PDA

View Full Version : Help needed from Jag pilots

Dukeyboy
28th Nov 2001, 04:15
I have been luck enough as an ATC cadet (I am currently undergoing RAF Aircrew selection) to have aquired a trip in the Jaguar simulator at RAF Coltishall. As I have never even visited the station, let alone seen the sim, can anybody tell me what it is like in terms of realism, and what I am likely to be able to do? Thanks guys.

Trust Kermit
28th Nov 2001, 15:26
Dukeyboy

The simulator at Coltishall is very good indeed. It is quite simply a mock-up of the front end of a Jaguar. All the gizmos included apart from the new fangled moving map displays.

The graphics are projected onto a large rounded screen in front of the cockpit giving approximately 150 degrees of vision. Very lifelike when compared to their old sim!

As for what you will do I'd imagine you'll get kitted up in flying gear, stuck in the sim and given the thing to throw around. No doubt there will be someone talking you through what to do and explaining how the thing works.

Hope this is sufficient info.

TK

ps. If you are standing behind the sim watching someone else make sure you hold on to something to keep you upright!
:rolleyes:

Trust Kermit
28th Nov 2001, 15:36
Oh...and good luck with OASC. Let us know how it went!

TK

pshakey
29th Nov 2001, 00:59
The best thing about the sim is that you don't ACTUALLY have to experience the Jaguar take off! :D

whowhenwhy
29th Nov 2001, 01:54
Curvature of the Earth, good headwind etc etc
:D :D

Things are always worse than they seem!

Jay Foe
29th Nov 2001, 02:14
Just
Another
Grossly
Underpowered
Air Force