PDA

View Full Version : Wheels up query?

that chinese fella
1st Oct 2009, 11:43
Hi all,

I am not a Fixed wing pilot so hence my question.

About 2 weeks ago around 8am at YPPH I was hovering holding for separation for a QF767 departing off RWY21 with a left hand turn. As I was given onwards clearance with the usual wake turbulance warning I watched the 767 climb away and it seemed like an eternity before it retracted its gear. I am only guessing but it would have been 3000' ft or more before they were tucked away.

I have absolutely no knowledge of Jet ops, limits or SOP's so this is a genuine question, was what I observed 'normal'?

Cheers

TCF

benharris10
1st Oct 2009, 12:19
http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-general-aviation-questions/387857-jets-leaving-their-undercarriage-down-after-takeoff.html

Hopefully this thread answers your question :ok:

Keg
1st Oct 2009, 13:36
Was it a slow gear retraction- IE one that took a long time after having started not long after take off- or did they leave them down for a couple of minutes after take off. If it's the latter then the thread that benharris is pointing you towards will (eventually) answer your questions.

If it's a slow retraction then it's most probably a Center Air Driven Demand Hyd Pump u/s. You've only got the two electrical ones driving the gear retraction and so both that and the flap retraction are slower than normal. Permissible under the Despatch Deviation Guide. 'Normal'? No. :ok: