PDA

View Full Version : Question about user accounts

Sprogget
28th Sep 2009, 22:44
If I create a new account in Windows, does it allow me to create a new session in applications? I'm not explainng this very well - what I want to do is use a set top box in media centre for tv viewing. The box has a problem changing channels in media centre which I think can be fixed with trial & error, but I would like to leave undisturbed my present channel list which works fine using a freeview capture card.

It's a long winded process to scan & order the channels, hence my query - or am I demonstrating a fundamental misconception with user accounts?

Mike-Bracknell
28th Sep 2009, 23:01
I think i'm understanding you correctly, and the answer to your question is a tentative "yes", but it depends totally on how well the software has been written (and where it stores it's data). If it recognises applications on a "per user" basis then you should be fine, but if it is badly written and only recognises the computer on a "per computer" basis then it might be putting the data in a location that's shared between all logged-on users.

Anyway, adding a new user is a non-destructive process, so the easiest way for you to confirm this is to try it.

twiggs
28th Sep 2009, 23:35
Yes just create the account and then see if any settings from the other user carry over to the new user.
Then modify one setting in the new user account and see if the change occurs in the original user.

You could do an initial check in C>Documents and Settings and compare the All Users folder with the "user account" folder to see which folder the app stores it's data in.

Sprogget
29th Sep 2009, 08:03
Ok thanks chaps.