PDA

View Full Version : Survivor

John Nichol
22nd May 2001, 12:18
Not sure if any one is watching this new "reality game show". Or if anyone is interested. But there is a strong military presence in the teams. One of the contestants, Andy Fairfield, is an ex chinook mate and was an incredible source of help and advice in the early stages of the Mull of Kintyre case.

Don't know if you read this Andy, but good luck on the show; if you win the million quid mine's a pint.

massingbird
22nd May 2001, 12:23
Booo! Hisss! Should have got rid of Jackie.

sprucemoose
22nd May 2001, 14:26
Glad to see that "this is what I was born to do" Nick is the first to be voted off. Nothing to do with him being a weekend warrior for the TA though. Oh no.

Agree with JN - good luck to the RAF guys, but I don't think that the programme's going to go 'Lord of the Flies' enough to keep me interested.

kbf1
22nd May 2001, 17:15
Anyone been watching Bootcamp? :) :) :)

Those Yanks crack me up...Yessir sir! thank you Sir!

------------------
The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the Devil's own Satanic HERD!

Tandemrotor
24th May 2001, 00:50
John
I have it on good authority that AF does check this site regularly,and is very grateful for your support. Rumour has it he lost a little weight! But he needed to!
Drinks are definitely on him if the result is right!
Anyone know a good agent?

Low and Slow
24th May 2001, 23:59
What a bunch of poofs! I wouldn't want one of those weak willed, angst-ridden rabbits on CSI's with me. I'm sure that they could coast through CSRO's, (unless it's changed a bit since my day)
They vote off anyone who gets a grip.

Brian Dixon
25th May 2001, 00:22
Tandemrotor,
I've heard that James Bond is quite good!

Brian :)

RoyalRock
26th May 2001, 05:13
Low and Slow maybe not poofs just a case of horses for courses. The contestants are mainly civvies who are giving a new concept their best shot. As you are probably aware the CSI and CSRO courses are targeted at 2 generally different type of student. So lets not be harsh lets just be warm and fluffy and wish the lily-livered wimps all the best!!

Low and Slow
26th May 2001, 12:22
RoyalRock-

How silly of me. I forgot to commune with my inner child, and gave in to the nasty heterosexual male impulse of wanting the kick the Sh*t out of people who value personality over character and ability.

I should of course adore the weak and worthless who are carried by others :)

Profound apologise, OH wise master of the Temple of Catterick :)

Low and Slow
1st Jun 2001, 15:58
Watched again last night. (cos the missus like's it :) )

Still say they are a bunch of poofs.

1. because it isn't physically or emotionaly any tougher than selection for the Army Catering Corps Recce Troop.

2. becasue they slung of the babe. The big gorgeous one. Sort of girl that's useful in a tight spot..... or so I hear.

Mmmmnice
2nd Jun 2001, 00:11
John N: When you say "chinook mate" I hope that's not in the same way you say "H***ier mate", 'cos if it is then you're just showing how much you know about the SH force
- bring on the rest of the instant experts! blah blah.................

extpwron
12th Jun 2001, 01:10
Hey you fixed winged faggots

Which one of you could stand on a log for 23 hours?

Low and Slow
12th Jun 2001, 01:15
Andy: That was a solid display of guts and balls, standing on a log for 23 hours. What a boy.

nosefirsteverytime
12th Jun 2001, 01:23
I hope to God Andy wins it. Here's why:

1. He just goes to show why RAF beats Army or Navy any day of the week > :)

2. He's been to Falklands, and did a damn fine job I've heard.

And thirdly, most seriously and importantly (this is a quote taken from the Survivor website)"The first thing he'd spend the million on is clearing the name of Richard, a friend that was killed in a helicopter crash on the Mull of Kintyre in 1994."

Good luck mate, and stay with it.

(23 hours? that's nothin' for a long-haul pilot!)

[This message has been edited by nosefirsteverytime (edited 11 June 2001).]

Tandemrotor
15th Jun 2001, 04:35
Thanks guys, I genuinely appreciate your interest, and I hope I can (in a very small way) enhance the general public's opinion of flight crew. If in your opinion I don't, I would like to hear that too.

Fly safe!!

John Nichol
16th Jun 2001, 15:33
Anyone know what's happened to the last two episodes? They were advertised in my TV pages but not broadcast.

TURNBULL
16th Jun 2001, 15:39
nosefirsteverytime,
I've known Andy for a long time and hope he wins - but could expand on what you heard about the job he did in the Falklands, I'm intriuged?

The Bonk
16th Jun 2001, 22:15
John,

At the risk of being a sad git and actually liking the programme, it appears the rest of the nation doesn't share the enthusiasm! Therefore, reduced to only one 'chop' programme a week and one debrief programme. However, all the TV papers were printed before this executive decision in TV managerial land was made.

(Don't hold me to it, i'll have to go fifty-fifty or vote myself off as the weakest link!)

[This message has been edited by The Bonk (edited 16 June 2001).]

Brian Dixon
16th Jun 2001, 22:16
John,
I heard that they had reduced Survivor to showing it once a week, with the 'booted one' being shown the following night.

Good Luck Andy!

Brian

nosefirsteverytime
17th Jun 2001, 17:12
Well, turnbull, I'll just be honest in saying that all I heard that he was in Falklands, not of what he did or how well he did it. Erm, got a little carried away with the "bloody good job" bit! :}

sorry for confusing you!

[This message has been edited by nosefirsteverytime (edited 17 June 2001).]

TURNBULL
17th Jun 2001, 19:11
Nosefirsteverytime
You didn't confuse me! Maybe Tandem could set the record straight for you!!!

Natterjack
18th Jun 2001, 03:01
But the show said he is an "airline pilot". Does anyone know with whom he flies and on which fleet?

Overtorque
19th Jun 2001, 00:58
Call me what you will, but I think it's a great show, and I'm just sorry to see Andy go. Pity it's not like Big Brother and that the audience can't vote off the ones that annoy them.

Good luck Andy.

nosefirsteverytime
19th Jun 2001, 01:08
Well, that's it, he's off.
I don't really mind now who wins, long as it's not richard or anyone who "plays the game", so to speak (great to see that some people want richard off too, that self-conscious rat).

Brian Dixon
19th Jun 2001, 01:19
Andy,
you don't need to have a million in your pocket to be a winner as far as I'm concerned. A true gent.

airforcenone
19th Jun 2001, 02:11
Tandemrotor,

Not quite sure I should be on this Forum as my sum total with the military is about 10 hours on the Bulldog, still just wanted to say very well done and greetings from all at BHX!!

It's nice to know there are still some people out there with decent standards.

......remembering a night in the bar at the Thistle a couple of years ago. If I remember rightly, I disappeared upstairs with an opera singer......

All the best,

Stan.

Pub User
19th Jun 2001, 02:40
Natterjack

I believe he's with BA, but I've no idea what he flies.

gijoe
19th Jun 2001, 12:19
Well done Andy for not sinking to the level of some of the others.

There will be some concerned faces as the new 'jury' forms up over the next few weeks.

http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

John Nichol
19th Jun 2001, 12:56
Great stuff Andy, you done good. Who wants to be a millionaire anyway!

angels
19th Jun 2001, 13:07
Well if Tandemrotor is Andy -- bloody bad luck mate.
The a*seholes voted you off because you were a threat.
Your stint on that log was absolutely awesome! Well done, you did yourself proud.
(And if Tandemrotor isn't Andy, please can you pass on my sentiments. Thanks).
Cheers.

Natterjack
19th Jun 2001, 15:59
It's a damn shame he didn't win, but then again it was obvious and was well stated that he was the best most confident member of the tribes and therefore a threat to the others.

A good show Andy!

Hugh Been'ad
20th Jun 2001, 00:41
Bl**dy good effort on the show Andy, the only one so far who has managed to maintain integrity and be a vital team member with it.

I hope it is a worthy member who wins it and it is a shame it wasn't you. Hopefully you will have had a bit of fun (and a good say) whilst you were on the jury.

Look 4'ward to your story tonight

Bag Man
20th Jun 2001, 00:53
Andy

Well done.

Proof that the BEST guy does not always win.

I'll buy you a pint anytime.

Capt PPRuNe
20th Jun 2001, 16:53
Andy, sorry you didn't make the million but well done for showing what a true professional can achieve. It's probably not a comforting thought but at least you were voted off for being the most likely to win.

How about coming to the Christmas GatBash as a guest of honour? Saturday December 15th I believe. InFinRetirement will publish more details soon.

------------------
Capt PPRuNe
aka Danny Fyne
The Professional Pilots RUmour NEtwork

Tandemrotor
22nd Jun 2001, 01:56
Capt PPRuNe

Thanks very much for your kind invitation. I had always intended to get along to one of your bashes, and Christmas sounds great to me. Keep up the good work.

Airforcenone - That opera singer did have great lungs!

airforcenone
23rd Jun 2001, 13:01
She certainly did! (personally checked)

------------------
Helpmyspacebarisbust....

Dunhovrin
23rd Jun 2001, 15:52
Andy,

Well done on your feat of endurance. Not the log (though that was cool and my missus wants to know why I can't do that) but appearing on Richard and Judy and not knocking his pompous block off. I'm suprised he didn't wind up telling you how to fly...

How many flight deck visits did you get on the way to Dubai on Friday?

------------------
Clear above and behind? Ooops I mean white two please, luv.

FL390
25th Jun 2001, 01:33
Andy

WWWWOOOOOWWWW!!!!

Truly astounding performance. Now, what I want to know is how come you were able to get on the show, being very intelligent and a true gent etc, but then you get people like Jackie that seem to be from another planet? I'm sure you all took the same tests and went through the same screening, but the others must have been miles behind you!

Oh well, exceptionally well done m8 and good luck for the future. :)

Paddington
10th Jul 2001, 23:15
Congratulations Andy for getting as far as you did whilst maintaining such professionalism. Obviously we all thought you should have won. Just too good for the others. :(