PDA

View Full Version : British Antarctic Survey Q

zuluweather
27th Sep 2009, 00:47
Hi,
Experience requirements aside, what type of license would a Canadian ATPL need to fly with BAS? Is a JAA ATPL needed?
Thanks.

wingisland
12th Oct 2009, 11:37
I'm pretty sure you need a JAA licence as I believe the aircraft used are actually registered in the Falkland islands. Cool job though, I think their hour requirements are 1500tt with a large portion of that multi, no experience necessary on that sort of flying but it does help, i'm sure if you've got bush flying experience in a twin otter you'll go to the top of the pile.

buzzc152
12th Oct 2009, 14:34
Minimum hours for BAS are 2500 TT which may include some rotary time. There are no exceptions to this. A JAA, FAA or Canadian license are all acceptable to the Falkland Island Authorities. No specific experience of harsh environments or survey flying is required but would obviously be beneficial to an application.

Rds

Buzz

wobble2plank
15th Oct 2009, 08:47
Get used to cold, bad weather and penguins.

But then your Canadian so 2 out of three ain't bad.

The Falkland Islands are an odd place but can be very interesting if your an outdoorsy type. I found South Georgia fascinating!

Antarctica itself is amazing to fly around but the weather can change in a heartbeat. Never flew fixed wing there only the occasional rotary flight.

Have fun.