PDA

View Full Version : CAA vs FAA (and other) regulations

26th Sep 2009, 19:38
Whilst engaged in a discussion in my local about the proposed BA seat booking plan, a question was asked which I'm sure someone on here will be able to answer.

When booking with some airlines (mainly charter), they state that they can not guarantee that a family or other party will be allocated seating together and may be split up (unless a seating allocation fee is paid), and this may result in children being seated away from parents or guardian.

It was said that under FAA reg's, this is illegal (I don't know if this is true or not), and that when flying to the USA it is FAA rules that take precedance over CAA ones, and that the FAA do not allow children to sit away from parents, and so the airlines in question are acting illegally.

Could someone advise me if this is fact the case, and if possible, point me to somewhere where I could find this stated on the internet.

10DowningSt
27th Sep 2009, 10:46
I'll kick off until someone who really knows the answer decides to join in.....

The CAA now regulates to enforce EASA regulations, not its own, at least so far as civil air transport in largish aircraft is concerned.

As I understand it, the regulations that apply to any flight are those of its state of registry, no matter where it flies. BA therefore operates in accordance with EASA (until recently JAR Ops 1) no matter whose territory it is flying over, from, or into.

As a comment only, a regulation stating that families CANNOT be separated has to be absolutely unenforceable (although it may well usually be possible to keep them together) so I would hope that there is no such regulation under FAA, EASA or anyone else's jurisdiction. In any event, it's a commercial matter, not a safety one. So an airline may well have such a rule which it follows, but if so I bet there's a let-out clause.