PDA

View Full Version : Logging Hours

jonjam
27th Sep 2009, 20:57
I have a friend who has a fith share in a Censsna, my querry is am I able to log the hours flown with him in the right seat. Some people say yes some not..I am not in the sindicate and therefore not insured. Are these hours loggable within the total hours flown?

Thanks
Jon

Sky Wave
27th Sep 2009, 21:09
This question has been asked loads of time.

It doesn't really belong in Wannabes and especially not twice!!!

I suspect your posts will be locked as soon as the mods see them, however to answer the question, No.

There can only be one commander of an aircraft and a Cessna is a single pilot aircraft therefore only one pilot can book the time. There really is no way around it.

zerotohero
27th Sep 2009, 22:11
But if he is rated in the aircraft and has his hands on the controls then he is PIC yes?

not sure how the insurance thing works, pretty sure in the US you dont need insurance for aircraft, not sure about the UK, but at worst your PIC with no insurance which still makes you PIC right

Nashers
28th Sep 2009, 17:44
if its a single pilot aircraft and the friend in the left hand seat has his autograph in the tech log, its his hours and his only unless he is teaching you.

this has been asked many times here. no way around it unless you sign for the aircraft yourself.

zerotohero
28th Sep 2009, 23:06
why the hard on for the left hand seat? do cessnas not have dual controls anymore?

OneIn60rule
29th Sep 2009, 11:04
You may not both log hours as pilot in command of an aircraft.

The rules in J.A.R. are not the same as F.A.A. land.

In the F.A.A. system you are both allowed to claim Pilot in command if one of you is under the hood and the other acting as safety pilot.

Take it a step further an F.A.A. Instrument Instructor can let you log DUAL as well as Pilot in Command. The reason this was done is apparently to allow you to have enough hours for your commercial rating.

When it comes to applying or doing a J.A.R. commercial, one has to remember those hours don't count as Pilot in command.

1/60

Yeah
30th Sep 2009, 19:17
I don't remeber no. of JAR article, but it was written that u can log hours only if the task requires second pilot. For example if you train before navigation contest or something like that... In that case, the PIC log solo hours and you on right seat log second pilot. I did that some times

IrishJetdriver
1st Oct 2009, 09:58
If you were giving instruction as an appropriately qualified FI then you would be P1 and the student PUT/Dual. If you were an examiner the same exists unless the student passes, then they would log as P1u/s.

Reverse the above if you are the student.

If it still applies, you, the student and the aircraft have to be members of the same club or one of you at least owns the aircraft and it is insured for instructional use.

In the UK, under JAR G- reg aircraft just because your mate has a cessna and you sat in it then you can't log it even if you spent the whole flight flying it. YOU have to be the official commander on the paperwork.

Max Angle
1st Oct 2009, 11:01
If it's a private aircraft it doesn't really matter who signs the tech. log as it's not a required document anyway, you must keep an aircraft and engine log book but retaining a flight by flight technical log is not required. If someone can find a rule saying it is then I will happily reconsider but I have flown loads of private aircraft over the years and rarely seen a tech. log in any of them. There is a big difference between a private aircraft and even small (flying school) commercial operations, don't confuse the two.

It's normally a requirement for AOC operations that the company designate a commander and the easiest way to do that is for the commander to sign the tech. log which is a required document for that sort of operation and must have multiple copies so that one is left on the ground and another copy is retained for the life of the aircraft.

If it's a private flight you just need to decide between you who is going to log the time because as has been said above you can't both log it and as long as you have access to flying controls doesn't matter where you sit. If you log it you do so as P1 and your friend can't put anything in his book that counts towards total flight hours, you obviously need to have a current SEP rating.

I often fly a friends aircraft with him and I normally pay the money and log it as my time to count towards my 12 hours SEP while he sits in the back and sorts out lunch and coffee, very civil.