very quiet airport). The immigration seems to have improved out of all recognition with all desks open and even baggage now arrives unbelievably quickly. Without check in bags very, very quick.

Even so, it's a fekking long walk from the gate just to immigration!

leewan
18th Oct 2009, 13:33
I did a quality survey for a major baggage handling firm in SIN 6 years ago and their target for the baggage to be in the carousel after a/c chocks on: 12 mins.

strake
18th Oct 2009, 14:40
With handbaggage only on Virgin PAMS or BA Premier, very quick (crew/diplomat speed) at most global gates given you are met at the door of the plane.
Returning to UK, T3 Iris and T5 Iris as long as the queue..which, most times is maximum one or two people.
(Subject to: Move back a little..move forwards a little...move back a little.....)