PDA

View Full Version : Flylease cadet Sponsorship

flash737
30th Sep 2009, 16:15
Has anybody applied to the new FlyLease cadet part sponsorship deal on Flight International website ? Would like to apply but no PPL yet !

wetfish
30th Sep 2009, 18:25
Hi I’m new to this but does anybody knew about the part-sponsorship
with Flylease?

Thanks

leedspotter
30th Sep 2009, 19:05
Who said the fugly scheme was old fashioned!
Looking at what they are looking for on the advert, I would bet my ferrari ( If I had one ) that this is someone who had dealings with Atlantic's or Atlantiques Cadet schemes once upon a time!
Cadet Pilots - Part Sponsorship - 200581897 - Flight Jobs (http://www.flightglobal.com/jobs/job/cadet-pilots-part-sponsorship-united-kingdom-200581897.htm)

corporate_pilot
30th Sep 2009, 20:05
It costs £65000 with cash upfront...towards a company that is yet to start its operations...:hmm:

superdash
30th Sep 2009, 20:45
£65000 + VAT hmmmmmm and you must have a ppl...suppose being mental would help too

:yuk:

UAV689
30th Sep 2009, 21:19
Quite as risk,giving a new startup company 65k,how many airlines will go under in next 6 months, I bet this one does....

BitMoreRightRudder
30th Sep 2009, 21:43
Yep, it would seem, on the surface of it that this is some positive news for aspiring pilots but I have to agree with those above. I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. 65K not including VAT and you end up on an FI or small turbo-prop wage to pay it off.

On the flip side if it all works out, a great way to start a commercial flying career.

I think you would actually be better off giving your cash to CTC or Oxford and that is really saying something!

Bealzebub
30th Sep 2009, 22:02
Am I the only person just a little bit bothered that their website "contact us" section doesn't contain an address or a telephone number? On the "About us" page it states:
The idea behind FlyLease.com has been created by two former airline captains with a wealth of experience in the charter / leasing sector.

With the introduction of low cost scheduled airlines it is now neccessary to extend this to the charter sector. We plan to offer unbeatable offers to airlines, tour operators & brokers alike whilst still maintaining a very professional service.

Please re-visit our website for details.

Well that is fine then, what more would anybody need to know?

The only firm number they seem to have come up with, is the one for £74,750 that they want on the cheques offered by young inexperienced private pilots. A quick google search would appear to reveal they have/had (?) no AOC, and are/were (?) touting for wet leases from other companies (unbeatable offers?) How might they finance these? Oh yes of course!

Be very careful and be very sceptical.

FlyLease.com, the low cost crew leasing agency is now looking at leasing out aircraft to various clients, we plan to dry lease & obtain AOC in future but in the mean time we want to sublease.

We plan to sublease ATR 42/72, 737-300-900, A319/20/21

Our clients will vary from one off charters to long term leases so we want the best possible "Wet" Lease rates for both scenarios and we`ll then negotiate from there.

Please send your submissions to:

Source (http://avitop.com/cs/forums/thread/7519.aspx)

x933
30th Sep 2009, 23:00
Sensible money says it'll be someone that's been involved with one of the Atlantic/Atlantique/RVL/HWY mob.

Not such a bad idea though. I mean, i've got a bit of experience in the charter market, degree, can cobble together a business plan, and could do with the £65k (who couldn't?). Anyone fancy it? ;)

Zippy Monster
1st Oct 2009, 00:31
From that 'cadet sponsorship' page:

Only Successful candidates will be contactedIt sounds like they think they can afford to be picky. They should be begging for applications! £75k for a course that doesn't even include a PPL?

I would agree that if you're a bit bonkers and absolutely insist on blowing that kind of money on a zero-hero course at the moment, then at least do it with an established school. I wouldn't be committing £75k of my money to a company that is barely even in existence and would appear to expect a bit of slave labour thrown in to boot (I actually find that quite insulting.) I would want to see results, i.e. 'graduates' of the course in permanent employment as promised, before I went anywhere near it.

Cirrus_Clouds
1st Oct 2009, 08:09
Hmmm, I'm staying away from this one!! :ok:

A brand new company, requiring a PPL and £75k, your having a laugh!... as they say. I would rather go modular (opps I am) and take my chances there. I imagine that they are using the well known FTO's around, so the student could continue training if the worst happend to the company - one would hope?

Yes the Type Rating/Line training costs money, but how much are the company themselves going to be providing for this "part" sponsorship, this part is unknown until the interview stage no doubt.

Still there will be the odd person who is willing to risk their hard earned cash on a brand new company being setup with no history what's so ever and IF it does go bust, well only the cadet is then in trouble.

I wonder if they require the £75k upfront or pay as you go, then at least the cadet does have some control over the training.

It may work out fine for them in time, but it's a very expensive way/risk of being guaranteed a job in times like now!!

You can do other routes for a much cheaper option, like companies that offer bonds, where you work for the company for a number of years, for a decreased salary and they help with the finance up front. ... then at least they are taking some of the risk.

The company website if your interested: Home (http://flylease.com/index.html)

b.a. Baracus
1st Oct 2009, 10:40
The company website doesn't really provide much information. Where are they based? There really isn't enough information to go on. Yes, as previously said I would be extremely cautious parting with £75k on an unproven start-up company.

flash737
2nd Oct 2009, 11:23
Just checked the flylease website, theres a new faq section, sum extra info about the scheme.

Who is FlyLease?

FlyLease is the new low cost provider of leasing services in which our clients will mainly consist of other airlines & charter brokers. Although we plan to obtain our Air Operators Certificate (AOC) in due course, this is not necessary for many of the services that we cater for which enables us to start operations without becoming a “traditional” airline as such. The charter industry can be an exciting one, with a huge variety in the type of work performed so any potential employees need to be flexible.

What is the Cadet Part Sponsorship Scheme?

FlyLease knows the importance of keeping loyal & hard working crews to make us thrive in this market, therefore we have introduced the cadet program which allows us to select the bestindividuals for the job.The cost of training cadet pilots can be immense so we have developed the part sponsorship scheme which will enable potential trainee pilots to secure guaranteed employment before the training starts & reduce the total cost of training. The cadet will be required to either fly as a first officer or as a flight instructor in our flight training department. As it takes time to train cadets it is important that we start the program now so that potential cadets will be ready to fly on behalf of FlyLease as soon as possible.

What does the training consist of?

All flight training will normally be completed at our base, however, we may outsource some of the training on occasion to other established flight training organisations.

During the interview stage, we will take into account the cadets preference to either become a first officer or career flight instructor in which FlyLease will assign the roles accordingly before the training program starts.

First officers will complete all the training necessary to gain the frozen ATPL & then progress to the type rating / line training stage on a multi crew aircraft.

Flight instructors will complete all training necessary to gain the CPL/IR & then progress to the flight instructors rating.

What opportunities are there for progression?

FlyLease aims to promote flight crews fast. First officers start their command training from day one so that they are ready for command upgrade on meeting the authorities requirements & subject to satisfactory performance throughout.

The flight instructor route is a particularly exciting opportunity as all cadets within this program will be fast tracked to teach future commercial pilots themselves to include the PPL, CPL & ME/IR. There maybe options for flight instructors to transfer onto multi-crew aircraft with fast track command a possibility.

How much is the training bond?

The total cost of training is £65000 + VAT. FlyLease will refund 50 % of the training costs during the employment over a 5 year period which forms part of a security bond for FlyLease. As we understand this is a large sum upfront we have introduced a stage payment system to assist the cadet in reserving & funding the training.

What sort of protection does the cadet have?

FlyLease will enter into a contract with the cadet to supply all the training provided. In the unlikely event that FlyLease is unable to fulfil the requirement then we will either outsource the training to other established flight training organisations or refund the costs accordingly.

What happens if I am not successful at various stages of training?

FlyLease will do as much as possible within their power to ensure the cadet meets the satisfactory progress throughout the training period. Extra training maybe required, however, if the cadet continues to fail the required grades, FlyLease will refund the bond less the used proportion of training.

Is having a JAR FCL PPL a minimum requirement?

Although we do ask for a JAR FCL PPL, this is not mandatory & really comes down to the individual, a NPPL maybe accepted.

Are you recruiting for qualified first officers or captains?

At the moment we are only recruiting for trainee cadet pilots at this early stage however we do anticipate the requirement for qualified crews in the near future. We aim to promote within so any qualified flight crew will normally be required on a temporary contract only. Any positions will be posted on our website.

How do I contact FlyLease?

Due to the immense response for this position we have made email the only form of communication at this early stage, however, telephone & address details will be disclosed shortly before interview stage.

Bealzebub
2nd Oct 2009, 15:37
"Guaranteed employment", "best individuals", "plan to obtain an Air operators Certificate", "fast track command a possibility", "due to the immense response for this position", "email the only form of communication at this early stage", "telephone & address details will be disclosed shortly before interview stage."

People, be ever so careful. Most companies, even those that can produce a 5 page website, will still provide an address and telephone number. Usually they are proud to tell you who the people are at the helm of their company. This one is even more anonymous than PPRuNe!

Beyond that. Caveat emptor!

Captain_Scooby
5th Oct 2009, 00:50
A quick "WHOIS" search turns up wonders...

Yowser.... scary what info is out there in the public domain!

eph6
6th Oct 2009, 07:11
Flash... you're too quick and flash for all these respondents. Two Posts. nice marketing bro. Since i know and if I keep it on the QT... can we split the cheques.
P.S. i liked the post on ppjn too. See you... you're good.

flash737
6th Oct 2009, 08:49
Lol, wish I was, I could do with a job first to pay for training.

I take it you haven`t applied then ?

sprthompson
7th Oct 2009, 12:21
You can also look up the company at companies house...

WebCHeck - Select and Access Company Information (http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/6c09adb478d256560ed927c35af9a251/compdetails)

FlyingGasMain
7th Oct 2009, 22:33
I'm sorry, but who goes around saying things like "The cost of training cadet pilots can be immense so we have developed the part sponsorship scheme.....".

Immense ?! A lot of money sure, but immense ? I would only go around saying the cost of something was immense if I was trying to get some poor punter to believe that £75k was a good price to pay for something with such an immense cost.

Fishier than a trawler and shadier than the dark side of the moon.

flash8
7th Oct 2009, 22:46
A whois as mentioned before... reveals:

Domain Name: FLYLEASE.COM
Registrar: DIRECTI INTERNET SOLUTIONS PVT. LTD. D/B/A PUBLICDOMAINREGISTRY.COM
Whois Server: whois.PublicDomainRegistry.com
Referral URL: Public Domain Registry | Home (http://www.PublicDomainRegistry.com)
Name Server: NS1.5YEARHOST.CO.UK
Name Server: NS2.5YEARHOST.CO.UK
Updated Date: 06-oct-2009
Creation Date: 03-mar-2009
Expiration Date: 03-mar-2010

I'd expect longer domain registration than a year!

My advice is an echo of others on this board and also of that veteran (and wise man) Clive Hughes - familiar to many of us:

Never, EVER pay upfront for a course - pay by instalments after each successful stage of training

OK.. CH didn't actually say these words... I am sure his exact words were somewhat more eloquent!

It's the GOLDEN rule of training!

wetfish
9th Oct 2009, 16:32
So if I read this correctly?

You get all the training (CPL/IR frozen ATPL) + MCC + J31 type rating and line training + job and they refund 50% of the whole amount

So that becomes about £32.500?

WF

Token Bird
11th Oct 2009, 13:55
Only if you don't read between the lines. What will really happen is you'll pay them oodles of money then they will disappear with your money and you'll get nothing. This company are sending unsolicited emails to flying schools trying to recruit PPLs and even people who are still doing their PPL to apply for this scheme.

Only a severe pilot shortage the likes of which we haven't seen for two decades would justify this action. Please don't fall for this, people, and if you do I have no sympathy!

TB

EK4457
11th Oct 2009, 15:05
Don't even think about it.

There are a couple of posters on this thread with no posting history. Always sends off alarm bells.

This type of scheme would have been generous 15 years ago. With a saturated market it is insane. Asking for £75,000 up fron it also insane. Not even OAA ask for that kind of outlay.

If you go for it, you will get what you deserve. Sorry.

EK

Torque Tonight
12th Oct 2009, 10:05
Hmmm. A sponsorship scheme where the first thing that happens is you give them £75k. Brilliant.

I wouldn't touch this with a sh1tty stick. I've had more convincing proposals in emails from Nigeria.

Too low
24th Aug 2010, 08:48
Just an update for curiousity.
Anyone know where this company have gone?
Their website says
May 2010: FlyLease officially launched this month with the lease of experienced ATR 42/72 flight crew to various clients.
But also says:
Our main focus for FlyLease will be on Crew Leasing during the early stages of operations however we are still working hard on raising the necessary capital to offer aircraft leasing services in the near future.

Please re-visit our website for future updates.
Do they have an AOC?