PDA

View Full Version : Send the Taliban some speed guns

Tir renrie
14th Nov 2001, 19:20
From GQ

A police traffic patrol were trying out a new radar gun on the A1 in the Scottish borders in an attempt to catch speeding drivers, when they suddenly experienced technical problems with their equipment. As opposed to readings one would normally expect for motorway traffic, the radar gun gave readings of over 300mph, and then refused to work at all. The malfunctioning gun was reset, and nothing more was thought about the matter. That is, until the police were contacted two days later by the Ministry of Defense, who asked if anyone had been using radar equipment in the area two days previously. When the police revealed that they had, a MoD spokesman in turn revealed that the high speeds the police radar gun had picked up was probably the RAF Tornado on manoeuvres in the area, which had not only locked onto the unidentified radar signal and jammed it, but had also armed two anti-radar missiles ready to fire down the beam to destroy the source of the signal. (14 November 2001, AM)

(I seem to remember reading this before, probably in here but couldn’t resist it) :p :p :p :p

SteadyNote
14th Nov 2001, 22:23
You probably read it before in the Beano.

Tir renrie
15th Nov 2001, 13:37
Either there or the Sport
:D

bad livin'
15th Nov 2001, 14:13
Hmmmm...ALARM tooled up GR4s reporting an apparent SAM / Surv threat on the A1....riiiiiiiight. Was this in the same issue as the "bus on moon" miracle?

NEXT!

Per Ardua Ad Asda
17th Nov 2001, 06:35
...saw similar report a couple of years ago, reportedly from Northumbrian Plod (?). I believe it was a Dutch F-16, although the press reported it as a single-seat Tornado :rolleyes:

STANDTO
17th Nov 2001, 13:15
This was posted some time ago and someone who seemed to know a lot more about these things than I do discounted it with the appropriate technical info as Bo887ocks

Still, it is a good yarn