PDA

View Full Version : Self Sponsored Type Rating

eagleflier
27th Sep 2009, 11:10
Hi all,

I'm one of the many 200+ hr guys who've been waiting for a job in Nigeria to no avail. Most airlines are not employing non-type rated crew at the moment due to the economic situation and the high cost involved in training.

I've been advised to go pay for a 737 TR which I am strongly considering even though I dont have $15k lying around. Another issue making me sceptical is the fact that spending that amount of money to obtain the rating does not guarantee immediate employment.

Does anyone know of any airline that'll guarantee me employment if I go get my TR? did I hear you say dream on?

So my question is
Is it advisable to pay for my type rating?
What impression does that give your prospective employer?
Does that make me look desperate?

NaijaNinja
28th Sep 2009, 20:01
eagleflier, shame that's not the new name for VK!
eagle air would have sounded sweet too!

anyho, not sure how long it would take eagleflier to get a 737 stamp, but if you had one right now or in probably another couple of weeks to come, AERO will take you, they are actively seeking targets like TRACON.

Guaranteed 100% information. Good Luck!

unablereqnavperf
30th Sep 2009, 20:12
By type rated they mean rated with experience on type! Not some one that has just bought a one size fits all type rating! Don't go into debt for a type rating! If you only have 200 hrs total thats even more reason not to buy a type rating as no one in their right mind will put you in a B737 with a minimum cost type rating an no further experience!

DA-10mm
1st Oct 2009, 06:14
...plus, there's not a lot of 737-drivers who're out of work right now, looking for work (even if it's in Africa), who have time on type...so go for it.
the 737 airframe, not very popular...dump 40K and go for it. Buy yourself a job....

powerstall
1st Oct 2009, 14:13
DA 10mm is correct. There are a ton of 737 drivers out there and out of work. Airlines would be interested in hiring high timers, or with command time and sad to say unless you really know somebody and i mean somebody from the inside they could open up a door for you.
Getting a type rating, would only give you a type rating... not time on type which the airlines are looking for.
Keep on flying. :ok:

18left
3rd Oct 2009, 06:45
unablereqnavperf/DA-10MM/powerstall

You are all very wrong,several airlines in Nigeria are employing type rated pilots with zero experience,fresh out of school.

Some will put you through thier recruitment process first,and if you pass,you will be offered a job,on successful completion of the type rating course.

the three majors ARIK/AERO/VK or whatever they call themselves now,have a lot of low time/no time intakes on 737/CRJ/EMB.

The performance of these lads have also been fairly good.

For purposes of employment IN Nigeria,a type rating is a very good idea,however it is advisable to pass thier screening interview before you invest in a type rating.

Also though there are many 737 drivers,note that most of these companies will start/have started limiting expat quotas due high associated costs,so you stand a good chance if you are a local!