PDA

View Full Version : Could Nimrods be on the move?

Charlie Luncher
30th Nov 2001, 17:51
Found this whilst surfing the net from the local gazette:

Growth gives the lie to rumours of closure

MISGUIDED rumours concerning the "imminent closure" of RAF Kinloss have been part of the scuttlebut in and around Forres ever since the air force moved in more than 60 years ago.
But as Gazette' editor DAVID MORGAN knows all too well, the rumour machine is often on the mark, and on occasions acquires the truth entirely. Worries over the future base of the existing Nimrod fleet and unfounded doubts about its replacement MRA4 airframe have done little to stem the flow of negativity from some quarters.
But a recent tour of the massive Kinloss site - now half the size at London's Heathrow Airport - paints an entirely different picture which should reassure the area that RAF Kinloss not only has a future, but is preparing for growth with substantial upgrades in equipment and a rash of large new structures.
A MAN "in the know" told me months ago that RAF Kinloss would "never see the new Nimrod".
It's not the first time I've heard such predictions - and I fear it may be true.

RAF Kinloss has a bright future - not as home to the world's most sophisticated maritime search and patrol but as a military airfield in the wider sense. It is already a major NATO installation, and judging by the level of activity on the site this week, and planned work I have been told about, there can be no doubt that RAF Kinloss will remain important for many decades to come.
Commanding Officer, sees years of growth and service enhancement ahead at the base.
"There's a lot happening here, and we have a lot in the pipeline for the years ahead," he told me. "The station is preparing for the new aircraft and looking ahead."

To meet the new arrivals, a contract valued at £8 million is progressing well, and will deliver stronger and wider taxiways and resurfaced parking pans for the new fleets. New drainage facilities are evident and are due to be further improved to protect the airfield and the highly-sensitive nature reserve around Findhorn Bay.

Major works in progress
THE MAJOR expansion at RAF Kinloss is likely to see the Line Squadron replaced before 2005 and a major new construction alongside the recently completed Squadron HQ buildings to accommodate a new Operations Centre by 2004.
The existing Ops Block dates from the late 1950s and is unfit for its growing role. Further growth could see the existing ageing motor transport section replaced with modern premises, while plans are being examined to build a new medical centre complete with dental facilities.
The RAF Station HQ, a post-war construction well past its useful life, is also up for replacement, while a new training and education building costing around £250,000 is currently under construction.
Close to the rear of the recently modernised Officers' Mess and its £2 million kitchen suite is a new Ground Support Equipment building - a huge development which has cost nearly £4 million. The station is also set to see a new gymnasium and pool complex built on Southside, and plans are moving ahead for a child-care facility at RAF Kinloss.
These developments are in addition to recent new construction at the base. In the past decade, many old structures have been demolished and replaced with up-to-date buildings. The station boasts one of the finest Sergeants' Mess facilities in the country, has a purpose-built £7 million Supply Squadron complex, new Operational Conversion Unit school and other educational facilities, and a new main gate layout.
It all adds up to a confident view of the future -reassuring growth which should bring confidence to the local area.
"We have 2000 service personnel here, around 300 civilians and currently around 300 contractors on site," said Group Capt. "That's a measure of the station's status and its future."
Even though the Cold War has thawed, RAF Kinloss remains at the forefront of NATO air warfare. The station has seen four Nimrods based in the Middle East and committed to the war against terrorism in recent weeks, and the fleet is constantly airborne on antisubmarine and SAR patrols far from home.
It's an important military base heading for a long and active future. That's good news for the Forres area and Moray in general. The RAF have "grown up" in Moray and it seems clear they mean to stay.

with delays with nim2050 seems like a whole lotta work for some new visitors.
Maybe they will relocate the kippers to help retention and recruitment. :p

[ 30 November 2001: Message edited by: Charlie Luncher ]

moggie
30th Nov 2001, 18:43
If they are spending a fortune on new buildings and paint, you had better start working out the easiest way to drive to Cornwall.

A9 to EDI, M8 to GLA, M74 to Carlisle, M6 to Brum, M5 and then (if I remember correctly) A303 (or 330?).

Enjoy the move - at least the rain is warmer.

Stan Bydike
30th Nov 2001, 21:46
The road is a lot better now. You can turn off the A9 at Perth and its dual carriageway to Glasgow :cool:

BEagle
30th Nov 2001, 22:11
....to Glasgi', the Universe and beyond!!!

There's also a dual carriageway from V****y to civilisation nowadays, but the pointy-heads still whinge about the wretched place!

The Gorilla
1st Dec 2001, 19:28
Would all this work be for the new nimrod, you know, the one that's never flown yet and is at least 3 years (admitted) but really 10 years behind schedule??

maniac55
2nd Dec 2001, 14:21
Move Nimrods from HMP Kinloss?

Nothing would make me happier, which is why it won't happen. ;)

[ 02 December 2001: Message edited by: maniac55 ]

kipperman
3rd Dec 2001, 19:52
I can only help but feel that Charlie Luncher is either stupid or enjoys spreading misleading quotations. Nimrod MR4 is going to come to Kinloss, and that exactly what David Morgan said in his article. I have enclosed the exact passage that the quote was taken from.
Next time Charlie, do not miss out such an important sentence which changes the whole meaning of David's article.

Forres Gazette -
A MAN "in the know" told me months ago that RAF Kinloss would "never see the new Nimrod".
He confidently predicted the cancellation of the MRA4 project and the eventual closure of Kinloss because "the Cold War era is over".
It's not the first time I've heard such predictions - and I fear it won't be the last.
The only thing this latest pronouncement has in common with others before it is that it is patent nonsense.

[ 03 December 2001: Message edited by: kipperman ]

RAGBAG
3rd Dec 2001, 21:53
There's nothing wrong with Kinloss, 'cept that it's 500 miles too far North.

RAGBAG :D

Charlie Luncher
3rd Dec 2001, 22:31
Oops Rumbled
Genuine mistake :rolleyes:

KM you have spoilt all my fun

If you are the fun police then there is only 1 sqn you can be on! :D

[ 03 December 2001: Message edited by: Charlie Luncher ]

Judge Rembrandt
4th Dec 2001, 03:01
Kiperman - Those of us who know CL can say without fear of contradiction, that he is both stupid and enjoys spreading misleading quotations. Having said that though, we would not have the fat, lager swilling, bog trotter any other way!!
Days to do, eh Charlie!

Kindest regards.... JR :cool:

WORK TO RULE
4th Dec 2001, 03:11
Charlie,
Gday, wise words mate...and by the way oive got yer feckin number!
WTR ;)

Charlie Luncher
7th Dec 2001, 15:59
Judge now then stupid is a little harsh.

I would define stupid as running up hills in the UK while I sit by my pool drinking beer(thats beer not lager).

naah who is stupid now. :eek:

shack
8th Dec 2001, 13:48
I am beginning to think that I must be unique because I enjoyed my two tours at Kinloss...............or maybe it was just the Wrens at Lossie that made it enjoyable!!

Rolling Map
8th Dec 2001, 14:28
Its all been said before. Just the locals twitching that they maybe losing all that inject to there little jock purses.
Come on after all we are getting a cinema! ;)

TheSeeFarShadow
9th Dec 2001, 15:50
The best thing about Kinloss is that you get to go to hot sunny places and stay in a hotel (that isn't made of canvas.) Well some of us do!

Rolling Map
9th Dec 2001, 17:31
Seefar, dont count your chickens to soon. Now the fleet has proved its feasible the bean counters will be rubbing thier hands.

Rolling Map
:eek: