PDA

View Full Version : Renewing UK Medical

Voodoo 3
1st Oct 2009, 04:47
Hi,

I am currently flying outside the UK and EU for that matter. My UK medical expires in the next month and am wondering if it is worth going back to get it renewed. I am not anticipating returning to the UK anytime soon to fly so wouldn't need it. If I ever did decide to come back then surely I could go for another initial at Gatwick for probably the same sort of cost as my AME for my annual renewal. It may be a bit more but if I don't renew for a number of years then the extra cost incured won't be of great issue.

Thanks a lot for your comments, V3:ok:

BoeingMEL
1st Oct 2009, 09:26
My understanding is that your UK medical certificate serves to validate your UK ratings/licences when flying aircraft registered in the UK. Since you appear to have been granted your initial Class 1 by the CAA at Gatwick, subsequent examinations (even after lapses) may be conducted by CAA AMEs. IMHO! Cheers bm:ok:

Dave Gittins
1st Oct 2009, 09:42
I am a PPL but so can only speak from my position. AFAIK, a UK (JAR) PPL is supported by a UK medical. When I have been flying "on the basis of" holding those 2 together and have had either an FAA PPL "or Qatari validaion, I need the two UK pieces if paper together.

I understand that I need "stand alone" FAA or Qatari licenses to support them with local medicals. My UK PPL is still valid but my medical has lapsed so I cannot fly solo, only with an instructor. In Qatar that means pu/t, in the US I can log P1 U/S because I am rated on the aeroplane and the Instructor is in overall command but I cannot fly solo.

UK AMEs are fewer and further between (but are avail in Dubai and Bahrain).

My intention is to get a stand alone FAA PPL as FAA AMEs are easier to come across, an FAA PPL lets me fly G-Reg aeroplanes in the UK (day VFR anyway) if I want to and anyway I spend more time in Colorado than in the UK now.

Voodoo 3
3rd Oct 2009, 12:16
Thanks gents for your replies and info

V3:ok: