PDA

View Full Version : A330 jerking landing oleos

leewan
26th Sep 2009, 13:50
I'm sure most people who have worked on an A330 in transit would have noticed this. The oleos seem to compress suddenly when it's being loaded with fuel or cargo to the extent that you can see the wings and engines shaking.
This can be felt very strongly in the cabin as well. Any idea why Airbus designed it this way ? I can't seem to see any merits in this design as they only produce unnecessary stress on the aircraft structure as a whole.

spannerhead
26th Sep 2009, 16:56
I'm quite sure that the stress on the structure induced by this jerking is very small compared to that of even a normal landing or flying through mild turbulance. The oleos are angled rearwards and therefore don't compress so easily as a vertical oleo due to seal friction on the silver bit. I guess that they designed it this way so that the oleo would be more vertical during a landing.

leewan
26th Sep 2009, 18:19
Spannerhead,

Like you said, the stress induced by the jerking is minuscule compared to that by a normal landing or turbulence, but I wondered why let the airframe go through it unnecessarily when they could do away with it just by adopting a conventional landing gear which compresses naturally as the load is added.( No sudden jerks) Why the added trouble ?:ugh:

Your explanation seems to answer the question. Staying on the topic, is the metering pin in the oleo electrically controlled for it to release at predetermined weight or a height ? What makes it jerk ? Thanks for the reply. :)

TURIN
27th Sep 2009, 02:29
As has been said it jerks due to friction of the seals on the fescalised (sp) area of the oleo. The 777 also does it but not as bad as the 330. The 330 will jerk more readily as the oleo is at an angle, not verticle. If the wheels are not chocked correcly to allow the aircraft to creep as the weight increases then this jerking action can be quite severe. There is a note in the AMM about it but I ain't looking for it now it's too late.
Hope this helps. :ok:

bvcu
27th Sep 2009, 10:37
As already stated look at the angle of the oleo , it isnt vertical so tends to stick then move abrubtly , the 777-300er is similar as it has different legs to the earlier 777's and tends to shudder more during loading.