PDA

View Full Version : EncoreFlight at VNY

skaios
29th Sep 2009, 11:28
Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about a flight school called Encore Flight based out of Van Nuys. I was thinking of going there to get a CFI rating. They have a 2 week course at the end of which you get a CFI, CFII and an MEI rating. I personally thought 2 weeks is a little too short for all three ratings.

Any information about the school and/or the staff there would be appreciated.

Thanks.

DA-10mm
1st Oct 2009, 06:24
will they give you a job in the end?
sure it's a short course, but anything after the initial CFI-A ride is a total cake-walk, unless you're not cut out, entirely...

there are plenty of socal flight schools who'll get you "submersion" experience that you probably desire, in order to get you to that "next" job...

if you're in socal, looking for a job, PM me...may be able to help.

skaios
1st Oct 2009, 19:09
They aren't giving any guarantees as such but I've been told there's a reasonable chance of working with them when I get done.

I've already got my commercial from a part 141 school so I'm sure I can handle it. But the estimates I got from other schools were a lot higher in terms of the time required. That is why I was a little concerned.

What exactly did you mean by the "submersion experience?" The guy did seem like a smooth talker but there was also a hint of genuineness. So I'm still a little unsure which is why I'm trying to find out if anyone has had any experience dealing with them.

Thanks for the info though. If I do end up going I'll be sure to send you a pm.

jedinein
1st Oct 2009, 19:21
They used to be Hollywood Aviators. The school is a typical small flight school with instructors and aircraft availability to offer compressed courses. Afterwards, if you stick around, you can instruct there or at a few of the other schools at VNY. If you can attract students in addtion to Encore's marketing efforts, you will be a working CFI. If not, you'll be a starving CFI.

skaios
3rd Oct 2009, 09:17
Thanks for the info jedinein. OK, I'm going slightly off-topic here but what about Bel Air International or Sierra Academy of Aeronatics? Has anyone heard about them?

Also, does anyone have any ideas as to how to recruit students to come to the flight school you are working at? What are the different ways that one can go about doing something like that?

411A
4th Oct 2009, 03:21
Sierra Academy of Aeronatics?
This outfit has been in business for a very long time, and has trained many foreign student pilots in the past.
Don't know about now, however.

DA-10mm
4th Oct 2009, 05:37
"submersion" meaning "will you initially be busy enough to hone your skills, gain valuable experience, establish a clientele base etc?..." other than sitting around the school all day, waiting for a walk-up student/customer who may or may not be seious about their training/looking for just an intro flight, wants to only do a sight seeing flight, etc...

i haven't investigated but, are they 61 or 141? if 141, all of the marketing/recruitment should be intact in order to attract new students, and you should be kept busy if they're doing their job.

as far as recruiting new students, "The Savvy Flight Instructor" is always a good read. but if part of your job is "recruitment" make sure that they have some sort of compensation program in place for your efforts. if not, avoid 'em like the plague, as you are only being taken advantage of, as some schools most likely do.

HiAltFlyer
4th Oct 2009, 06:09
A little off the subject. What are the rates for an aircraft and instructors this days and are there people who can afford it and are willing to spend the money in the current economic climate?

DA-10mm
6th Oct 2009, 04:54
all i know is that i'm buried...
the "8 hours per 24 hour period" is always looking over my shoulder.
currently logging over 80+ hours/month.
but then our marketing and recruitment departments do an excellent job.

skaios
9th Oct 2009, 08:57
DA-10mm check your pm..