View Full Version : WOW ! is this the airfield I flew from -Finningley?

Notsonew
1st Oct 2009, 20:03
Took my granddaughter to DSA. 37 miles from the centre of Sheffield That's following the motorway signs exit at J4-Would have gone on to J5 as website suggests but my Polish is not up to it! Went down a country lane found a smart road leading to the terminal and a car park fairly full. A couple were dragging their cases along - no transport to help them.
Thought I would get away with 15 minutes free parking but Costa Coffee took 20 minutes to serve 4 people -jokey though. After that took granddaughter to view aircraft upstairs - or so I thought - no big plate glass window - just a sign to say only those with a boarding pass. Still, as we climbed the stairs it was nice to see a queue waiting to check in their bags - funny they hadn't moved much in 20 minutes and then I saw why -one check in lady - guess which airline. Walked outside to one side and saw just one turbo prop -.
Drove back to Sheffield via Bawtry and Maltby - 25 miles. Paid for ride on Sheffield Wheel - only marginally more than Costa Coffee plus parking fee at DSA . Now grandaughter really came alive as we soared way above Sheffield Town Hall. So did I.
(In case you are wondering -grandaughter was off school on one of those days we used to call a Baker day -teachers discussing how to do things better)

Guest 112233
2nd Oct 2009, 12:36
Its bloody wonderful is'int it. Trips like this can light a spark, leading to a life long interest or career in avation. Even for a 3 year old (Yes talking from experence). Not a chance any more. All you need to round it off is some gun toting goon eyballing the group as a potential threat.

(Ironic: The baddies are acheiving some of their intentions by stealth).

But they are there for our security. Yep. Just like all the fences, security screening points etc. Protection of the public by strangulation of access.

Security, its preventing more than terrorists. It looks OK to the politico's, creates security jobs (Ok) and for some people and the media, a fear of steping outside your own gated security compound.

A shame that there were so few airliners to look at - a bit like BHX in the 1960's. I did that one. "There's a Spantax DC7 tomorrow afternoon."

CAT III